I used to own a BenQ1620, and purchased the 1640 based on that experience, but when it arrived from NewEgg it caused immediate problems.
Used the 1640 to install Win2000 Pro on a re-built/re-configured machine and it caused chronic, “low-level” problems (system hangs, freezes, crashes, missing system files, etc…).
Took almost a month before I proved it was the 1640 causing the problems by:
First, re-installing the O/S with another (CD-RW) drive and then;
Second, moving the 1640 to another system where it immediately started causing problems (device not found errors, no files listed when media is insterted, etc…).
I have concluded that what the 1640 did was corrupt the O/S data during the install, which was the ultimate cause of all the other (seemingly unrelated) problems. But it took 4 weeks to figure it out.
NewEgg was nice enough to give me an RMA number even though the 30 warranty period had been expired by almost a week. (Thanks NewEgg !)
I COULD just RMA the thing and wait for repair or (hopefully) exchange, but before I do that I would like to know if it is possible that:
Either I may have done (or failed to do something) that might be causing these problems or,
I can do something that might fix them. Such as a firmware upgrade. (The 1640 has the code “BSHB” on the manufacturer’s label, so I assume that is the firmware it has installed.)
But then it seems unlikely that a firmware upgrade will fix what are essentially “basic” problems, and I don’t know if these will cause problems if/when I RMA it.
More likely (and my primary question here) is the possibility that there could be a problem with the driver(s). I didn’t do anything special when I used the BenQ to do the first O/S install on the Win2000 machine, because it immediately recognized the 1640, named it a “BenQ1640” and (seemingly) started working normally.
It was also recognized by the other (WinXP) machine, even though it wouldn’t work properly.
Is it worth the trouble to (physically) re-install the 1640 and install BenQ’s (I assume) unsigned XP drivers and see if that fixes it ?
Is it worth the trouble to update the firmware ?
Thanks in advance,