Best CD-R 80 media is now ... what?

Hello,

I’m a bit late with all the CD/DVD news … anyways I noticed my CD audio player (in car) has problems with reading most of recent widely available CD-R media (transparent reflective layer, e.g. Memorex or modern Verbatim).

Can someone enlighten me what is the best (in terms of compatibility) CD-R 80 media (for audio CD) out there now?

It seems my past favorite Verbatim dark-blue is gone for good, all i can buy in local stores in transparent (good for data, not that good for audio). Green ones are a joke, my burners cannot even burn on that … I read good stuff about golden reflective layers (e.g. Kodak Ultima) … but where exactly do you get them from? there is no such stuff in local stores (transparent/silver and green layers only) …

thanks for input.

Hi and Welcome!

with picky players (like your car stereo), it’s not only the blank media that matters, it’s also the drive that is used for burning these discs.

From my personal experience with a picky player, you should expect best results with media made by TY, CMC and Ritek burnt with either a Pioneer or Nec-based Optiarc. Recommended burn speed: 8x-16x.

Michael

thanks for info mciahel.
unfortunately i got only 2 DVD burners at my disposal and they are Lite-On 20A1L SATA in my desktop and some Toshiba laptop’s Matshita DVD-RAM burner.
Also it seems I cannot buy in US those medias you named, at least not in any of local stores. I will keep looking for Kodak Ultima CD-R (or anything else with no green or transparent reflective layer) just to see if it makes any difference for my car player.

[QUOTE=feniks;2305513]thanks for info mciahel.
unfortunately i got only 2 DVD burners at my disposal and they are Lite-On 20A1L SATA in my desktop and some Toshiba laptop’s Matshita DVD-RAM burner.
Also it seems I cannot buy in US those medias you named, at least not in any of local stores. I will keep looking for Kodak Ultima CD-R (or anything else with no green or transparent reflective layer) just to see if it makes any difference for my car player.[/QUOTE]

The trouble with your burners is that neither one of them is particularly good at writing CD-Rs; in fact, they’re no better than mediocre at CD burns. (This is based on my experience with Lite-On and Mat(su)shita burners very similar to yours.)

oh well, i suspected that cheap Lite-On can’t be good for everything LOL … it’s OK for burning data CDs and DVDs … but audio CD hmmmm … sucks to play that in older players.

seems like no matter what i do it will not play nice in my car hehe. i don’t feel like buying new DVD burner (Pioneer preferably) as of yet, so i may try a gold reflective layer blanks first (if i ever find it).

it sucks that they do not sell anymore the Verbatim (Metallic AZO - dark blue), never had problems with them in past.

Do you buy cd/dvd blanks in some internet store? which one is good?

in local stores i found only Memorex and Verbatim (both silver/transparent reflective layer), and Sony Audio CD (green layer, none of my burners could write on them). not much of a choice…

maybe try maxell, the back is not clear but a light blue or possibly the green you said did not work, also sony might work. i had some memorex clear layer where the data is gone and some memorex that was a blue/green layer and they play great. bought around the same time. but i record on stanalone cd recorders so maybe there is a difference there.

The problem is not the media, it’s the drives that are used.

Michael