Best CD media?

Hello,

I joined this forum some time ago to get info about burning DVDs, and what media to use. I got terrific responses, and am now burning great DVDs!

I have been burning CDs for a long time, and usually have no problems, although I have used many different brands of media, usually the most reasonably priced.

But now I am wondering about this, as I have burned a few CDs that are now in the 8 month to 1 year range, and they skip and don’t play well. They are clean, and handled carefully, and while factory CDs play perfectly in my players, some of my burned CDs don’t. Is it possible the media is the problem?

If so, what is the preferred media of CD buffs?

I went all over the forums, and other than technical reports, which are greek to me, I can’t find a recommendation for a particular brand.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dusty

The “best” CD-R media depends on your drive, on what speed you burn at, and it may also depend on what characteristics you consider important, such as toughness, the ability to be burned at maximum speed, or how easy it is to read/play in different drives.

That being said, the two best CD-R media in my opinion are:

[ul]
[li]Verbatim DataLifePlus Crystal + Super AZO CD-R 52x[/li][li]Taiyo Yuden CD-R 48x (mine are under the Plextor brand)[/li][/ul]Some drives will burn one with better quality than the other, but most drives will burn these two media very well.

Another important issue is burning speed. Only the best drives will be able to burn CD-R media at maximum speed with the same quality (readability) as when burning at a slower speed.

Many would tell you to burn Data CDs at 32x and Audio CDs at 16x, and although that is very simplified, it’s a good rule of thumb.

So I suggest you first try to burn your current CD-R media at 16x when you’re burning Audio CDs or MP3 CDs for your players, and you can increase the burning speed to 32x for Data CDs.

If that doesn’t work for you, try getting some better CD-R media like either of the media I listed above.

Add Verbatim Pastels. These are a Taiyo Yuden dye & excellent.

Yes, Verbatim Pastell are great media unless you use them with Sony DW-G120A/Liteon SHM-165P6S. I got horrible results, even at 24x write speed.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=181368

Michael