Best BD-R Printable media?

vbimport

can anyone advise me on the following…

I am trying to successfully burn some BD-R SL discs and as usual bought Verbatim.

However everyone failed and it turns out its because they are CMC made, which Imgburn support tell me I should avoid like the plague!

I have successfully burned some BD-R DL also from Verbatim but the disc ID on those show VERBAT-IMf-000.

However reading these forums I am now a little concerned about those too.

So my question is can anyone recommend BD-R both SL and DL Printable available in the UK that would be of good quality?

I have always relied on Verbatim but I guess not now - unless there is a way of identifying the disc manufacturer prior to purchase.

I don’t know who told you that CMC Verbatims would be bad, they are wrong, the CMCMAGBA5 Verbatims have proven to be pretty good actually.
Of course it all depends on the writer and its firmware, so which writer do you use, and do you have the latest firmware installed?
Besides that, if it comes to BD-Rs the best you can get are Panasonic, they’re quite expensive though, and not that easy to get in certain countries.

edit: there’s one thing the CMCs don’t like, overspeeding. I don’t recommend to burn them faster than their rated 6x speed.

I have a brand new Samsung SE-506CB.

I burned some VERBAT-IMf-000 DL BDs on it with Imgburn absolutely fine but when I tried SLs (which came up as CMCMAG-BA5-000) every single one failed to verify.

The support forum for Imgburn stated - and I’m quoting so not my opinion…“Use better blanks. CMCmag is pure crap of the cheapest kind”.

In their defence as I can burn DLs fine but not SLs it does appear to be the media.

I have managed to get some non-CMC Verbatims so Ill give those a try.

Annoyingly all this came about because my Pioneer dvrtd11rs kept failing to burn DVD+R DLs past the layer change, so I thought I’d invest in a BD burner thinking that would be without issues! Apparently the Pioneer has a firmware update to solve this but I cant find it on their website!

Well, seems they don’t know too much what they’re talking about. The CMC Verbatims have a certain quality range, but the results of them I’ve seen here, and in my own experience have been very well within the realm of good to actually very good. The writer can be critical with those though. Btw do you have the latest firmware in your drive?
But take a look yourself at these results (you’ll find more in the thread):
1, 2, 3, 4, 5

So I’d suggest you try those CMC Verbatims with another writer. If they still fail, I’d suggest to contact Verbatim support, whenever I had bad discs (which can happen) they were very helpful. It might take a couple of days for them to reply though, so if you’d contact them be patient. :wink:

What speed are you trying to write at?

The SE-506CB has an issue where selecting certain speeds results in coasters. It’s not limited to CMC MAG BA5; it affects other popular media that, in another drive, would burn spectacularly.

Just checked the results thread of that device, seems to be recommended to use 6x speed for CMCMAGBA5 only, despite this recommendation post where it says 4x & 6x ok, but the scans of 4x didn’t look that good either. This and this result of both 6x writes look pretty good for CMC, and show the actual good quality of the discs, the problem is obviously the drive, so again: try 6x speed only, maybe it helps.

I just tweaked the list of recommendations in that thread, as I believe I see the same glitch you see, Oinker. The end of “4x” burns on BA5 still shows a rise in errors which shouldn’t be there & clearly happens as a result of a bad ‘decision’ on the part of the drive.

@PhilJW: to summarize, when selecting a write speed below the max supported speed for a given piece of media, there is a chance the drive will still try to write at the maximum speed and will use a very bad write strategy that will result in at least one portion of the disc being written with horrible quality. The recommendations only cover some bits of media, but should help in the event you have been trying to write at slower speeds.

Of course, this means that your computer must be able to handle 6x writing for the highest quality, but even if it doesn’t there’s a chance that buffer underruns won’t result in anywhere near the same cruddy quality as trying to write at the broken slower speed.

Yes, exactly, @ 4x there seems to be not only a rise in errors, but also a weird jump in the jitter, neither of them should be there. The 6x burns don’t have those.
So conclusion here would actually be, to get a better writer like e.g. Pioneer. :wink:

[QUOTE=PhilJW;2787203]Can anyone advise me on the following…

…my question is can anyone recommend BD-R both SL and DL Printable available in the UK that would be of good quality?[/QUOTE]

As per the other replies, I would also advise you to get a better burner.
I use Pioneer BDR-208EBK (somewhat dated now, firmware 1.10 or 1.50) and rarely get a bad burn. But of course a lot depends on media…

As for printable BD-R, I only use SL, but can vouch for Panasonic LM-BRS2MWE10 BD-R 25GB ink-jet printable, 10-pk. Unfortunately they are not water-resistant and give a rather dull matt-finish.

My problem is not so much getting good burns but getting good OptiDrive Control Quality Scans. In my experience, it’s easy to get good burns but the resulting disc may give excessive LDC/BIS values when scanned, indicating inferior quality. This is especially true of discs which look brilliant when printed (nice glossy, striking finish and water-resistant) like FalconPRO Media 0759 or PlexDisc Liquid Defense 633-C13.

LM-BRS2MWE10 usually give low average LDC (< 5) and BIS (<0.1) though they don’t look so good when printed.

I have a feeling PrimeOn Photo-On-Disc Ultragloss [B]http://tinyurl.com/zk2ttnu [/B]might offer the best of all worlds but they are fairly new and I have yet to try them.

Thanks for all the advice.

I will try 6x speed on the CMC discs to see if that corrects the issue.

I have some new discs arriving which Verbatim tell me are VERBATIMe so Ill give those a go too. If anyone can recommend a speed for those as well it would be much appreciated.

According to the recommendation post (also mentioned above) VERBATIMe media should be ok with 2x, 4x & 6x.
The scans look ok for all those speeds, so it’s up to you. Ensure you have the latest firmware installed though.

Ah…just saw the bottom of the recommendations list for the correct speed for the VERBATIMe

I tried the CMC at 6x and that seems to work - am I correct in assuming you should always burn at the maximum allowed by burner and disc?

[QUOTE=PhilJW;2787370]

I tried the CMC at 6x and that seems to work - am I correct in assuming you should always burn at the maximum allowed by burner and disc?[/QUOTE]

No.

What makes you want to make this assumption?

I guess I misunderstood your earlier post:

“to summarize, when selecting a write speed below the max supported speed for a given piece of media, there is a chance the drive will still try to write at the maximum speed and will use a very bad write strategy that will result in at least one portion of the disc being written with horrible quality. The recommendations only cover some bits of media, but should help in the event you have been trying to write at slower speeds.”

I though this meant that if you didnt use the maximum supported speed then the writer will try and force the max speed and result in a bad burn.

You understand perfectly.

But I don’t want you to take that as a blanket statement for all media with this drive; only for the media known to have this bug with this drive do I recommend you always select the maximum speed available.

Otherwise, you can try whichever speed you like & find what works for you. :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t know whether those recommended speeds are the maximum available with this particular writer.
You need to understand that the so-called rated speed of the media (e.g. 4x or 6x) and the maximum speed available by different drives can be competely different. Some drives burn e.g. CMCMAGBA5 media up to 12x and VERBATIMe media up to 16x. I don’t recommend to burn either media that fast. But there shouldn’t be any problems with the rated speed of either media, i.e. 6x in case of the CMC or VERBATIM media mentioned above.

[QUOTE=Oinker;2787386]Well, I don’t know whether those recommended speeds are the maximum available with this particular writer.
You need to understand that the so-called rated speed of the media (e.g. 4x or 6x) and the maximum speed available by different drives can be competely different. Some drives burn e.g. CMCMAGBA5 media up to 12x and VERBATIMe media up to 16x. I don’t recommend to burn either media that fast. But there shouldn’t be any problems with the rated speed of either media, i.e. 6x in case of the CMC or VERBATIM media mentioned above.[/QUOTE]

This, too.

Though yes, for the media affected by the bug with this drive, it is the maximum speed available that isn’t affected. Well, except for RITEK BR3, and sometimes SONY NN3, where all speeds are affected.