Best alternative to bloatware like Nero

vbimport

I am tired of Nero it’s gotten to bloated and the new Metro UI is just awful. I hate everything Metro and talk about slow adding files in Nero Express to make an mp3 CD and every single file would hang for about 10 seconds or so saying not responding! I finally cancelled the process and deleted all of Nero 2014! Utter crap!

So I really am not wanting to reinstall Nero 12.5 now so wish to find a good all around alternative now.

An “all around alternative”? Nero has expanded its capabilities so much, there really aren’t too many media suites that offer all the same options. Roxio and Ashampoo are two options, but virtually no one I know uses either of them.

Which is why most of us use free software that is designed for specific tasks. ImgBurn is what we use for the actual burns to discs. It is possible to make audio cds in it by creating a cue file, and burning that. Very simple, but may not fit your needs exactly…

For creation of mp4 or mkv files, many are using Handbrake or VidCoder. MPC-HC or VLC instead of Nero Media Player, AVStoDVD for creation of DVD-video, etc. The free tools don’t come in one convenient package, but virtually all of them produce better output.

So what, exactly, do you work with in Nero, and what kinds of output are you looking for?

I use WinAmp and the ‘Playlist Unpacker’ plug-in to generate the playlist (it adds PL001, PL002,…PLXXX to the beginning of the filename - keeps them in order that way) and then burn with ImgBurn to make MP3 CDs. I’ve got to say though that all my car CD players now have USB jacks so I use thumb drives now.

General all in one type. Ok someone pointed me to this one which works for general burning BurnAware Pro.

Now since I will also recommend this to clients that use systems there is a couple of issues I found with this one that does not make it user friendly for the seniors in my area.

1. No bar to show how much room left it’s only text
  2. Have to use icon to go up a folder missing the default parent folder in directory list
  3. Enabling items like verify burn you have to go into the options they is no check boxes to enable or disable features easily at bottom of burn window.

But it is very small in size and easy for them to drag and drop to burn files.

1. Easily create mp3 or audio cd’s
  2. Easily burn data cd’s or dvd’s

Now some of my clients want to be able to easily create DVD video by simply drag and drop. In other words they do not need fancy authored DVD’s with complex menu’s and such they just want to easily burn to a dvd that they can put in player and play. Any suggestions?

If I can keep it to at least 2 simple programs than it will not be too bad. You want to create a DVD use this one and just drag your file over. You want to burn your data or create music than use this one and select data or music.

http://www.starburnsoftware.com/products/starburn/included

Not so well known,but maybe easy enough for what you want. :slight_smile:
I’ve used older versions,and it was already very user friendly then.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2720234]http://www.starburnsoftware.com/products/starburn/included

Not so well known,but maybe easy enough for what you want. :slight_smile:
I’ve used older versions,and it was already very user friendly then.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion but did not work for one of my needs. Tried to burn mp3 audio CD and it would only burn standard audio. Secondly would not even allow any type of compiling without a blank CD or DVD in drive first before even burning.

[QUOTE=molitar;2720237] Tried to burn mp3 audio CD and it would only burn standard audio.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK,mp3 has to be burned as data cd or dvd…when you add audiofiles to an audiocompilation,most programs transcode them automaticly to standard audio…

[QUOTE=molitar;2720237] Secondly would not even allow any type of compiling without a blank CD or DVD in drive first before even burning. [/QUOTE]

That’s weird…so,you can’t save a compilation to burn it later???
BTW,another 1 to check if it meets your needs:

http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=4

[QUOTE=roadworker;2720238]AFAIK,mp3 has to be burned as data cd or dvd…when you add audiofiles to an audiocompilation,most programs transcode them automaticly to standard audio…

That’s weird…so,you can’t save a compilation to burn it later???
BTW,another 1 to check if it meets your needs:

http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=4[/QUOTE]

You can save compilation but you must have blank disk in the drive first. Since I usually compile a project while scanning other drives into WinCatalog I could not create a project while using drive for something else.

Now for InfraRecorder…

Ok that once I used data CD for mp3 audio served my needs for simple data and music cd burning software. Now just the last part one for DVD making…

I’m going to check this one for DVD making and it’s GNU license sofware. Designing menu is optional.

DVDStyler

AVStoDVD will give better quality (using the HC encoder), but isn’t dirt simple. It will accept drag and drop files as input, but the program has to be set up properly, and it will only burn to a disc automatically if ImgBurn is installed.

I believe its output will remain on the hard drive too, even after ImgBurn has finished burning to a disc, so you’d have to periodically remove the DVD-video files.

[QUOTE=molitar;2720243]
I’m going to check this one for DVD making and it’s GNU license sofware. Designing menu is optional.

DVDStyler[/QUOTE]
If you’re going to try DVDStyler, I suggest that you download the portable version as the installer version is loaded with “scumware”.

Also, as a general authoring and burning tool, you might also try the very small, simple and portable AnyBurn. It will do most things that the bloatware suites will do.

[QUOTE=philamber;2720245]If you’re going to try DVDStyler, I suggest that you download the portable version as the installer version is loaded with “scumware”.

Also, as a general authoring and burning tool, you might also try the very small, simple and portable AnyBurn. It will do most things that the bloatware suites will do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion and the tip about the Scumware in DVDStyler.