Best burners for verifying / scanning?

vbimport

It’s been a while since I was shopping for burners, and often by the time there is any consensus about a model it has come and gone.

Assuming that frills like light scribe are not important, what burners are available that support the max number of burn measurements (like jitter) and which can readily be flashed / modded to work well with other than top-shelf media?

Spending an extra $10 or $20 on a burner doesn’t really matter to me if you know of some source that has remaining stock on a model with a good reputation but that is sold out everywhere else.

You could look in Newegg.com and look over their burners for one that meets your need is the best way to go

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2530504]You could look in Newegg.com and look over their burners for one that meets your need is the best way to go[/QUOTE]Did that first. I always put more stock in what people have to offer here.

Lite-On iHASx22/iHAPx22 series.

Lite-On iHAS524 (this is the only 24x Lite-On that can currently guarantee a Mediatek based drive suitable for scanning.

This is a great price on one of the best all-around burner/scanner/rippers to come along recently. DL quality scanning/burning with the iHAS X24’s is significantly better than the X22 generation. A quick cross-flash is required to enable all of it’s scanning abilities. You can even turn it into a Plextor if you wish ;). Do not buy a Lite-on iHAS X24. You will almost certainly receive a rebadged Optiarc drive in the US. These ASUS rebadged Lite-on’s are the only way to be sure of getting a real X24 Lite-on anymore :rolleyes:.

I’ve always rated LiteOn for that purpose, personally. Although the most “recent” one I have is the 20A1H. As Dean mentions above though, check carefully (i.e. ask here) as not all recent Liteys have the MediaTek chipset. :frowning:

Thread moved to the main CD and DVD Writers forum for further advice. :wink:

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2530617]Lite-On iHAS524 (this is the only 24x Lite-On that can currently guarantee a Mediatek based drive suitable for scanning.[/QUOTE]The Mediatek chipset was supposed to be the good one, involved in some patent infringement suit I read about.

Many thanks!

Looks like it could be this one?

Model iHAS524-T98A

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2530617]Lite-On iHASx22/iHAPx22 series.

Lite-On iHAS524 (this is the only 24x Lite-On that can currently guarantee a Mediatek based drive suitable for scanning.[/QUOTE]It appears that Lite-on has decided to keep the hunt for an MTK drive interesting :confused::). The US product page does not mention “smart-erase” as a feature of our iHAS524-T98A. The EU product page for your iHAS524-32 does include it. Wondering if we might be getting a rebadged Optiarc AD-7263. As labelflash is also capable of labeltag, it seems like a real possibility with the lack of smart-erase. I believe I shall let someone else spend their money to find out :o. Too busy spending mine on real MTK’s in ASUS wrappers:bigsmile:.
Thank you for all your help with CK’s tweaking efforts to make these excellent drives even better for us :clap:.

[QUOTE=lasitter;2530677]The Mediatek chipset was supposed to be the good one, involved in some patent infringement suit I read about.

Many thanks!

Looks like it could be this one?

Model iHAS524-T98A[/QUOTE]If you want the very good MTK quality scanning chip capable of lightscribe and labeltag and cross-flashable to iHAS424 and 524, the ASUS DRW-24B1LT has been a sure thing. Or you could buy one of those and let us know what you get :)?