Best Choice DVD+RW or DVD-RW Speed+DURABILITY

vbimport

I have a LiteOn SOHW-1693S with the following specs…
DVD+R Writing 16X
DVD+R DL Writing 4X
DVD+RW Rewriting 8X
DVD-R 16X
DVD-R DL Writing 4X
DVD-R 16X
DVD-RW Rewriting 6X
DVD-ROM Reading 16X
CD-R Writing 48X
CD-RW Rewriting 24X
CD-ROM Reading 48X

I watch maybe 5-6 movies a week, erase and reburn the DVD. I am looking for the fastest rewritable media as well as the longest lasting as far as retention of quality. My Sony DVD-RW 4X/2X usually give me about 45-50 rewrites before they crap out. I would prefer something that has a faster burn rate if possible. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Sam

Hi [B]samhfoley[/B], welcome to CD Freaks! :slight_smile:

Verbatim 8x DVD+RW, Ricoh 8x DVD+RW, Verbatim 6x DVD-RW are usually good choices.
(Upgrade your firmware to get the best support for the new RW media.)

I have used a lot of RW media for the same purpose (before I changed to using a external USB HDD in combination with a high-def media player), and found Verbatim’s DVD-RW 6x to be the best in terms of stability and speed. Too bad they didn’t make +RW 8x at the time.

Welcome to the forum :smiley:

The Verbatim 8x +RW and 6x -RW are great choices, my later LiteOn likes them very much :iagree:

Hi [B]samhfoley[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

The rewriteable media that is working best for me (in order of speed):

Verbatim 8x DVD+RW (MKM A03)
Ricoh 8x DVD+RW (RICOHJPN W21)
Verbatim 6x DVD-RW (MKM 01RW6X01)
Ricoh 4x DVD+RW (RICOHJPN W11)

Really good choices and suggestions.

Only the best stuff in case of DVD±RW. :sunglasses:

Now damned if I can find verbatim anything over here in Japan. I can find Ricoh however, but the pics I see from the DVD+RW 8X are different from what I have availaable…take a look at this

as compared to this, which was referred earlier…
http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2106

Same thing, you think?!? Sorry I am not more “in the know” in this field. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep em coming as what i can find in Japan is often different from what ya’ll can find. Thanks
-Sam

Wouldnt care about the cover, those you linked are for the japanese market only…

Also confused about firmware…never done anything except install the drive. How can I optimize my firmware for what I am doing…burning loads of DVDs and rewriting them. Again, thanks for the help ahead of time.
-Sam

In Japan, Verbatim is known as Mitsubishi. :slight_smile:

You can get JVC/Victor 6x DVD-RW in Japan as well, IIRC. You could try those too.

Will check Mitsubishi and see what’s available…found the firmware update, thanks

…checked and am only seeing DVD+/-RW 2 and 4 under Mitsubishi :sad:

any ideas on these…