Best burner for Verbatim +R DL MKM 003?

Last time I bought +R DL verbatims they turned out to be MKM 003. I didn’t even noticed this until nero disc verify failed. Nero DiscSpeed showed PIF spike at cca 500MB before layer break and huge one at layer break. Disc was unreadable after layer break.

I burned it and scanned with Lite-on DH-20A1S with 9L08 firmware from LH-20A1S. I also updated it’s firmware to 9L09, and also flashed it back to DH-20A1S UX14 firmware. But PIF spikes were present every time. Best disc score was about 40. MKM 001 had 95…

I also tried with Asus DRW-1814BLT 1.13 firmware and also with 1.14. Results were somewhat better, but quality was also nothing spectacular. Best results were with old Lite-on SOHW-1653s. It also had two spikes as the rest of them, but they were smaller so scan score was 70. Write speed was 2.4x, max I could choose. Other discs were burned at 4x.

So, is there some burner that can write to these MKM 003 reliably? Preferably SATA drive.

you could start here, then look in the individual drive forums for more results
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/mitsubishi-chemicals-dvd-r-dl-97058/

also your 20A1P can flash to 20A4P, use the DUAL version
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-dh20a4p-h-fast-burn-enhanced-overspeed-enhanced-oht-firmware-231875/

and here is a flasher
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/flash-utility-liteon-based-optical-drives-v3-0-3-new-190420/

Thanks for first link, it seems that with these discs it’s a matter of luck how they’ll turn out. Mine are MIT, and as far as I could tell these are worse (or pickier) than MIS. I guess I’ll try with Pioneer or Samsung burner. Only “problem” is that only Pioneer available here is DVR-216DBK and Samsung SH-S223Q and SH-S223F, I guess that in Samsung’s case only difference is color, q is black and F is white. But Pioneer has many similar model…

Unfortunately my liteon is 20A1S, that dual firmware didn’t work well, when I started the exe it said there isn’t any supported burner connected, and when I used flash utility it finished flashing in about 5 seconds, so I just flashed original firmware back in, i guess it also didn’t work since flashing takes more than these 5 secs.

is your drive still working? :confused:

sorry :o

here is a better link
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-16a7s-16w1p-16-18-20a1p-h-s-l-fastburn-enhanced-overspeed-enhanced-oht-firmware-new-207033/?referrerid=65105

Yes it is, I flashed back original firmware before restarting. But I guess I could bring it back to life with mtkflash if it died, but since I decided to replace it it doesn’t mater anyway :).

I tried few days ago with these firmwares but they didn’t help. I looked around some more yesterday and I think I’m going to buy NEC (they’re that way here, instead of optiarc) 7203s, scans that I’ve seen of MKM 003 disc burned by this drive are one of the best.

[QUOTE=Solo761;2219879]Yes it is, I flashed back original firmware before restarting. But I guess I could bring it back to life with mtkflash if it died, but since I decided to replace it it doesn’t mater anyway :).

I tried few days ago with these firmwares but they didn’t help. I looked around some more yesterday and I think I’m going to buy NEC (they’re that way here, instead of optiarc) 7203s, scans that I’ve seen of MKM 003 disc burned by this drive are one of the best.[/QUOTE]

Good choice! You won’t regret your decision to buy it, unless you start missing your LiteOn’s Disc Quality scanning capability. :stuck_out_tongue: If that happens, just buy a newer LiteOn (just skip the 20x/A7 series) and slap it in an enclosure if you don’t have the space! :wink:

Tried few burns with 7203s and only thing that comes to my mind is that I had the “luck” to get a defective batch of MKM 003. This is first burn, scanned with Liteon DH-20A1S. It didn’t even finished the scan. It just hang at the point where scan ends.

After that I opened second spindle (they were both bought at the same day, in the same store). This time it was somewhat better, “only” two spikes.

Although this isn’t actually good, it’s way better then the disc from first spindle. Today I burned another one from second spindle and this scan was very good (compared to others)

[QUOTE=Solo761;2221410]Tried few burns with 7203s and only thing that comes to my mind is that I had the “luck” to get a defective batch of MKM 003.[/QUOTE]Sadly, this is more and more common. :frowning: - Most of my recent MKM003 is on par with the CMC and Ritek stuff, with a high failure rate. :a

Lowering the burning speed helps lowering the failure rate, but doesn’t prevent all failures.

I’m still at zero failed or non working MKM 001/003 Verbatim DVD+R DLs.
I burned about 30 - 40 for myself and another maybe 30 for friends (a mix of 10pc cakes and jewel cased ones, both MIS and MII, no MIT yet).
I know thats not much, but considering that every Ritek or CMC 10pc cakebox gives me one bad disc on average…

Scan 2 and 3 don’t look bad, I would not worry about those spikes unless there are playback problems.

[QUOTE=Womi;2221444]I’m still at zero failed or non working MKM 001/003 Verbatim DVD+R DLs.[/quote]Yeah, I remember when I could still say the same… good times. :sigh:

considering that every Ritek or CMC 10pc cakebox gives me one bad disc on average…
Which is best than my last 8X10-packs of MKM003, with almost A QUARTER of the discs failed (21 coasters). :Z

I can hear the guys who considered me as a mindless Verbatim zealot, jubilating and making fun of me… :bigsmile:

There aren’t any playback problems with these. I have verify turned on in programs I use for burning (ImgBurn, Nero), that’s how I noticed problems with MKM 003 in the first place. First disc had some strange speed fluctuations in verify, and second one even failed verify. I burned them at 4x, 7203s didn’t offer 2.4x. I had no problem with MKM 001, I burned about 20-30 with liteon, but from about 8 003’s 4 were unreadable from second layer, 2 were readable, but scanning froze at layer break, and other 2 had about 50 quality so they were sort of OK.

Just tried burning Imation +R DL, Ritek S04 at 6x, if MKM 003’s had scans like this I wouldn’t complain one bit, although it made some strange vibrating noises during burning :slight_smile:

@Wizzu

I’m sort of glad that I’m not the only one who has problems with these discs :bigsmile: