Best Canon Pixma iP7220 refillable ink tank

vbimport

Thanks to CDan I am persuaded to go down the Canon iP7220 route for future printing needs.

I will be using this printer primarily on glossy photo paper and Taiyo Yuden Watershield media (CD, DVD, BD). I am thinking of investing in refillable ink tanks and am asking if anyone has input on good/bad makes to watch out for.

Thanks in anticipation of any feedback.

Giving this a bump to see if any member can provide any input.
TIA,
Dave

I have forgotten the name of the Amazon Storefront Vendor that has a good reputation for quality ink among some of our members. (We used it for seemingly equivalent Epson printers, but we ended up wasting Geniune Ink to do Unclogs and Maintenance, so we reverted away from the non-Genuine ink. But that vendor had a good rep - I don’t know if I can recall it, though.)

(I did a quick scan on Amazon USA of “continuous ink system in Computers” and I didn’t recognize that vendor’s name.)

But one feature that was good - these continuous systems can present challenges to install, but the far bigger issue should be Quality Of Ink.

And we tested the ink - in that vendor’s cartridges - before discovering the clogging problems. So we never had a “system install” challenge. Whew.

Maybe our other folks can jump in here with more precise directions.

I have been doing some searching too - not just on this site and I am left wondering if the non-OEM route is cost effective. I have seen your comments about having to use OEM to unclog and do maintenance and wonder if I am actually doing more damage to the printer (and my wallet) by going down this route than I would if buying the OEM carts.

I don’t know about “damage to machine” but perhaps “to wallet”. Certainly, if it takes a user 10 or 15 or 30 (!!) Clean-Printhead Cycles, then wallet alone isn’t just a factor - it’s all that wasted time of sitting there, every minute or two, running another cleaning, and another test print, then starting all over.

Do that for an hour, and it’s pretty torturous. Ask someone to do it over 2 hours, and they’ll find other things to do. “Sorry - I had to poke my eye out with a sharp stick… I’ll try again tomorrow, OK?”

That was actually more of a concern - wasted time - than the final cartridge costs - which could be exorbitant, too.

But I don’t know about actual physical damage. IF that occurs, I’d march the unit back to the RMA process and use overheated-print circuitry as my complaint.

Our Epson Artisan & Expression ‘fails’ were all involving the Black Ink, and those appeared just after the Half-Usage Level on the ink cartridge. By that point, the print-head was clogged and couldn’t be cleaned with THAT cartridge.

One successful experiment was to install only a Genuine Black, do the print-head cleaning, then replace it with the Clone Black and proceed. That worked for about the same amount of time - another “half of Black used” before clogging (streaks, stripes, blobs).

Cleaning the print-head once a week or every few hundred print jobs isn’t a bad thing, I’d suspect.

So an argument might be made to “use Clones, and do cleanings twice as often, saving the expensive Genuine for that purpose alone.”

I strongly advise against refilling unless you use more than 2 sets of tanks per month. It’s a pain, messy and offers too many opportunities for introducing contaminates into the ink. Same argument against CIS unless you use a set of tanks every week.

LD has an Amazon store front, plus their own site, http://www.ldproducts.com/.
I’ve used their compatible tanks for years now with no issues of any kind. Colors are identical as well, no weird color shifts or variations. Its also a good source for laser toner and other types of inks.

Be sure to compare prices on Amazon vs their own site, sometimes they vary.

[B]ALL[/B] tanks have a certain number of faulty units, bad chips, etc, whether they are OEM or compatible. At least with compatibles you lose less when you have to toss one.
[B]ALL[/B] inkjets experience issues with clogging regardless of the ink used. The solution is always the same whether you have compatible or OEM ink, and it wastes ink. Why not waste cheaper ink?