Best BD-R or BD-R DL media for quality and money?

[QUOTE=rekd0514;2671943]so how were they?[/QUOTE]

So far, my 112 is not handling them very well, and my LG WH12LS39 seems OK with them. But I’m not going to rush to judgement, as I had just flashed my 1st gen 112 to 2nd gen PL06 firmware. These results were disastrous, but going back to CLOK they are improving. I’m keen to see others’ results with the Lite-ons to see if this is a firmware issue with the MID or just my drive being a bit dizzy from my cross-flashing adventures;).

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2672022]So far, my 112 is not handling them very well, and my LG WH12LS39 seems OK with them. But I’m not going to rush to judgement, as I had just flashed my 1st gen 112 to 2nd gen PL06 firmware. These results were disastrous, but going back to CLOK they are improving. I’m keen to see others’ results with the Lite-ons to see if this is a firmware issue with the MID or just my drive being a bit dizzy from my cross-flashing adventures;).[/QUOTE]

ATM I am glad that I only ordered 25 Digistors, I just placed an order for a bunch of Smartblu’s and half the order was backordered. Currently the SmartBlu’s are going to be my go to media but I will continue to explore other possibilities as they arise.
budzos

OK, let me throw in my 6x Digstor BD-R experience :slight_smile:

I initially bought one 25pk spindle of the Printable variety and one 25pk spindle of the non-printable ones from Amazon UK.

I found that the branded non-printable ones showed the same higher error behaviour toward the end of the disc as the scan posted by [I]budzos [/I]a few days ago. Not disastrously high, but still not very nice at all… looks like a dodgy batch …

The printable ones though are a much better batch and they burn very well at 6x, so I bought 3 more spindles and after some random sampling from all 3 spindles I’m happy to conclude that they are all very good. I burned more than 10 of them on my BDR-207M and I haven’t come across a single problem disc. they all scan with very similar results. I just ordered some more today in fact, and fingers crossed I’ll receive some belonging to the same good batch as the previous ones.

They burn lovely at 6x on the Pioneer BDR-207M and and also burn well at 6x on the BDR-206M. Based on a rather limited number of samples I can also say that they seem to burn OK on my iHBS212@PX-LB950SA (1st generation @ 2 generation) - but not as good as on the Pioneers, and not well at all on my BWU-500S (firmware 2.63).

I’ll post some scans in a bit so you can make your own mind up…

First the not so nice batch of branded, non-printable ones:

1st scan: BDR-207M 1.30 @ 6x
2nd scan: BDR-207M 1.30 @ 4x
3rd scan: PX-LB950SA 1.03 (2nd Generation) @ 6x
4th scan: BWU-500S 2.63 @6x

And now the good news :slight_smile:

A bunch of scans for the good batch of printable ones …

All burned at 6x on the BDR-207M (BDR-207EBK) using the latest 1.30 firmware, with the exception of the last one which is burned at 6x on the BDR-206M (again latest firmware).

All the other discs I burned from this particular printable batch (random ones taken from 4 different spindles) scan just like these … predictable like clockwork …

I can live with this sort of result :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cvs;2672251]And now the good news :slight_smile:

All burned at 6x on the BDR-207M (BDR-207EBK) using the latest 1.30 firmware, with the exception of the last one which is burned at 6x on the BDR-206M (again latest firmware).

All the other discs I burned from this particular printable batch (random ones taken from 4 different spindles) scan just like these … predictable like clockwork …

I can live with this sort of result :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those look nice. I’m seriously considering getting some.

[QUOTE=filedog;2672254]Yeah, those look nice. I’m seriously considering getting some.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that if you end up with a not so good batch, then you can end up with something like this: http://club.myce.com/f87/pioneer-bdr-207d-m-j-s07xl-325693/#post2671723 even for the printable ones …

It would probably be best to buy just one spindle first, give it a try and if its good then buy some more quickly from the same source …

Given your location, you should be able to still get some of the 4x Melody INFOMER30 BD-Rs quite easily … or SmartBlu’s … both they seem to be good quality discs … but here in the UK there’s very little choice and nowhere to find of any of the two … so the Digistors are a bit of a God send … otherwise we would be completely screwed … and would have to rely on expensive 6x Panasonics …

Damn you and your good Digistors, Just kidding! Jealous but happy that there
are good ones out there. I wish my printables looked like that.
budzos

[QUOTE=cvs;2672259]… or SmartBlu’s … both they seem to be good quality discs … but here in the UK there’s very little choice and nowhere to find of any of the two … so the Digistors are a bit of a God send … otherwise we would be completely screwed .[/QUOTE]

Am on a steep learning curve but aren’t the smartblu’s the same as these falcons, which you can buy at two uk suppliers?
For example at this one?? http://www.islandcd.co.uk/falcon-bd-r-4x-smart-white-25-116-p.asp

[QUOTE=muze7;2672453]Am on a steep learning curve but aren’t the smartblu’s the same as these falcons, which you can buy at two uk suppliers?
For example at this one?? http://www.islandcd.co.uk/falcon-bd-r-4x-smart-white-25-116-p.asp[/QUOTE]

At £38.10 a spindle, the Falcons cost an arm and a leg basically, and for that sort of price you can get the 6x Panasonics which are better…

Compared to that, the 6x Digistors are outstanding value (for the UK market at least) at less than half the price of the 4x Falcons and are every single bit as good … in fact better in my opinion given the higher speed rating - [U]if[/U] you manage to source a good batch that is.

Were you not the person who got great results with the Blue Falconmedia? They also have that one, with MPN: 3070606504000378, but it is 34incl tax. Anyway, I 'd love to go with the Digistor, but if the batch is bad, I will be 18 out of pocket and would still need to go with Falcon after that. Don’t really want to take the risk with the Digistor therefore, hmm, tough one.

You know you can get a bad batch of any media? Therefore I would stay with the known
good ones and scan them. If they scan poorly return them or use them for things that are
not critical data backups.
budzos

[QUOTE=muze7;2672484]Were you not the person who got great results with the Blue Falconmedia? They also have that one, with MPN: 3070606504000378, but it is 34incl tax. Anyway, I 'd love to go with the Digistor, but if the batch is bad, I will be 18 out of pocket and would still need to go with Falcon after that. Don’t really want to take the risk with the Digistor therefore, hmm, tough one.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did have a very good experience with the blue Falcons, but since my last ‘Corporate’ Falcon experience was not so good, I stopped buying Falcons, and bought instead a bunch of 6x Panasonics before their rise in price. The most brilliant BD-R media I ever encountered these 6x Panasonic BD-Rs, I have to say…

Given that the price difference is just £4 is worth going for the Pros I think if you want to go the Falcon route.

As for the Digistors, give a try to the Amazon UK’s [U]printable[/U] ones. Buy one spindle and see what you get … and then quickly buy some more if they are as good as expected :slight_smile: Being a bit on the paranoid side after my last experience with the brand, I would do the same with the Falcons …

I have some more of Digistors arriving either on Monday or Tuesday next week, and I shall test them and post an update here. Fingers crossed that they will be the same as the earlier ones I bought just before the new year…

I have some more of Digistors arriving either on Monday or Tuesday next week, and I shall test them and post an update here. Fingers crossed that they will be the same as the earlier ones I bought just before the new year.

Oh yes, if you could let us know if that batch from Amazon is ok, that would be very useful. Although not a guarantee of course, but I might risk it then.

Only problem is that the Pioneer BDR 207 I want to get cannot scan apparently? Do people buy an extra drive just for that purpose? That would be so expensive?!

Which Panasonics exactly? thanks

SCORE :clap:

Looks sweet :). If Stiftung Warentest is right about these RBDs being top-notch in the longevity department, you definitely have another good-looking option over there. Anxious to see how the next batch looks ;).

Seems that the 6x TDK MID is more prone to less-than-great firmware tuning than the 4x TDK MID?

[QUOTE=muze7;2672760]Do people buy an extra drive just for that purpose? That would be so expensive?!

Which Panasonics exactly? thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes, those of us who are into burning, we normally do … nowadays trusting media quality without checking is not much of an option …

Any [B]6x[/B] Panasonic BD-Rs basically … they tend to come either is spindles of 10 or in spindles of 25 discs… something like this:

http://www.totalblankmedia.com/panasonic-bdr-25gb-bluray-printable-10-spindle-p-2079.html
http://www.totalblankmedia.com/panasonic-bdr-25gb-bluray-printable-25-spindle-p-2094.html

The 4 spindles of 6x Digistor Printable BD-Rs discs I ordered from Amazon UK arrived yesterday. I tested so far 6 random discs from 3 of the spindles and I’m glad to report that they belong to the same good batch I got from them just before the new year … :clap:

I also find out that my BDR-205 does a very good job on them, and that my BH10LS30@WH12LS39 1.00-D1’s burn strategy doesn’t do a very good job on the first 1/3 of the disc corresponding to the CAV part (unlike the Pioneers which start the burn at 6x, the LG uses a P-CAV strategy starting at about 3.3x, spending about 33% of the burn to reach 6x and then continuing at 6x for the rest of the disc), but once it reaches 6x it burns them very well …

• First two scans have been burned with BDR-205 1.12 @6x
  • The rest of the discs (except the last scan) were burned using the BDR-207EBK 1.30 @6x
  • The last scan, was burned using a WH12LS39 1.00-1D @6x

I guess all the good disks come from the UK,
budzos

very informative

Well Digistor changed there MID so I know longer know if it is good or not… Waiting for a reply back before I go use any because I may demand a refund for this media now.

Originally: TDKBLDRBD
Now: CMCMAG-BA5