BenQ1640(EW164B) and External Box AgeStar IUB5A

I cannot make BenQ1640 or EW164B work in External Enclosure AgeStar IUB5A. In Device Manager it is seen as BGNS""DVD “DF GW 366B” "USB Device. QSuite2.1 says “Firmware or product not supported”. Nero CD-Speed does not recognize the drive. Tried other drives (LG H-12N and 20A1H) - same story. Any ideas? Thanks.

[QUOTE=NewFish;2023993]I cannot make BenQ1640 or EW164B work in External Enclosure AgeStar IUB5A. In Device Manager it is seen as BGNS""DVD “DF GW 366B” "USB Device. QSuite2.1 says “Firmware or product not supported”. Nero CD-Speed does not recognize the drive. Tried other drives (LG H-12N and 20A1H) - same story. Any ideas? Thanks.[/QUOTE]Heyyo NewFish just off the top of my head…what chipset is inside that external case? Does the drive jumper need to be in master position?

Edit:
What about the most current drivers? > http://www.agestar.com/english/support/

Hi :slight_smile:
As far as I know only the Pioneer seems to like to be Master regardless.
BenQ’s & Lite-Ons shouldn’t be fussy.
It sounds like you need to change your caddy.
The chipset isn’t cutting it.

[QUOTE=Bob;2023997]Heyyo NewFish just off the top of my head…what chipset is inside that external case? Does the drive jumper need to be in master position?
Edit:
What about the most current drivers? > http://www.agestar.com/english/support/[/QUOTE]
Chipset Cypress.
I have tried master, cs and no jumper.
Afaik, drivers are needed for Windows 98.
@zebadee
Before buying the box I have read in a forum that Cypress chipset is ok for BenQ 1640.
When I click the drive icon in My Computer, I get I/O device error.

[QUOTE=NewFish;2024041]Chipset Cypress.
@zebadee
Before buying the box I have read in a forum that Cypress chipset is ok for BenQ 1640.
When I click the drive icon in My Computer, I get I/O device error.[/QUOTE]I thought maybe there might be a f/w fix for your external case. I never really looked sorry :o

[quote=NewFish;2024041]Chipset Cypress.
@zebadee
When I click the drive icon in My Computer, I get I/O device error.[/quote]

I am sorry but I believe that Cypress are not the best.
I think if memory serves me correctly that Prolific chipsets are the ones that work best for most folk.
Again from memory PL3507 seems to ring a bell.
Ironically I think it is a Cypress chipset in the case of the BenQ 164B. But must be modified in some way or just a different chip. Not widely available.
You could try seeing if there are updates for the USB drivers on your motherboard. Try uninstalling them & loading the latest MS ones.

@zebadee
Thanks.

Hi NewFish,

I have an older Iomega “Super DVD” USB enclosure with Cypress CY7C68300A chipset which works very well with all my Lite-On’s (it came with a 1633S - jumpered as Slave no less). It gives me ~24MB/s and full 16X speed on my nForce3 system. I had it empty on my desk right here and put in a BenQ 1620 for you, it wasn’t picked up in Linux, so try to reboot into Windows and it hangs my PC at the boot splash. Unplugging and plugging it back after XP has loaded, it isn’t picked up either (just the ding-dong sound, no sign of it in Device Manager).

Just to say it’s probably a hardware compatibility issue like zebadee said. I’m surprised you’re having problems with the Lite-On though.

[QUOTE=Cressida;2024230]Hi NewFish,
I have an older Iomega “Super DVD” USB enclosure with Cypress CY7C68300A chipset which works very well with all my Lite-On’s (it came with a 1633S - jumpered as Slave no less). It gives me ~24MB/s and full 16X speed on my nForce3 system. I had it empty on my desk right here and put in a BenQ 1620 for you, it wasn’t picked up in Linux, so try to reboot into Windows and it hangs my PC at the boot splash. Unplugging and plugging it back after XP has loaded, it isn’t picked up either (just the ding-dong sound, no sign of it in Device Manager).
Just to say it’s probably a hardware compatibility issue like zebadee said. I’m surprised you’re having problems with the Lite-On though.[/QUOTE]
Hi
I have used Slave option but without success. So I have decided to stop all the experiments for now and will try to exchange the box for another model with Prolific or Oxford chipset.

Really try for the Prolific.
I have a couple with oxford chipset & they’re OK.
But the Prolific is definitely the safer bet.

Here’s scan of the first burn with BenQ1640 in External Enclosure AgeStar model ICB5A (USB2.0+IEEE 1394A) which I received as a replacement of a defective box model IUB5A.
Speed - 12x, time - 6:27, SB - off/on, OS - on, WOPC - on
Burst rate - 20 MB/s
Cannot find out the brand of a chipset.
Trying to perform TRT, I get a communication CRC error, with burn at 16x I get a no additional sense information error.
Please advise me how to improve the performance of the drive. Maybe crossflashing or using IEEE 1394A? Thnx.

[QUOTE=NewFish;2031390]Here’s scan of the first burn with BenQ1640 in External Enclosure AgeStar model ICB5A (USB2.0+IEEE 1394A) which I received as a replacement of a defective box model IUB5A.
Speed - 12x, time - 6:27, SB - off/on, OS - on, WOPC - on
Burst rate - 20 MB/s
Cannot find out the brand of a chipset.
Trying to perform TRT, I get a communication CRC error, with burn at 16x I get a no additional sense information error.
Please advise me how to improve the performance of the drive. Maybe crossflashing or using IEEE 1394A? Thnx.[/QUOTE]My 1620 manages 16x TRT in my USB2 enlcosure, my 1650 hit’s a barrier at 14x. It sounds like you might max out alittle above 12x, you could try the external 1640 firmware instead of BSLB. Firewire tends to be faster but no guarantees. My Oxford FW enclosure hits a wall at 9x regardless of drive, Plextor enclosure FW hits 16x easy.

[I]My apologies to NewFish for posting off topic.[/I][QUOTE=chaosoffar2k;2031459]My 1620 manages 16x TRT in my USB2 enlcosure, my [B]1650 hit’s a barrier at 14x[/B]…[/QUOTE]… And won’t go that much further in any other enclosure, (because there isn’t any “external” firmware for 165* drives). :wink:

[QUOTE=chaosoffar2k;2031459]My Oxford FW enclosure hits a wall at 9x regardless of drive…[/QUOTE]I’ve the very same experience with my oldish 911 Oxford enclosure. :sad:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2031477][I]My apologies to NewFish for posting off topic.[/I]… And won’t go that much further in any other enclosure, (because there isn’t any “external” firmware for 165* drives). :wink:
I’ve the very same experience with my oldish 911 Oxford enclosure. :sad:[/QUOTE]Well, at least I know it isn’t only me. I generally only used it on my Mac so I didn’t notice the problem until I’d owned it over a year. At least 8x burning works well.

Thanks guys
Found out that chipset is Prolific3507.
Connected to FireWire, still cannot do TRT and burn at 16x.
Will crossflash the drive to EW 164B and see how it will perform.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2024006]Hi :slight_smile:
As far as I know only the Pioneer seems to like to be Master regardless.
BenQ’s & Lite-Ons shouldn’t be fussy.
It sounds like you need to change your caddy.
The chipset isn’t cutting it.[/QUOTE]

i agree :iagree:

BenQ1640@EW164B, BEGB, in External Box AgeStar ICB5A, FireWire
Verbatim DVD-R16x, MCC 03RG20
Burn speed selected: 16x, 6:19
SB - off/on, OS - off, WOPC - on
Burst rate - 26MB/s