Best chipset for speed/stability at dvd shrink/encoding?

hello,

i need some assistance in deciding which chipset and cpu to purchase for “shrinking” and re-encoding and well as creating iso’s of discs i burn. I have an abit nf7-s/socket A/XP-M as my gaming machine and a intel 775/P4 3.4HT for my g’friends machine. She is tired of me borrowing her machine since it is much faster at deep analysis of a disc as well as “shrinking” files to a s/l disc in addition to the 4 SATA ports which allow for more hard drives. I use multiple benq 1640 burners as well as yudenT02 and MCC004 media so it’s really easy for me to tell that the intel platform burns w/better cdspeed/plextools quality ratings than my amd platform.

so, I need to buy a new machine for a dvd shrink “station”, however, I am not sure which cpu/chipset/memory would be the most stable and fastest setup. i don’t care about graphics, but if faster SATA hd’s help, than i am all for it as well as 1GB vs 2GB or more of memory.

intel 775/ddr2, 939/ddr, am2/ddr2, conroe/ddr2, etc.???

in addition, please recommend a particular mobo if possible, since i have spent hours and hours on newegg, anandtech and dfistreet, ocworkbench, etc trying to determine which mobo is the most stable —note I am not interested in overclocking, only the highest quality burns possible!

thanks!

anyone?

Hi,

There’s just so many good solutions to your request and everyone will have a personal preference. Of course that P4 is faster than an XP, it should be if you compare the specs. What a “DVD Shrink station” needs is raw CPU power to do the re-encoding, so you need to get the fastest Dual Core processor you can afford. Memory isn’t that important and SATA hard disks are standard now anyway.

If you want the best that’s available right now and money is no object, look into the Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo with a Core 2 Extreme X6800 processor and some DDR2 800 memory. :wink:

Check out this link:

It compares all the newest (including OC’ed) processors with games, decrypting, encoding, etc… It covers conversion to Mpeg, divx, and more.

hey thanks for the info. I would prefer not to go all out for just a “dvd station” but doesn’t it matter how stable the sata and ide drivers are in winxp–meaning older chipsets are more stable established than newer ones?

also, is it my imagination that the intel system appears to burn better quality discs than the AMD–even when no real shrinking is involved? both systems have the same memory and wd raptor boot discs, so i am not sure why the intel setup burns discs w/less errors (same 1640 burners, have swapped those to eliminate the drives).

If you like Intel, then go with it. Traditionally an Intel CPU in combination with an Intel chipset is considered to be a very stable setup. They’ve always been top in video work as well. You absolutely need a Dual Core for shrinking and PentiumD 9xx prices have dropped considerably since the introduction of Core 2 Duo. So have Asus 955X and 975X boards that don’t support the new CPU’s, so if you want to save a buck and don’t mind the heat these chips generate, there’s your choice. If you can spend a little more however, then don’t hesitate to get a new Core 2 Duo and a 965P chipset. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how it would compare to an intel, but I have been running an amd athlon xp2500/abit nf7-s (overclocked) and recentlly started running an athlon 64 3000/abit ax8 (overclocked). The athlon 64 seems to be notibly faster than the xp. Of course if it were me, I would spend the extra bucks for an athlon x2 (50-60$ more isn’t that much more when you consider the overall cost of a system).

Have you removed the riplock from your drive? I have noticed that a fast ripper can sometimes make quite a diffrence with shrinking. Fyi my experiences are with nero but it is a very similar program (originally written by the same person). It kind of depends on how much compression is needed how much this will come into play.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=124905&highlight=riplock

i am seriously considering an amd 939 solution b/c i would like to re-use my ddr mem and agp video card while buying a very fast cpu in the x2 lineup. the best value in cpus seems to be the athlon 64 x2 4400 , though i am not sure that the 1mb cache will help w/encoding or “deep analysis”–feel free to comment on this. also, is 2gb of memory any faster than 1GB for using dvd shrink? btw, for ripping i already use an awesome reader the aopen 1648.

finally, does anyone know of a 939 mobo–doesn’t have to be nforce4 even, that is stable and has a agp video card slot? i have a geforce 6800 GT that i would like to keep using. I have seen the asrock w/both pci-e and agp on newegg, but all i really need for now is agp not dual slots…however 4 memory slots would be nice too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128307 ?
It’s kinda hard to get AGP motherboards today, ASRock’s board that was mentioned earlier does indeed work although it has some interesting quirks.
//Danne

I thought you preferred Intel? :slight_smile: Here’s one for a Pentium D that fits your needs. I got one for the same reason (AGP/DDR).

Nice CPU comparator here: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html (thanks to bigmike7 in another thread). Doesn’t have Shrink but CloneDVD and DivX video encoding benchmarks.

2 gig of memory shouldn’t make a diffrence unless you have huge amounts of other programs running using all your memory. I actually set up a burner and software in a system that only had 256MB of memory a few weeks ago. The system was bare (no other software installed). I was worried that it wouldn’t work but it actually ran fine and did not run out of physical memory (no increase in virtual memory/page file size and no slow downs). It did run somewhat low on memory , about 60 MB free, but aparentlly had enough. Of course even something like a few firefox browser windows can take 70-90Mb so that would only work with no other software installed. I have done it myself on systems with 512MB of memory with no problems many times, though if you have enough stuff running, you can run low on memory. 1 gig should be plenty even with a lot of other programs running and background stuff running. You really dont used over 1 gig unless you are a serious power user/multi tasker and even then, not always. Thats with windows xp anyway.

It might actually be worth looking locally for agp boards. As they are more or less discontinued by most manufactures, you might find something on clearance cheap (someones old stock). My personal prefrence are abit boards if you run across one. They run very stable (I would buy one even if I wasn’t overclocking) and most tend to overclock well if you choose to.

I’m currently running an ASrock Dual-Sata 939 (Link) mobo with an Athlon 64 3500. It has support for AGP & PCI-E as well as X2 Athlons and both SATA standards.

I’ve never had a problem with mine. Rock solid. :slight_smile:

thanks for the recommendations so far. i have read quite a bit about the ASRock, but what is the bottom line on that board? is it stable? there are a lot of reviews on newegg about the problems w/this board in terms of AGP, etc. also, both this and the Intel board above don’t come w/firewire.

I have been googling/pricegrabber/pricewatch all morning to find a decent K8T800Pro or NF3 mobo w/AGP/DDR, but the only one i have found is the basic Asus A8v…the deluxe appears to be available, but it is $180…too much for me. there are a few other value boards out there, but they have very limited features. I might just have to look local to find a board…

A firewire PCI-card isn’t very expensive (I use it too :slight_smile: ).

I was using an AGP card in it for over 12 months with no probs whatsoever, and have just changed to a PCI-E and so far no problems at all. Excellent value for money IMHO. :slight_smile:

do you have a particular Pentium D cpu that you recommend in terms of price/value? also, when reviewing that chart at Tom’s hardware, it seems like the athlon cpus are pretty much faster in every instance, so how would the pentium D stack up?

Not really - 930, 940, 950 - whichever falls in your budget. I got an 805 like 6 months ago, when the price war with AMD hadn’t started yet. The advantage of the 805 is that you can easily overclock it (533MHz FSB vs. DDR400), the disadvantage is that it uses a 90nm in stead of 65nm die, so it runs even hotter/needs more power. But it can even beat an Athlon FX-60 if you want (linky).