Best cheap netbook to buy: New Dell Mini? Windows XP versus Windows 7 Starter

vbimport

My GF’s dad is considering to buy a cheap netbook, and found that at the moment the new Dell Mini is really cheap, only EUR 229. This version still has WindowsXP, and for a EUR 30 upgrade he can pick the Windows 7 Starter edition. I’ve used XP and I’m using Windows 7 premium at my current laptop and really like it, but I’m not sure about the Starter Edition (especially when looking at the specs of the netbook).

Does anyone have any suggestions? EUR 220 seems like a really sweet deal, can’t seem to find any other netbook for a price that low :bigsmile:

Hi,

regardless of manufacturer, I would get a laptop with matte display - this Dell has a glossy one. At the moment I am sitting on the patio (50 meters off the coast of the Baltic Sea :slight_smile: ) with my Acer 1810TZ. Luckily the sun went down a few minutes ago, otherwise a glossy display is a pain in the ass :frowning:

Additionally, systems with 600 pixels vertical are not nice to use with Windows (regardless of version). On some dialog boxes, you won’t be able to access the “OK” “Cancel” buttons. Spend some Euro more for a small laptop with at least 768 px vertical. These are really worth the additional money.

Michael
P.S.: Interestingly, Dell Germany wants 279 Euros for that netbook, (299 for the version with Win7 Starter) :eek:

My advice is simple, try to get a 11" and get 2G ram, also ignore the starter edition, professional are working perfect with 2G ram.

I have an Comapq mini 110 with 2gb of ram is working perfect with windows 7 professional.

W7Pro is not needed unless the user has benefits from the advanced administration options. XP mode on Atom? LOL
That said, I agree with your hardware recommendation, but I think Home Premium should be good enough. No need to spend for options that are not used at all.

Michael

W7Pro is not needed unless the user has benefits from the advanced administration options. XP mode on Atom? LOL
That said, I agree with your hardware recommendation, but I think Home Premium should be good enough. No need to spend for options that are not used at all.

Michael

Thanks guys, I’ll pass along the advice! Yes very strange prices are that low for NL - the Dell mini starts at €229, or €249 if you want 24hrs delivery, or €259 with Win7 (not including delivery costs).

My daughters are both wanting their own netbook . . . as much as they’re online with school and just playing around I’m seriously considering getting them both one for Christmas.

With prices this low ($299 for US and < €299 for EU) you can buy 2 netbooks and still spend less than when you would buy one traditional 15" laptop. No more fighting over who can use the PC :wink:

Exactly.