Best budget graphics card w/ HDMI output

Hi all,

I’m looking for a “cheap” graphics card to put into my self-built.

I would like to get some suggestions for a card that has HDMI output. I use this computer mostly for internet but more heavily to watch movies. I’d like to eventually add a Blu-ray player. I just bought a new monitor and it has VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs so I’d like to be able to use the better of the three. My ON-board graphics are so-so at best, but I don’t have $100 + to spend on a VC. Any ideas? All will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Moving you to the hardware forum where you should get better informed replies.

In the meantime, have you looked through the choices at Newegg.com?

Hi,[QUOTE=jsoulesone;2474678]
I’m looking for a “cheap” graphics card to put into my self-built.

I would like to get some suggestions for a card that has HDMI output. I use this computer mostly for internet but more heavily to watch movies.[/QUOTE]so gaming is not on the task list?

In that case, I’d have a look at VGA cards with
Nvidia Geforce 210 or
Radeon 4350 chipset
Such cards are available from 35 US$.

Which one is a matter of taste.

Michael

So just to let you know DVI and HDMI are the same signal and there won’t be any difference between them. Usually people use the HDMI connection for their PS3 or Xbox.

This is a good card that comes with a game and free shipping: SAPPHIRE 100296HDMI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 $75

If you don’t ever intend to play any games then go with this card: GIGABYTE GV-R455D3-512I Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 $50 with a $10 rebate but no free shipping. This card will be dead silent as there is no fan.

Kerry, Michael and Eric,
Thank you for your replies. One thing I forgot to mention, and for that I apologize, is that my ASUS motherboard has PCIe x16 socket that I believe would open up my VC possibilities and would be a better quality choice?

Anyway, I do look at Newegg as well as CompUSA, Best Buy, etc. and even with the user reviews, I’m kind of apprehensive.(I have much more faith in the opinions of the people in this forum than elsewhere.) I may look further into the Gigabyte GV-R455D3 that Eric suggested because I don’t ever play games on my self-built. I have PS2 and will be getting Wii for the gamers in my house (the wife and grandson).

Again, thank you,

Jim

Hi,QUOTE=jsoulesone;2475048One thing I forgot to mention, and for that I apologize, is that my ASUS motherboard has PCIe x16 socket that I believe would open up my VC possibilities and would be a better quality choice?[/quote]All cards mentioned above are for the PCIe socket. Only old farts like me are still running AGP stuff :bigsmile:
My recommendations were on the low end (no gaming apart from Solitaire or Minesweeper) and should be good enough for your purpose.

The cards mentioned by Eric are somewhat more powerful. I am not able to tell if they perform better [I]for your personal application scenario[/I].

Michael