Best Antivirus

vbimport

We’ve all heard people give reasons as to why they like their antivirus program or give reasons as to why you feel one is better than another. I’m sure you’ve had many threads like this, but I love to hear opinions or facts :slight_smile: Have fun.

I used Avira free since 03 and hasn’t failed be yet and one has to always by default let the computer update the definition update to keep one’s computer protection up to date as well. But as anything everything is based from previous AV experience and how they used those AV. Also pay or free based updates does also determine what programs people use as well. So it’s not just best AV but is what your paying on annual bases doing it’s job to protect your computer and how many computers are you allowed to install AV to. So if one install doesn’t cost alot but having on more then one computer that expense does add up.

Sorry, I just read what I wrote and it doesn’t make sense. Here’s what I mean to say:

We’ve all heard people give reasons as to why they like their antivirus program or give reasons as to why they feel one is better than another. I’m sure you’ve had many threads like this, but I’d love to hear why you love your antivirus program or give reasons as to why you think it’s the best :slight_smile: Have fun.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2586790]I used Avira free since 03 and hasn’t failed be yet and one has to always by default let the computer update the definition update to keep one’s computer protection up to date as well. But as anything everything is based from previous AV experience and how they used those AV. Also pay or free based updates does also determine what programs people use as well. So it’s not just best AV but is what your paying on annual bases doing it’s job to protect your computer and how many computers are you allowed to install AV to. So if one install doesn’t cost alot but having on more then one computer that expense does add up.[/QUOTE]I haven’t used Avira yet but I’ll try it out for sure . . . I’ve heard mixed reactions about it, but it seems to be a sufficient program.

I installed Avira on one of my PC’s and the only drawback I see thus far is that uses quite a bit of processing power. With that being said, I think it’s a decent program itself, but I don’t think it’s necessary to be using that many resources :slight_smile: AVG, at this point, seems to be a better alternative for free antivirus. :slight_smile:

There isn’t a “best” virus scanner. Some are far better than others, but most catch the common pool. Some might find more trojans, other find more worms, etc.

To my opinion virusscanners should be free. And for Windows operating systems there is a free one indeed.

Together with best practices and a little common sense, you are pretty safe from viruses.

[QUOTE=skipton007;2586869]I haven’t used Avira yet but I’ll try it out for sure . . . I’ve heard mixed reactions about it, but it seems to be a sufficient program.[/QUOTE]

I don’t recall that but if so that is possible. But to stop the notify button from popping up there is a simple fix can do yourself that others have used to stop the notify popup from showing each time it does a update. I have it on 6 computers desktop and laptop and my brothers and they have all worked out fine without any problems. Plus with free updates that helps as paying each year can be expensive and if you don’t pay you don’t get updates. That is not a good business model to me. As Mr. Belvedere says there are common sense things one should do and know about what they click on and what they run as well to avoid those malware and virus traps.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2586909]There isn’t a “best” virus scanner. Some are far better than others, but most catch the common pool. Some might find more trojans, other find more worms, etc.

To my opinion virusscanners should be free. And for Windows operating systems there is a free one indeed.

Together with best practices and a little common sense, you are pretty safe from viruses.[/QUOTE]

This thread is supposed to be opinion based, friend, each person giving reasons as to why they feel one antivirus program is better than another or why they prefer to use one over another :slight_smile: that is what I stated :slight_smile:

With that being said, I do agree that having virus scanners as a free option would be nice. However, antivirus programs are businesses (Mcafee, Norton, etc). And, like with any business, they want to make money just as anyone else. I don’t mind having to pay for antivirus, as long as it’s not completely unreasonable, because, normally, the ones that you pay for work better than the ones that you don’t pay for. :slight_smile: Let the better program win :slight_smile:

Also, MSE isn’t a bad program. However, it does seem to use quite a bit of processing to run scans. I do agree that it’s decent (I would still prefer AVG) :slight_smile:

And 100% agree that if you use common sense, you can avoid most viruses.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2586967]I don’t recall that but if so that is possible. But to stop the notify button from popping up there is a simple fix can do yourself that others have used to stop the notify popup from showing each time it does a update. I have it on 6 computers desktop and laptop and my brothers and they have all worked out fine without any problems. Plus with free updates that helps as paying each year can be expensive and if you don’t pay you don’t get updates. That is not a good business model to me. As Mr. Belvedere says there are common sense things one should do and know about what they click on and what they run as well to avoid those malware and virus traps.[/QUOTE]I’m not sure why you quoted me :slight_smile: lol

Looking for pron or warez…that’s where you are in the most danger. (Not that I would know anything about that!)

And anti-virus programs can only detect what they know about. They won’t do diddly to stop something new. At which point, you are pretty much up the creek. Keep a system image handy if you want to go traipsin’ round the dangerous spots.

If you gotta run a anti virus, Microsoft Security Essentials ain’t bad, and its free, so can’t argue with the price. Run rootkit revealer now and again too.

[QUOTE=WTexSkeptic;2587026]Looking for pron or warez…that’s where you are in the most danger. [/QUOTE]And don’t forget sites like the NYT (New York Times) and other well-known names. Hijacked ad servers are not uncommon, so you can’t even trust “reputable” sites.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2587118]And don’t forget sites like the NYT (New York Times) and other well-known names. Hijacked ad servers are not uncommon, so you can’t even trust “reputable” sites.

Michael[/QUOTE]This is very true. Where I worked previously, I had a woman call about every two weeks getting infected from newws sites like the NYT. It doesn’t matter where you go nowadays. If you’re on the internet, your virus prone, antivirus or not–well, especially if you don’t have antivirus. :slight_smile: lol