Best audio program

vbimport

Looking for a good program to rip cds into mp3s and wma files. Want to make a juke box on my computer which program(s) should I use.... TIA!!!

Read the threads in our Audio forum (to which I moved this thread) and use our search pelase, this question has been asked several times, and very recent there was the exact same question posted here)

(my preference: EAC with LAME encoder,
MP3 with VBR at High Quality)

I like to disagree with Da_Taxman i prefer EAC with Lame to,But then on 192kbits and not Vbr but thats how i like my mp3`s :wink:

Originally posted by RDJ
I like to disagree with Da_Taxman i prefer EAC with Lame to,But then on 192kbits and not Vbr but thats how i like my mp3`s :wink:

Why not VBR?

Dont like it and all scene releases are pure 192 so i stick to it :slight_smile:

Originally posted by RDJ
Dont like it and all scene releases are pure 192 so i stick to it :slight_smile:

Now that is a really strong argument… :wink:

VBR ensures higher quality than CBR, without the files becoming extremely large.

And the only reason the scene releases are CBR is because of their scripts not knowing how to deal with VBR (it will detect the file’s bitrate as the bitrate for the first bitstream of the file, which can be lower than 192)

But releasing the files is illegal, so why would I care, I encode for my MP3 player and to play tracks from my hard disk…I couldn’t care less about these release groups…

The reason i dragged the scene releases in this discussion is that it a acepted standard and a good quality(not perfect).
But we all have our different kbits vbr or cbr we like the imporant thing is that eac forfill our needs to rip :slight_smile:

I agree wtih Da_Taxman. Why should you use VBR for video data, but not for audio data. Also audio data is pretty complex and the required data depends on the actual signal, so VBR is simply more efficent than CBR.

Besides that, conformisn is not always a good basis (@192 kBit) ;-).

The problem with vbr (as far as i know) is that when the is a little compex sifgnal the codec will put it on a lower signal. But a solo violin seems to the codec a simple sound and it will encode on 90 kb/s wich will distord the sound of the violin

my only knock is that vbr will bring sounds that are supposed to be softer, more into the forefront. i was startled when i listened to a newly encoded version of pink floyds speak to me (track 1, dark side). the background @ the beginning was practically shouted out :wink:

A good jukebox program to use to organise your files which can also do good quality rips is:
Media Jukebox v8

It’s a great jukebox and does secure ripping which as far as I can make out sounds like the same type of ripping method that EAC uses.

It’ll also encode your files for you into wma, mp3 (using lame), ogg, ape, … (long list).