Best BD writer for scanning that's still available?

vbimport

Hi,

I’m currently looking into buying a BD writer and being able to do media quality scans is a must for me. My problem is that my buying options seem to be very limited. I’d go for a Pioneer BDR-209EBK, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT or LG BH16NS40 anytime (all around 65€ around here) but all of these can’t do scans.

The only available drives I’ve found that I can readily buy are the
Teac BD-W512GSA (-100) and the Samsung SE-506CB/RSBD, both also around 65€. (Yes, I’m ready to shell out another 20€ for OptiDriveControl…)

I’d go for the Samsung SE-506CB/RSBD despite the limitations that come with an external drive (USB 2.0 nontheless!) because portability and being able to use it with more than one computer would be worth it to me. The problem is that the drive seems to have a major problem with its BD write strategy at 2x burn speeds - it might have more flaws. Most of all there are no burn quality results for any major media at myce (or anywhere else…). The Teac (although a rather old drive) seems to be a much more solid drive when it comes to BD burns (although some results on some media are also discouraging when looking at the respective thread at myce…)

Anyone with opinions on the two writers? There currently aren’t any other options here (Germany), it seems, and I am fully aware that both are inferior to new Pioneers and LGs but quality scanning is a must for me. (Two drives are not an option, I won’t be burning DVDs on the drive and I plan on mostly using Verbatim HTL media.)

Thanks for any input…

Best scanner you can have is an Stand Alone dvd/bd player :slight_smile:

Granted, takes quite some more time to scan but its an good indicator ^^.

2nd choice is an se-506bb , good scanner but no jitter !!
Caution though, i already had to rma mine !! So word to the wise, build quality of optical usb externals not sturdy/robust if u ask me !!

U better of with an internal odc for many reasons…

Not the least of which the burn speed and thus the burn quality !

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2745392]Best scanner you can have is an Stand Alone dvd/bd player :slight_smile:

Granted, takes quite some more time to scan but its an good indicator ^^.
[/QUOTE]

You mean playing the BD on a “standard” home cinema BD player?
Yeah, I have that, too, an LG. But all it can do is tell you if the burn is readable or “beyond readable”. Believe me that’s no help. I’ve had many brand DVDs (mainly Verbatim) that were good for extremly high quality burns 95 out of 100 DVDs. The other 5 were readable but the burn quality was so bad (manufacturing problems, bad Made-in-India-Moser-Bear-“Verbatims”, defects (scratches) from bad transport,…) that readibility won’t be for long. I’ve already lost a bunch of DVDs that were only a couple of years old. Others are still perfect after ten years of mediocre storage… That’s why a burner capable of quality scans is a must for me.

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2745392]
2nd choice is an se-506bb , good scanner but no jitter !!
[/QUOTE]

That can be had here, too, but at a much higher price than the CB, around 100 EUR. I didn’t see the point in that.

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2745392]
Caution though, i already had to rma mine !! So word to the wise, build quality of optical usb externals not sturdy/robust if u ask me !!
[/QUOTE]

I image - it’s a Samsung after all. Been avoiding Samsung lately because I had to send in [I]every [/I]Samsung device I ever bought. Including my office stuff that’s about 15…

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2745392]
U better of with an internal odc for many reasons…
Not the least of which the burn speed and thus the burn quality![/QUOTE]

Sigh. I’ve been thinking that the last hours, too. I won’t need the burner that often, I just might move backups and the like from other PCs/laptop to my main computer and burn them on the internal burner. So, I’ll probably go for the TEAC…

The Teac BD-W512GSA appears to be a rebadged Lite-On iHBS, so that is without doubt the one to go for if scanning is a priority.

I have a couple of rebadged iHBS drives and their performance is more than satisfactory. The Teac should come with slightly newer firmware than Lite-On’s final release, so crossflashing should be unnecessary. It will be a 2nd generation drive, so you will probably need to use the Opti Drive Control scanning speed trick.

Doesn’t seem like the Teac BD-W512GSA is available in the US…

Nor in the UK. I can only recall seeing it for sale from Germany.

I think Teac may have stopped selling drives in the UK back in 2004. I recall a magazine DVD writer review in 2003 or 2004 where they had to issue a correction the following month, Teac had decided not to sell the drive in the UK after all.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2745437]Nor in the UK. I can only recall seeing it for sale from Germany.
[/QUOTE]

I’m certainly surprised that TEAC still sells this in Germany, too. But a lot of stores stock them and I’ve seen one (Alternate) that listed them as “item reordered - will arrive soon” yesterday and the day before and today lists them as “item in stock”. So they obviously can still be reordered from TEAC or a wholesale.

They are readily available in the UK, though, from German dealers for around 65 GBP including S&H, if anyone is interested… :iagree:

[QUOTE=Toshi17;2745394]You mean playing the BD on a “standard” home cinema BD player?
Yeah, I have that, too, an LG. But all it can do is tell you if the burn is readable or “beyond readable”. Believe me that’s no help. I’ve had many brand DVDs (mainly Verbatim) that were good for extremly high quality burns 95 out of 100 DVDs. The other 5 were readable but the burn quality was so bad (manufacturing problems, bad Made-in-India-Moser-Bear-“Verbatims”, defects (scratches) from bad transport,…) that readibility won’t be for long. I’ve already lost a bunch of DVDs that were only a couple of years old. Others are still perfect after ten years of mediocre storage… That’s why a burner capable of quality scans is a must for me.
[/QUOTE]

I mean almost exactly that ↑ … almost …

Scanning BD/DVD to determine the burn quality is like the same as Reading/ playback the dvd/bd in a hardware player. Whit the exception , and iam speaking from my own personal experience.

That an bad ODC scan result not ALWAY’s (often not) means that the disc will not be readable in an dvd/bd hardware players !!

But REST asure, if the Discs causing problems in dvd/bd hardware player
you know that is near perfect condition (i.e not having a bad laser / other mechanical parts failing due to age/usage) … That is when u better make an FRESH backup of that disc … or do another TRT/QUALITY scan on it …

And u"ll be surprised of the odc scan/trt results !!!

I know u probebly want to have insurance that the fresh burned disc is good for storage and want to do an quality scan to determine that …

But the truth is even though the quality scan looks great, the disc may still fail to read or atleast skipps/stutter while playback in an hardware player for some odd reason you know !!

One time i spent , an whole week for an sollution to get an perfect burned DVD+R game disk (according to the quality scans) to play in an BRAND NEW ps2 machine … YES … an BRAND NEW ps2 console !!

but the audio from that specific DARN game alway’s did skip/stutter which wos very annoying !!

Used different brands of DVD+R , othere burn speeds, rebuild the ps2 game and what not … but no use !! heh, up untill today it remains a mistery as to why my perfect burned discs would not play nice on an bRAND new ps2 console though !!

Though , one might think about an bad ps2 lens … but if that woud be the case, it shouldnt playback my DVD+R movies perfectly then either …
And again , this happened with an brand new 2 weeks pristine ps2 console !!

and No, the original game disc played flawless … so go figure !!

It wos only with 1 specific game i had this WEIRD phenomen :eek: !

I"ll never ever forget about that bad experience again :doh: