Best blu ray optical drive for data recovery?

vbimport

I posted in the pioneer/Asus forum about a problem I’ve been having with my Asus bw-16d1ht. It seems I chose both my drive and media poorly when I made my data disks and now some parts of them seem to be unreadable. I’ll try to use a data recovery program to recover the data but I wouldn’t mind investing in a new optical drive if it can help me recover more data.

I need a really good reader, an optical drive that would perform better then others when it comes to reading the disk. I googled for this with “best optical drive for data recovery” but surprisingly I didn’t find anything. I’m getting the feeling that such a thing might not exist, that maybe all drives have equal reading capabilities. Am I wrong? I don’t mind paying a bit more for a high end drive if that’s what it takes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Optical drives do differ slightly in reading abilities. The problem is, we tend to distinguish drives for their ability in writing, so the favorite drives around here are the good writers, like any of the Pioneer drives from the 205 forward through the 208 series.

My Pioneer 207MBK isn’t particularly outstanding as a reader however. I’ve had better results from my LG GGW-H20L on a few troublesome Blu-ray discs.

Wait for a few more replies. I’m sure there are more experienced users in our forums who’ve tried more models than me.

I don´t think there is the [B]one[/B] best blu ray optical drive for data recovery.

As always, it depends on the application You are using it mostly for.
You will be able to find the best drive for a certain BR mediacode, but not for any mediacode.

Lately, I was impressed by the mechanical properties and quality of the Pioneer BDR S08XLT drive. It is better than the BDR208xxx drives I have, even the writing quality of some BR medicodes is better with the BDR S08, though it has basically the same firmware as the BDR208.

I can´t tell if that is the result of the better mechanical quality or if it´s just serial spread, or if it is the best reader for Your purpose.

Maybe, some of the older BR drives were manufactured with more diligence than the new ones.
For example, the LG BH16NS40 is a rattletrap in comparison to the Pioneer drives.
It still performs excellent with some selected BR mediacodes, but for how long… :confused:

[QUOTE=clem84;2719133]I posted in the pioneer/Asus forum about a problem I’ve been having with my Asus bw-16d1ht. It seems I chose both my drive and media poorly when I made my data disks and now some parts of them seem to be unreadable. I’ll try to use a data recovery program to recover the data but I wouldn’t mind investing in a new optical drive if it can help me recover more data.

I need a really good reader, an optical drive that would perform better then others when it comes to reading the disk. I googled for this with “best optical drive for data recovery” but surprisingly I didn’t find anything. I’m getting the feeling that such a thing might not exist, that maybe all drives have equal reading capabilities. Am I wrong? I don’t mind paying a bit more for a high end drive if that’s what it takes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Man you can try Isopuzzle it works fine with my dvd-r crappy media.