Best audio ripper?

vbimport

Hi, my old and trusted Liteon DVD-reader that could read almost anything has died. Which current drive is the absolutely best for accurate and fast reading of all audio CD’s? (Protected and non-protected) Hopefully also SACD/DVD, but this is not the 1st priority. If it is also a writer, it is OK, but it is the very best reader I want. Thank you for any help!

Hello everyone
I’d like to join the question.
I signed in to this forum because I find this place very helpful and full of valuable informations.

I’d like to change my BenQ DW1640 (which was in my opinion spectacularly good in CD/DVD ripping) for something new with SATA connection.
I’d like to add, it’s all about ripping rather than burning CD/DVDs (no need for blu-ray discs).

Best regards.

Well, as long as the disc is verified okay by AccurateRip it is digitally perfect. However not every single CD in the world is in the database (if you can find in on Amazon.com it’s likely there). Obviously small indie CDs/promos etc are unlikely to be there.

In terms of speed, rip accuracy and the ability to detect gaps properly I had great success with the PlexWriter Premium (a pretty old CD-RW, no longer produced). See if you can find one on eBay (I hear the PlexWriter Premium 2 was also very good, but haven’t used it)…

If you want something new, with DVD support and a SATA connection you really can’t go far wrong with one of the Lite-On drives (never had a single issue ripping CDs or DVDs with my iHAS).

• Ben

bcn_246

Thanks for your apply. Considering that (as I read here on the forum) Optiarc and other vendors use Lite-On hardware, should I go for iHAS? Which one would you suggest: iHAS624, 524 or 324 (these three are available in my area)?
But acording to that, I feel a little uncertain because of many opinions that Lite-On drives aren’t so repetitious, if you know what I mean.

[QUOTE=Majkem;2614990]

Thanks for your apply. Considering that (as I read here on the forum) Optiarc and other vendors use Lite-On hardware,[/QUOTE]And sometimes it’s exactly the other way round. There is a series of Liteon drives based on Optiarc hardware :wink:

I personally do not like the audio CD performance of Liteon drives. I rather prefer LG with Renesas chipset or genuine Optiarc drives for CDDA.

Michael

Mciahel
Please would you provide me with some more information, regarding your opinion?
It’s all about the CD ripping in my case.
Which models would you head for, if you were in my situation?

Hi,

some users had serious problems with DAE on rather modern Liteon drives, IIRC. You might have a look into our Liteon burners section. Also, most modern Liteon burners cache audio data, which is, according to the author of EAC, not so good.

My best DAE drives are
LG GE20NU10
LG GSA 4163B
Optiarc AD 7200A
Unfortunately, all these are only museum pieces now.

For modern hardware, go for a Renesas LG (check out our LG burners forum for models - be aware that LG’s naming scheme is not really customer friendly). Or get an Optiarc.

Michael

Oh gosh, that’s a huge subject to preview (LG forum). Forgive me but I don’t really have that much time, I’m serious. Could you kindly point some models, which in you opinion are worth attention?
Or other way, if Optiarc drives are equal to LGs, I might head for on of them. Unfortunately AD-7200S is not available in my area.

I’d need to search also. :wink:

As for the Optiarcs, 7200S is as fossile as the 7200A (no wonder). I guess, its successors, the 526x/726x series aren’t worse.

Michael

I am glad my question turned into a small discussion. I am researching the subject, and put out an ad for a used Plextor Premium.

By the way, can DVD-readers/writers in general rip music from an SACD disc, or does it take some special device to do this?
And, is this drive one of the recommended “Renesas” LG drives? GH22LS50

I feel a little tired searching, to be honest. So I tend to purchase AD-7263S (I don’t need LabelFlash but AD-7260S is not available in my area).

[QUOTE=ehagen;2615196]By the way, can DVD-readers/writers in general rip music from an SACD disc, or does it take some special device to do this?[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD :disagree:

And, is this drive one of the recommended “Renesas” LG drives? GH22LS50
Seems to be Renesas. GH22NS50 is btw the same drive minus Lightscribe.

Michael

Thank you very much, Michael (and BCN_246), you have been very helpful. I put a post on the LG-Writer forum, in case somebody will tell me that there exist an even better model than this GH22NS/NS50 for my needs.

please help me fast

i can buy Optiarc AD 7200S is it best ROM for ripping HQ music from original cd’s? or some new LG model is better?

can Optiarc AD 7200S go with WIN7 ?

[QUOTE=S0nic;2659415]please help me fast

i can buy Optiarc AD 7200S is it best ROM for ripping HQ music from original cd’s? or some new LG model is better?

can Optiarc AD 7200S go with WIN7 ?[/QUOTE]

My AD 7200S was very good at CD ripping. You will find a list of the best here. The 7200 shares the same chipset and similar hardware to the highly rated Pioneer 215, and both drives have been favorites for DVD/CD burning. You may choose to look for one of the drives on that list.

[I]
MATSHITA - DVD-R UJ-85J

on that link you send , the best is MATSHITA - DVD-R UJ-85J i first time see ROM like this SLIM , can this go on normal PC? </pre>[/I]

[QUOTE=S0nic;2659424][I]
MATSHITA - DVD-R UJ-85J

on that link you send , the best is MATSHITA - DVD-R UJ-85J i first time see ROM like this SLIM , can this go on normal PC? </pre>[/I][/QUOTE]

I do not see any slim to 1/2 height PATA drive bay adapters around.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2659448]I do not see any slim to 1/2 height PATA drive bay adapters around.[/QUOTE]

i think it’s ROM only for mac I have PC :frowning:

[QUOTE=S0nic;2659415]please help me fast

can Optiarc AD 7200S go with WIN7 ?[/QUOTE]

The optiarc is a very good drive when it extracts or burn audio, and in my personal opinion a better drive than any LG.

If you cant find it, then get an LG, it should also do a nice job.