BEST CD-Rs for backing up Playstation (1/one) games?

I’m thinking about getting either Mitsui Gold 74 minute or Taiyo Yuden 74 minute (which colour is best?) for preserving my original PS1 games that I paid a lot of money for. Which is the absolute best brand I can get? I know the two I just listed are always high quality but, I know that PS1 has special conditions that are to be met if you want the FMVs (movies) to play without a single skip. One disc I know for a fact worked well was Hewlett-Packard C4432A 74 minute/650 MB as I tested this back in mid-2001 and it played everything great. The bottom surface is gold. Now, I live in the US so, I’m going to need brands that I can easily get here-- even if I need to get it online (which I now prefer anyway). Remember, I’m going to need to know exact brand, “model” (gold, silver, or what?), and dye type. Do those black-coloured CD-Rs work well? They look just like PS1 CDs. I was thinking they may work well. Thanks for all advice you at Club CD Freaks give me.

I found out that the H-P Gold CD-R that I mentioned earlier is indeed a Mitsui disc. Here’s info from Ahead’s Nero CD Speed for proof:

Manufacturer : Mitsui
Code : 97m27s55f (What is this for and what does it mean? It looks like a timecode for a 99 minute CD-R (97:27:55 is the way the timecodes should be written))
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 5: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 74:05:10
651 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

Will anything else besides Mitsui Gold work perfectly on the PS-X/One?

You may want to try Fujifilm 48x (if you’re in North America) or Verbatim DatalifePlus Metal Azo 16x (if they’re still available). These types of discs are the most reliable in my opinion and give the lowest error rates. As a general rule, Mitsui makes very good CD-R’s, however newer discs tend to have more errors than the older ones.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
You may want to try Fujifilm 48x (if you’re in North America) or Verbatim DatalifePlus Metal Azo 16x (if they’re still available). These types of discs are the most reliable in my opinion and give the lowest error rates. As a general rule, Mitsui makes very good CD-R’s, however newer discs tend to have more errors than the older ones.

Who ultimately makes those discs? I can’t get any 16x discs around here. It’s all 32x and higher around here. Now, secondly, what’s the best discs I can get for audio mastering/production? I want the highest quality disc with a WHITE TOP so I can use a printer to print onto the top surface. I may end up going with Mitsui Gold and/or Taiyo Yuden. Is it possible for me to get both with white tops?

Edit: I forgot to indicate what size I want: 74 minutes CD-DA / 650 MB Mode-1 Data. Finally: I don’t want to take a chance of getting the wrong package with that Fujifilm. What EXACTLY is it I need to look for on the package? Country of origin? CD colour? Dye information?

THANKS!

The Fujifilm packages you want are the PLAIN (not the multi-coloured discs) 48x spindles OR jewel cases. They’re 80 minutes in length BUT they’re higher quality than ANY 74 minute disc, mainly because 80 minute discs require stricter quality control. Have a look at the KProbe scans around on this forum and you’ll see why I recommend them. These discs are made by Taiyo Yuden (the original and still the best) and use Super Cyanine dye. All Taiyo Yuden’s discs are produced in Japan at Taiyo Yuden’s manufacturing plant. Generally, any CD-R disc made in Japan is of good quality.

I don’t know if you can find these discs in the US, but Taiyo Yuden has it’s own brand called “That’s CD-R”. There is a White Printable EX version of the That’s CD-R and they are the best CD-R’s I’ve ever used. Luckily I’ve still got five 10-pack cartons of these! :bigsmile:

The Verbatim 16x is not made any more and is very hard to find, however, you may be able to find some leftover stock or other discs that use the same dye, such as the Yamaha DiscT@2 discs, although they are really too expensive to consider. Mitsubishi/Verbatim’s CD-R Audio also uses the Metal Azo dye, but they’re not very reliable on PC burners, because of their slow recording speed (LiteOn’s SMART-BURN limits them to 12x) and higher error rate.

So to wrap things up, stick with Taiyo Yuden-made CD-Rs and you should be VERY happy.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
[B]The Fujifilm packages you want are the PLAIN (not the multi-coloured discs) 48x spindles OR jewel cases. They’re 80 minutes in length BUT they’re higher quality than ANY 74 minute disc, mainly because 80 minute discs require stricter quality control. Have a look at the KProbe scans around on this forum and you’ll see why I recommend them. These discs are made by Taiyo Yuden (the original and still the best) and use Super Cyanine dye. All Taiyo Yuden’s discs are produced in Japan at Taiyo Yuden’s manufacturing plant. Generally, any CD-R disc made in Japan is of good quality.

I don’t know if you can find these discs in the US, but Taiyo Yuden has it’s own brand called “That’s CD-R”. There is a White Printable EX version of the That’s CD-R and they are the best CD-R’s I’ve ever used. Luckily I’ve still got five 10-pack cartons of these! :bigsmile:

The Verbatim 16x is not made any more and is very hard to find, however, you may be able to find some leftover stock or other discs that use the same dye, such as the Yamaha DiscT@2 discs, although they are really too expensive to consider. Mitsubishi/Verbatim’s CD-R Audio also uses the Metal Azo dye, but they’re not very reliable on PC burners, because of their slow recording speed (LiteOn’s SMART-BURN limits them to 12x) and higher error rate.

So to wrap things up, stick with Taiyo Yuden-made CD-Rs and you should be VERY happy. [/B]

OK, so are the only Japanese-made CD-Rs on the market made by Taiyo Yuden or shouldn’t I trust that “Made in Japan” text on a package? If every “Made in Japan” pack of CD-Rs is definitely 100% made by Taiyo Yuden, I should just look for the “Made in Japan” text, right? I never saw “That’s CD-R”-branded CD-Rs before in the US so, this may not be an option for me. I’m looking on www.mediasupply.com for CD-Rs so, if you know of a cheaper place that sells Taiyo Yuden-made blank CD-Rs to customers in the US, please let me know. Thanks again.

PS: What’s “KProbe scans”?

(Edit: After running a search for “That’s CD-R” on Google, I notice that only Japanese, Korean, and English pages from OUTSIDE THE US show up. Mainly Japan, Korea, and Australia. Looks like I’m out of luck with “That’s CD-R”. I may have to order the Taiyo Yuden blanks from www.mediasupply.com …)

TYs are definitly good for PS. I burn a lot of PS2 games a lot of times non TY would just plain not work. If they work, the drive makes really weird sounds, probably rereading from all the errors.

Playstation 1 seems to be very sensitive for jitter compatbility.
So you need a disc which will work good incombination with your writer.
This means in most cases that the 3 disc’s metioned here will work excellent in most cases. Keep in mind however that some writers still won’t like 1 of 3 of these disc’s.

Combinations to avoid. Because of error ratio not because of jitter.

brand writer -disc

ASUS - MItsui / MAM-(E)
Lite On - VErbatim Metal AZO (IF it’s a model above 32x then stay away. Lite On can burn very good on some AZO disc’s but on other it fails. (And some other writers(non Lite On) write the same batch perfect!)
Artec - TY

For audio in Europe MAM-E(Ex mitsui Europe ) makes Pro-Studio which is a gold disc optimised for low speed (studio) recording ( up to 8x)
These disc’s seem to behave like the very old generation of Mitsui gold. I actually think that they just use the old procedure for these disc’s including quality of the raw materials and quality controle and now are selling these for a higher price.

verbatim vinyl cdrs. they are the old metal azo verbatims. these work best with ps1. if your writer is compatible then they are without a doubt the best. i’ ve used many brands including ty on an old ps1 but the only cdrs which worked without any dramas were the verbatim metal azo. also, burn them at a lower speed. i found 8x to be the best. finally, like mentioned above, liteon burners do not work well with them at all so use an older burner or one that is compatible.

When I still could find ém I bought alot of Kodak Gold´s,they where great with my kids Ps1´s .Nowaday´s I use Plextor branded T-Y and the are working very well./gs.

I tired backing up Strikers 1945 II while using CDRWIN 3.9A on a Pine 48x 700mb. Obviously it was burnt at 1x but it came out as a no read on the PSX. The data was all there displayed on PC but otherwise it was a no go. Could this perhaps be due to the Pine 48x’s not being 1x compatible? Any help is gladly welcomed.

The Best CDR media for backing up PS games would be the Verbatim DatalifePlus w/ the dark blue bottom. I’ve backed hundreds of PS games and have used numerous brands from Princos, TDK, Maxell, Memorex, Sony, Imation and the Verbs.
Best ones were the verbs.