Best BluRay playing/ripping drive? (no BD-R)

vbimport

Hello,

just registered since this forum seems to be the leading optical knowledge base, hi everyone :wink:

I am currently building/modding an old CD-Player to be used as an HTPC.
So I am looking for a robust drive that is suited for playing and ripping BluRays.

I won’t ever write a BluRay since I use M-Discs for Backup and a NAS/SAN for storage.
If the best suited drive is a BD-R writer nevertheless (better mechanics or whatever), so be it…

I also read about some RipLock technologies to be avoided but it is very hard to get information on a per drive basis. I just want it to get the job done, and I am willing to install some official firmware here and then. I am using AnyDVD HD and will perhaps use MakeMKV. I will rip lent BluRays so some robust error-correction is a plus.

What would you recommend out of the following:
LG BH10LS38
LiteOn iHES112
LG CH10LS28
Pioneer BDR-207DBK (very deep with 180mm…)
ASUS BC-12B1ST

Any recommendation or general advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Hi hotzen, welcome to the forum :flower:

Of the choices you list, I would expect the Pioneer to be the best match for your uses in an HTPC. The LGs and Lite-on/ASUS would be slower as rippers. The LGs are rip-locked and the LO/ASUS read BD DL at 6x vs the Pio’s 8x. A substantial percentage of commercial Blu-ray movies are on DLs.

The Pioneer also has a quickstart feature to make it more friendly for Blu-ray playback.

Thank you very much.
My problem is that the Pioneer is very deep with its 180mm vs. the others with 170mm (modding old HiFi CD-player).

Are there better suited drives out of my list? What is currently the best drive for playing and ripping?

thanks alot!

Well, if I don’t have to stick to that list, the 170mm Lite-on iHBS112 would be a good choice. Fastest ripper that I own, handles discs that are in less than perfect shape quite well.

In particular, it rips quicker and smoother with AnyDVDHD/makemkv by a good margin over my others.

Any updated comments?

e. g. the Pioneer 208 vs. 207, and newer Lite-On drives?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve picked up a 208 and it seems very slow when ripping, trying to find out if it’s riplocked.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2662983]Hi hotzen, welcome to the forum :flower:

Of the choices you list, I would expect the Pioneer to be the best match for your uses in an HTPC. The LGs and Lite-on/ASUS would be slower as rippers. The LGs are rip-locked and the LO/ASUS read BD DL at 6x vs the Pio’s 8x. A substantial percentage of commercial Blu-ray movies are on DLs.

The Pioneer also has a quickstart feature to make it more friendly for Blu-ray playback.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure? I did a 10.6X (max, 6.4X average) read of the Blazing Saddles BluRay. Drive is a WH14NS40.

How does one determine how fast a rip (copy) is going?
Is there a prog. to do that?

Well, I use MakeMKV and it is shown in the status window. you can also just look at the clock (6X rip of a 120 minute movie = 20 minutes).

[QUOTE=Hillster;2676680]I’ve picked up a 208 and it seems very slow when ripping, trying to find out if it’s riplocked.[/QUOTE]What program are you using for ripping? Try opening whichever decrypter program you are using, then use ImgBurn’s “create image file from disc” function to rip to your hard drive and view the IBG graph created with Burnplot or OptiDriveControl. Or use OptiDriveControl to run a transfer rate test. Save and post the png graph file up here and we’ll take a look.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2676695]Are you sure? I did a 10.6X (max, 6.4X average) read of the Blazing Saddles BluRay. Drive is a WH14NS40.[/QUOTE]

Very sure ;). The drives posted by the OP were Renesas chipped rip-locked LG’s and/or BD-ROM drives. Your WH14 has a Mediatek chip and you are correct, it is not rip-locked.

I also just bought the Pioneer 208 (IIRC, manufactured in Oct. 2012 and firmware 1.1) and ripped a few blu rays with makemkv.

It maxes out at 2x for me also.

Will try what mod says above later and see if it is faster than 2x.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2676735]What program are you using for ripping? Try opening whichever decrypter program you are using, then use ImgBurn’s “create image file from disc” function to rip to your hard drive and view the IBG graph created with Burnplot or OptiDriveControl. Or use OptiDriveControl to run a transfer rate test. Save and post the png graph file up here and we’ll take a look.

Very sure ;). The drives posted by the OP were Renesas chipped rip-locked LG’s and/or BD-ROM drives. Your WH14 has a Mediatek chip and you are correct, it is not rip-locked.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I’m using AnyDVD but have also tried MakeMKV as well. Both are stuck at 2x although I did manage to rip The Last Samurai much faster with AnyDVD. I’m not sure what’s different about that disc.

Will post my findings over the weekend. Thanks for the reply

Edit… Just started ripping The Last Samurai with MakeMKV and it’s running as fast as AnyDVD does with that disc.

OK a couple of screens are attached. As you can see The Last Samurai looks ok 9the top image) but The Man with the Golden Gun (bottom image) clearly isn’t.

Sorry Dean…Didn’t notice the other post was from 2012!

Hillster, I have noticed with my pio. that I got slow reads with both anydvd and makemkv.
So I use dvdfab and copy entire disc to hard drive in 30 min. or less.
Could be that I didn’t have the former progs. setup correctly or something.

But I don’t know how fast the read times are (exactly) since I dont have a program to check it with.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2676815]Hillster, I have noticed with my pio. that I got slow reads with both anydvd and makemkv.
So I use dvdfab and copy entire disc to hard drive in 30 min. or less.
Could be that I didn’t have the former progs. setup correctly or something.

But I don’t know how fast the read times are (exactly) since I dont have a program to check it with.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. DVDFab rips at the expected speeds, it’s a bit odd that the other programs don’t.

I have a Pioneer 2208, which I expect has similar performance characteristics to the 208 series. The pioneer 2208 seems to slow down the rip speed on [I]some [/I]blurays. Using opti drive control to log the rip speed of a “problematic disk”, with anydvd enabled as well as disabled, I found that the 2208 slows down rip speed even with anydvd disabled. The problem is not with anydvd. It is with the pioneer.

To give some background, I’ve been using Liteon iHBS112 blu ray drives for ripping blurays. I happen to have 4 of these drives, so I can rip in parallel. While I’ve generally been happy with the drives, they occasionally “lock up” and fail to open the tray. I got tired of this, and decided to replace them with 4 pioneer 2208’s. Very soon, I noticed some odd ripping behavior from the pioneers. So I decided to run some tests.

I tested ripping speed using one particular “problematic” bluray. The bluray disk was “The Silence of the Lambs: Special Edition”, a 40GB DL disk. Using optidrive control, with anydvd enabled, I got a straight 2x rip through the entire rip. A textbook case of riplock. I then disabled anydvd. The speed improved, but not to what it should have been. The rip started at 2x, peaked at 5x, and averaged 3.4x.

I ran my tests on the problematic bluray with 4 different 2208 drives and found the same result, so I don’t think its a specific issue with any particular 2208 sample.

I ran the same tests on my iHBS112 drives and found they had no problem ripping at my expected speeds.

I decided to buy 4 LG WH14NS40 drives and ran the same test on them. I found LG’s had no problem ripping the problematic disk at the expected speed.

I also found that the pioneer failed to rip another bluray, which seemed to have a problematic sector at around 17GB. I tried ripping the same bluray using Liteon and LG drives They both succeeded. The Liteon passed, with some slowdown at the 17GB point. The LG with v1.0 firmware passed, with significant slowdown at that point. The LG with v 1.01 firmware passed with essentially no slowdown.

My conclusion was that the 2208 is not a good choice for ripping blurays. I’ve returned the pioneers and am sticking with the LG’s.

Here are the results:

Pioneer 2208 with anydvd enabled:

Pioneer 2208 with anydvd disabled:

LG WH14NS40 with anydvd enabled:

LG WH14NS40 with anydvd disabled:

nice!