Best all around $30~ Sata dvd burner on newegg

Things used to be simple back in the day, plextor was the best but overpriced, Lite-On had a cult following and NEC burners were the shit. These days its hard to find reviews of specific drives, cd-freaks seems to have lost itself in general purpose electronics reviews.

My question is as the title states - I’m looking around on newegg for a dvd burner to replace mine. My old one was chewing up verbatim media (sorry I dont have a media code I’m at work) at an incredible rate. I dont care about litescribe etc - I’ll never use it.

I dont burn all that much and know I should grab some TY media in the future but atm I need a new burner. Any suggestions? I understand the Samsung se/sh model linup is well liked but there are 3 of them and the newest ones dont have much by way of reviews.

BTW: What happened to dvd burner prices? They used to be $22-25. Now they’re all $30. No way its BD-burner demand, it cant be high enough yet.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

if you are looking for a general purpose drive, I’d consider an Optiarc AD-724x series drive. 32 USD @ Newegg.

Michael

What happened to DVD prices? My first was a Sony 4X 510 in a enclosure, Only $369 USD. You guys have it great now!!!

[QUOTE=mciahel;2453693]Hi,

if you are looking for a general purpose drive, I’d consider an Optiarc AD-724x series drive. 32 USD @ Newegg.

Michael[/QUOTE]
Hey thanks for the reply, is there anything in particular that makes you recommend it? Reviews etc? Maybe some special feature like a dvd-video read speed limiter that works well during playback but not when ripping a movie?

[QUOTE=jdub;2453881]Hey thanks for the reply, is there anything in particular that makes you recommend it? Reviews etc? Maybe some special feature like a dvd-video read speed limiter that works well during playback but not when ripping a movie?[/QUOTE]
My 7240S is easily among the quietest drives I own, whether watching a movie or ripping a DL at 12X. Of the drives at Newegg, I’d certainly agree its worth considering. I’ve had entirely too much trouble with my Samsung 223’s and DL’s to recommend those. Perhaps they just have a finicky SATA interface that doesn’t play nice with my machines :).

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2453870]What happened to DVD prices? My first was a Sony 4X 510 in a enclosure, Only $369 USD. You guys have it great now!!![/QUOTE]
:iagree: yep, 510a, I still have it I paid $250.00. First drive that would burn both + and - formats. The 7240 is a nice buy.

thanks dean

okay for those of you living WAAAAAY in the past: its time to move on. I’m already taping the nostalgia on the shoulder by wistfully remembering the days of $22-25 burners. I’m just curious wtf drove UP the cost since then.

I know competition was brutal and margins were thin, but did some part increase in cost? or did volumes slip? maybe it had something to do with the absorption of 2 or 3 of the big competitors over the last few years?