BEST BUY to recommend Blu-ray as the Customer's Digital Format Choice

vbimport

MINNEAPOLIS–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY - News) is taking a step forward in addressing consumer confusion about high-definition formats. Beginning in early March, the leading consumer electronics retailer will prominently showcase Blu-ray hardware and software products in its Best Buy retail and online channels in the United States.

“Consumers have told us that they want us to help lead the way. We’ve listened to our customers, and we are responding. Best Buy will recommend Blu-ray as the preferred format,” said Brian Dunn, Best Buy’s president and chief operating officer. “Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them.”

Dunn continued, “Best Buy has always believed that the customer will benefit from a widely-accepted single format that would offer advantages such as product compatibility and expanded content choices. Because we believe that Blu-ray is fast emerging as that single format, we have decided to focus on Blu-ray products.”

“With the explosion of HDTVs, customers are hungry for quality, high definition content. We believe our move to feature Blu-ray should help consumers feel confident in their hi-def content choices,” said Mike Vitelli, Best Buy’s senior vice president, Home Solutions. “Best Buy is excited by the next generation of digital products and we know our customers are too. We are excited about helping customers find the right mix of products and services to make the next generation of high definition entertainment technology come alive for them. We believe that Blu-ray is the right solution for consumers.”

Best Buy currently carries a wide array of Blu-ray hardware and software products. The company noted that it will continue to carry an assortment of HD-DVD products for customers who desire to purchase these products.

Source: Press release

This is not a change in policy for BB, just a confirmation of what they’ve been doing all along.

Yeah last week I heard from a reliable source that Toshiba had secret shoppers in Best Buy trying to find out what HD players the sales people were recommending. (really):rolleyes: What has changed if they are still going to carry an assortment of HD-DVD products?
Best Buy at my location had quite a few open box Toshiba HD players for cheap last week. (returns I suspect). Some A-30’s for $159.00.

Yeah… they are still selling HD DVD movies and players, but they don’t want people to buy it?? LOL

If i listened to BB sales personnel i would have crappy purchases in most every way…

I wouldn’t advise people not to jump on the HD-DVD and BD bandwagon right now is not the time as they are still fighting over the format wars…plus DVD right now are more plentiful and more available to the general consumers only those newtech would go that far. I for one like the newtech but always be wary of just jumping on to new tech without weighing the pro and cons first. I for one will stay away from HD or BD for the time being as most of my viewing and format comes on DVD and I can live with the resolutions and plus alot of older movies are still in DVD format so just going to HD or BD doesn’t mean those older movies will come out in HD or BD.

I don’t understand why some of you here want to re-purchase the same movies you have on regular DVD?

Play your purchased regular DVD’s on a Blu-ray player…yeah right.

Are you guys nuts or maybe i’m not understanding something here?..

Did I forget to mention you have to buy a new television as well besides the $500 for BD you have to spend around $1000 for a decent HD tv as well so til those prices really come down the benefits someone tell me what I am really benefiting from spending $2000 for??? Espically with the economy in the slumps…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1998175]Did I forget to mention you have to buy a new television as well besides the $500 for BD you have to spend around $1000 for a decent HD tv as well so til those prices really come down the benefits someone tell me what I am really benefiting from spending $2000 for??? Espically with the economy in the slumps…[/QUOTE]
yeah your missing out on a few pixels and yes it is noticeable but not much. Save your money and buy a new house, pc, car etc…

[QUOTE=Bob;1998150]If i listened to BB sales personnel i would have crappy purchases in most every way…[/QUOTE]

A lot of them are not to bright, all you have to do is to start asking a little more involved questions and they are hooped.

This kinds of reminds of a saleman that was trying to sell a couple a upscaling dvd player and he told them that there was no such dvd player that would upconvert via component to 1080p. I overheard this and called him on it because there was one sitting on the shelf. What transpired later was that the player was hook up in the store and was demonstrated and indeed had the ability to upconvert to 1080p via component. This was done in front of about 10 people. Well the salesman is no longer working there.

:cool::cool: