Best blank media for storage of music libraries?

What is the best brand or types of blank media for storing music files? My music library consists of mostly MP3’s and has Vorbis Ogg and FLAC as well. What do some of you experts recommend for the most reliable storage solution?

“Most reliable” can only be achieved by storing multiple copies of your files on multiple media - preferably of different types. This is more important than trying to find “the best” media.

For optical media, I suggest using well-known quality media like Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. There are some polls about favourite media that you may want to take a look at:

Poll: CDFreaks Most Popular DVD Brands

Poll: CDFreaks Most Popular DVD Mediacodes

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

For Most reliable media storage i would recommend:
1 or more copies on TY CD-R and DVD
1 or more copies on Verbatim CD-R and DVD
1 or more copies on a external HDD (which is only connected to PC when you back up things)
and then store at a safe place…

Well that is what i am doing right now.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2296672]“Most reliable” can only be achieved by storing multiple copies of your files on multiple media - preferably of different types. This is more important than trying to find “the best” media.

For optical media, I suggest using well-known quality media like Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. There are some polls about favourite media that you may want to take a look at:

Poll: CDFreaks Most Popular DVD Brands

Poll: CDFreaks Most Popular DVD Mediacodes

Welcome to CDFreaks! :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=koba;2296808]For Most reliable media storage i would recommend:
1 or more copies on TY CD-R and DVD
1 or more copies on Verbatim CD-R and DVD
1 or more copies on a external HDD (which is only connected to PC when you back up things)
and then store at a safe place…

Well that is what i am doing right now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I live in Canada and a lot of stores carry the Verbatim and Sony brand. Are there any reported cases of fakes or mass bad batches lately? Also Sony’s blank media is made by Taiyo Yuden right?

[QUOTE=PlasmaShock;2297178]Are there any reported cases of fakes or mass bad batches lately?[/QUOTE] Fakes as in counterfeit media under well-known brands, no. Fakes as in cheap media “borrowing” media codes from other companies, yes.

There are some reports of bad batches of even well-known brands, and it seems that this happens even with the best brands these days due to cost-cutting and lack of proper quality control.

Also Sony’s blank media is made by Taiyo Yuden right?
Not anymore. Sony sell DVD+/-R media with their own media codes these days.

You can get Taiyo Yuden media from online shops such as e.g. Blankmedia.ca and from whatever U.S. shops that ship to Canada.

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I tend to keep two archive sets of my music collection (and any data stuff, photos etc).

One set: Verbatim 16x DVD+R (preferably made in India or Taiwan)
Second set: any Taiyo Yuden-made DVD media (here in the UK, look for “Made in Japan” on packaging. Hopefully it should be similar in Canada)

I also keep a full backup of all said files on an external HDD. :wink: