Best Blank DVD / CD's to Buy?

vbimport

Hi everyone

I do alot of downloading of films and music and I wondered if anyone can recommend which blank discs are the best one’s to use as there are so many different one’s around that I get confused what with all the different speeds etc.?

Plus where is the best place to buy them from?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice that you can give me.

IMO Taiyo Yuden is #1 Verbatim #2 then Sony or hp
8-16x for DVDs
Supermedia store, Markline, Rima or do a google search

My choices are:

DVD - 1) Verbatim, 2) Taiyo Yuden* and 3) Sony
CD-R - 1) Taiyo Yuden* and 2) Sony

• Taiyo Yuden is a Japanese media manufacturer. When buying in regular stores, they can be found by looking at the packaging for “Made in Japan”. They are also available online at www.svp.co.uk (since you’re here in the UK).

Regarding speeds, my general rules of thumb are: for CD-R media, I burn at 32x for data, and 16x for audio.

For DVD, assuming the discs are 16x rated, I generally burn at 8x or 12x. :slight_smile:

Thanks to both CCRomeo and Arachne for that. I will certainly be looking to see if I can get some of those discs.

And thanks Arachne for the advice about the burn speeds that’s really useful as I just burn at whatever the settings are on the program I’m using.

:slight_smile:

Edit my post:

My burn speed for DVDs is normaly 8x*
MY burn speed for CDs is normaly 24x

I know little about places in England to buy media

• burning super slow does not mean better results

Thanks CCRomeo - can you tell me where I have to go to change my speed please - is it only the discs or is there an option in either nero or convertxtodvd that I have to change?

Nero has a speed option on the main burning page.
If I remember correctly convertxtodvd had a speed select just before burning starts or under[U] options > burning. [/U]

Remember speed options depend on the media you insert ie DVD+RWs may show only speeds 4x or lower.

[QUOTE=beachbabe;2158692]Thanks to both CCRomeo and Arachne for that. I will certainly be looking to see if I can get some of those discs.

And thanks Arachne for the advice about the burn speeds that’s really useful as I just burn at whatever the settings are on the program I’m using.

:)[/QUOTE]

If you have a Staples near you, they’re selling Verbatim DVD media at half price at the moment :smiley:

Here my take.

1. Goes to verbatim in either DVD+R or DVD+R DL
  2. I go with the old but sometimes working Memorex DVD+R or DVD+R DL.
    yes, I know people say against this product but I haven’t had to many failures so far in my burning as well as playback.
  3. Sony
    But as with anything depends alot on how you burn and burn speed and your burner and firmware.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2158835]If you have a Staples near you, they’re selling Verbatim DVD media at half price at the moment :D[/QUOTE]

You’re an angel thanks for the tip - many thanks!

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2158956]Here my take.

1. Goes to verbatim in either DVD+R or DVD+R DL
  2. I go with the old but sometimes working Memorex DVD+R or DVD+R DL.
    yes, I know people say against this product but I haven’t had to many failures so far in my burning as well as playback.
  3. Sony
    But as with anything depends alot on how you burn and burn speed and your burner and firmware.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Coolcolors I’ll certainly look into those - at least I know there are other good one’s to get, it gives me more options.

Thanks again everyone :slight_smile: