Best at reading scratched media

At the moment I own a Samsung SH-223f and some older pioneer writers. I am looking at an upgrade as they seem to have reasonably poor abilities to read scratched media. Are the lite-on’s the best with there error correction technology or are there better options?

I don’t mean to double post but there is no edit button, just thought i’d add what I own already, Samsung SH-223F SB03 firmware, Pioneer DVR-215BK 1.22 firmware, Pioneer DVR-110D 1.41 firmware and a Pioneer DVD-116 1.09 firmware, all rpc1 with bitsetting enabled. I was thinking of buying the liteon IHAS324 but would this be an upgrade to anything I have now?

Hi and Welcome!

in my opinion, Liteon and Samsung drives are on par when reading scratched discs is required. If you want to have more options with such bad discs, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have something totally different like a LG.

Michael
P.S.: The edit button is available for 30 minutes after submitting a post.

Am I right at presuming pioneer are rubbish at reading damaged dvd’s? My DVR-215 seems to be able to read dvd’s my samsung can’t on the rare occasion but my dvr-110d and dvd-116 are useless and I don’t even try. I may get myself a LG I need to get myself a 2nd sata drive anyway one day. Just need to get myself a HTPC case and set up 2nd pc with a few 1.5TB drives for storage.

[QUOTE=Roboat;2410090]Am I right at presuming pioneer are rubbish at reading damaged dvd’s? [/QUOTE]I don’t think so. Any drive has individual strengths and weaknesses. If you have a bad disc, I would try all drives available in order to recover the data from them. Sometimes the “poor readers” give better results than the “good readers”.

Michael