Best BD-R or BD-R DL media for quality and money?

vbimport

I am going to purchase the Pioneer BDR-2208 drive for my first Blu-Ray burner what is the best media for the money? I tried to do a search but did not find anything that really discussed media except to avoid LTH media.

Well since nobody appears to really know I think I will try these Digistor BD-R Disks.

DIGISTOR 25GB 6X BD-R Media, White Inkjet Printable Surface (25 pack) for $21.75 from Amazon as I have Prime shipping.

These Melody discs are really good:
http://www.amazon.com/Melody-Premium-Blu-ray-Recordable-Printable/dp/B004DTVJG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355237882&sr=8-1&keywords=melody+blu+ray
They were $30 at one point, but have gone up.

Verbatim 6x rated BD-R from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130156

BD-R DL are still fairly expensive on newegg, meritline, Amazon, etc., and seem to be cheapest on e-bay where they’re sent directly from Japan. I’ve used “jp-stop”, “jp-gift” and “u-japan” before with no problems. Just go to e-bay and type in “bd-r dl” and those 3 merchants will come up in droves. The best BD-R DL are Taiyo Yuden. In another thread I ranted about how the going rate on e-bay seems to be about $3.50 per BD-R DL, esentially unchanged from December 2011 and that I hope BD-R DL prices haven’t bottomed out already.

[QUOTE=filedog;2668477]These Melody discs are really good:
http://www.amazon.com/Melody-Premium-Blu-ray-Recordable-Printable/dp/B004DTVJG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355237882&sr=8-1&keywords=melody+blu+ray
They were $30 at one point, but have gone up.[/QUOTE]

Even at the $40.00/50 shipped that they sell for now, burn quality has been better than anything else I’ve seen selling at that price. Even my worst BD burner, my 212, manages to give a good-looking burn with them. Anyone that’s living dangerously using some of the other bargain BD-R near this price range(Optical Quantum,Merax,Titan,etc.) might want to consider these.

Melody 4x inkjet print BD-R burned at 4x with Lite-on iHBS212@PX-LB950SA

Ridata BD-R 25X 25GB 19$ Can at newegg

Oh no, please no Ri* stuff.

Well the DIGISTOR 25GB 6X BD-R Media, White Inkjet Printable Surface (25 pack) for $24.75 from Amazon as I have Prime shipping burned at 10x without a hitch. The MID is also TDKBLDRBD which all have scanned well on the burn scan threads.

[QUOTE=molitar;2669471]Well the DIGISTOR 25GB 6X BD-R Media, White Inkjet Printable Surface (25 pack) for $24.75 from Amazon as I have Prime shipping burned at 10x without a hitch. The MID is also TDKBLDRBD which all have scanned well on the burn scan threads.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update. The TDKBLD-RBD disc design ranked as one of the best for quality/longevity in a review at Stiftung Warentest.

Digistor’s choice to switch to this disc may give us another good choice. I’ll be keeping an eye on these :).

Your welcome… I just got my replacements since my first batch came in damaged by UPS. So now I can actually start to burn some data :wink:

[QUOTE=molitar;2669471]Well the DIGISTOR 25GB 6X BD-R Media, White Inkjet Printable Surface (25 pack) for $24.75 from Amazon as I have Prime shipping burned at 10x without a hitch. The MID is also TDKBLDRBD which all have scanned well on the burn scan threads.[/QUOTE]

Just received some. They’re MIUAE. Good find, molitar!

[QUOTE=jadburner;2669958]Just received some. They’re MIUAE. Good find, molitar![/QUOTE]

You beat me to it :doh:. Got word from sources in high places a couple days ago about who “might” be making those ;). Excellent news :clap:.

Great news than! :slight_smile:

So these are the same as the Smartblu"s then?
My order has been made! Also ordered a 50pk of Melody’s.
Thanks, budzos

How about BD-RE media quality?
I’ve had good luck with Sony BD-RE discs.
But the few super-cheap ones like CMG only work for a few burns then develop bad sectors.
How about Panasonic BD-RE discs, are they as good as Sony?

Thanks for the info on the DIGISTOR media. I like having an Amazon source for the Smartblu! I may be trying a pack of the 50GB soon.

I received my Digistor from Amazon and I have burned and scanned one disc. I was not impressed but I will reserve my judgement until I can burn a few more. Hopefully it was just a fluke. I’ll post some scans later in the week when I get a couple days off.
budzos

[QUOTE=budzos;2671283]I received my Digistor from Amazon and I have burned and scanned one disc. I was not impressed but I will reserve my judgement until I can burn a few more. Hopefully it was just a fluke. I’ll post some scans later in the week when I get a couple days off.
budzos[/QUOTE]

I’ll add my results when mine arrive finally on Friday :doh:.

FTI uses TDK’s original technology and materials to continue to manufacture both the 4x TDKBLD-RBB disc and the 6x TDKBLD-RBD disc designs that TDK chose to cease producing in Japan in favor of selling Ritek and MBI made BD-R in their spindles. Better profit margins for TDK, I’m sure.

I’m anxious to compare these FTI-made Digistors to my FTI-made SmartBlu 6x 25GB. I did get higher LDC/BIS numbers w/ the 6x vs the 4x SmartBlu. But I also factor in the Stiftung Warentest results that place the 6x TDK disc at the top of the pack for quality/longevity above even 6x Panasonic and 6x Verbatim 25GB.

Never had a problem with playback on the 6x SmartBlu.

If anybody is interested I posted some scans of the Digistor media in the Pioneer Forum.
budzos

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2671311]I’ll add my results when mine arrive finally on Friday :doh:.

FTI uses TDK’s original technology and materials to continue to manufacture both the 4x TDKBLD-RBB disc and the 6x TDKBLD-RBD disc designs that TDK chose to cease producing in Japan in favor of selling Ritek and MBI made BD-R in their spindles. Better profit margins for TDK, I’m sure.

I’m anxious to compare these FTI-made Digistors to my FTI-made SmartBlu 6x 25GB. I did get higher LDC/BIS numbers w/ the 6x vs the 4x SmartBlu. But I also factor in the Stiftung Warentest results that place the 6x TDK disc at the top of the pack for quality/longevity above even 6x Panasonic and 6x Verbatim 25GB.

Never had a problem with playback on the 6x SmartBlu.[/QUOTE]

so how were they?