Best CDRom for Audio Extraction

vbimport

Hey Guys!

What CDRom do you find gives the best quality for DAE? I'm working on backing up ALL of my audio cds (all 200+) and am using both a Sony 52x CDRom at work and a Mitsumi 48X at home to extract the audio. I used my LiteOn 32123S to extract on one disc, but got a pop in one of the songs. Thus far I've used both Nero's copyCD and NTi CDMaker Pro 2K for burning the discs. So far they seem to be good.

What CDRoms do you guys really like to use for pristine copies?

Personally I think that Plextor is still the king in its field when it comes to DAE…

First: if you are interested in high quality DAE, use exact audio copy!

Back on topic: go for the Plextor PX-40ts! It is the king/queen regarding DAE! I get 21sp while reading in secure mode with EAC. My LiteOn ltd-163 which should be a lot faster according to the specs only reaches 13 sp!

:smiley:

Plextor CD-ROMs and CD-RWs are highly recommended for DAE, I’ve used them reliably on ripping my entire CD-Audio collection for use with my Audiotron hardware mp3 player.

For the best quality DAE, you should be using Exact Audio Copy (www.exactaudiocopy.de). The interface is not the best it could be and has a lot of options that you can play with and possibly screw up but it does get the job done!

For quality mp3 encoding, LAME wins hand down. It is a command-prompt encoder but you can pass the parameters to it from EAC, the recommended settings these days are either --alt-preset standard or --r3mix. And make sure you encoding VBR mp3s, this will allow the encoder to adjust the bitrate according to the needs of the sampled frames. You should have a very hard time distinguishing this from the original encoding.

My motto is do it right now so you won’t have to redo it all again later. If the files seem bigger than you’d like, remember that in the future, you’ll be working with faster technology, bigger hard-disks and these files will be considered small by then but still in good shape.

I agree 100% A Plexi and EAC.

I like LG 52x CD-ROM & EAC.

Never found a Pop is ripped songs.

It is slow but accurate.

yes, but secure mode is DESIGNED to be accurate :wink: - the plex does the job faster

Well, I have used other Audio Ripping Progs.

No pops in any of them & they donot have SECURE modes.

Well an LG 52x can read even one of the badliest scratched CDs.

I disagree 100%.
The Plextor PX-40TS used to be the King of DAE but now it gets its ass kicked big time by many drives.

There are basically two things a drive can do when it detects errors in the audio stream: slow down and read the data again.
The Plextor simply ignores errors and keeps reading at full speed.

Most current drives slow down after errors were detected.
The current King of DAE, the Teac CD-W540E slows down when it detects errors AND reads the faulty sectors again.
So this means you can get the best quality with any ripper.

The error detection functions of EAC are very ineffective.
Because EAC re-reads small blocks again to verify, the pickup is constantly moved back and forward which actually increases the chance of errors.
However, the end result is good because EAC keeps reading until it’s 99.9% sure that the data is correct.

A few months ago I ran a test with the Plextor PX-40TS, LiteOn LTD163 and Teac CD-W540E with a damaged audio disc.
LiteOn LTD163: errors: 46, speed: 26.6x
Plextor PX-40TS: errors: 2196, speed: 27.2x
Teac CD-W540E: errors: 0, speed: 26.2x

My Asus CD-S500/A always gives the same read- and test CRC when there where no read errors.
I never heard a tick or something on ripped wave files when there where no read errors.
From the 552 riped cds there where only 29 cds with not audible read errors.
For cds with audible read errors I had to polish the CD and ripping again.
There where only 3 cds so far where this doesn’t help.

This Asus is a very good drive for secure ripping with good C2 error correction.
But a very bad drive for ripping protected audio cds.

I had a Teac cdr witch gives me almost always a different read- and test CRC when there where no read errors.
This means you can’t trust the read result.

For cdrfreak2:

Never happened to my plextor drives! when they find an error they really slowdown sometimes to 1x and then they go up again!

Originally posted by cdrfreak2
The error detection functions of EAC are very ineffective.
Because EAC re-reads small blocks again to verify

is there a better way to verify information that to check it more than once?

The program CDP32 uses a different algorithm based on checking the integrity of the subchannel data.
It has two major problems compared to EAC :

1. It doesn’t report if errors occured
    2)It’s not free

But, trying the evaluation version with a scratched CD and an Hitachi GD-7500, it extracted much cleaner wavs than EAC, and much faster.
Too bad it doesn’t report errors ! I notified the author, but he didn’t seem to care.

Originally posted by ckin2001

is there a better way to verify information that to check it more than once?

No, there isn’t, unless you know for 100% sure that your drive supports C2 pointers correctly.
But the verify function of CD DAE does not have the problems that EAC has.
And it’s much faster.
But it doesn’t correct any errors if it finds them.

Originally posted by sasha79
[B]For cdrfreak2:

Never happened to my plextor drives! when they find an error they really slowdown sometimes to 1x and then they go up again! [/B]

With the Plextor PX-40TS also?
It does that with data cd’s (as with all drives) but not with audio cd’s.
My Plextor 12/10/32 doesn’t slow down either with audio cd’s.

With plex 40 tsi never had problems!