BenQ unveils DW1800/DW1805

vbimport

At COMPUTEX TAIPEI, BenQ unveils new DVD drives.

New! BenQ DW1805 (LightScribe, SolidBurn)

New! BenQ DW1800 (DVD-RAM)

I worry that these drives have new 18x NEC chipset…

BW1000 Blu-ray Drive has SATA interface.

It seems that BenQ does not release SATA version of DVD burner.

Does this mean 1805 has no RAM support ? and 1800 has no SolidBurn feature ? :confused:

It seems that BenQ does not release SATA version of DVD burner.

there should be DW180S, was not on display at Computex.

I simply LOVE the look of these puppies. :stuck_out_tongue:

It looks to me that the DW1800 will be based on a Panasonic chipset, while the the DW1805 will be based on the traditional Nexperia chipset.

I know which one I’m interested in :stuck_out_tongue: DW1805

so do i. finally new bezel with Nexperia :smiley:

BW1000 - bring it on!

no specs?

Windows XP SATA default driver gives some SATA optical drives problems and thus BenQ will launch around 5% of the drives as SATA, the rest are PATA. And there is no demand for it. I’ve been waiting for SATA drive but I am not willing to spend over $100 for a plextor drive that does not have DL capability. I dont have anymore IDE lanes left and I have 8 SATA2 Lanes. Well, Optical drive will soon be forced to make SATA drives because the new Broadwater Chipset from Intel will only support SATA drives. I dont wanna use 1 IDE cable connecting 2 drives and I only have 2 IDE lanes with 3 drives attached. The ripper drive is by itself and the dedicated burning drives are attached to 1 cable. I have no choice but doing that because I am a sucker when I see benQ drives go on sale so I gotta have it. I have 6 burners total installed in 2 computers.

Hi,

have you considered getting a Samsung SH-W163A (if available in your region)?

Michael

"…but also “DW180S” of serial ATA correspondence was displayed as a sisters machine."
Says article on this page when translated with babelfish.

BTW, who said; "No more BenQ". :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to see this drive but if the 1670 is an example of how fast they bring drives to the market, we will probably wait until the next decade for this one.

So what’s the deal? Another thread says no more Benq drives, yet we are seeing new models soon to be released.

I would love to see this drive but if the 1670 is an example of how fast they bring drives to the market, we will probably wait until the next decade for this one

i read something about end of this year :frowning:

I thought they were eaten by Lite-On…?

BenQ is currently concentrating on other fields (e.g developing mobile telephony products with Siemens), but the fact that Liteon acquired their optical drives division doesn’t mean that there will not be new models. BenQ is a well respected brand name in optical drives with a big fanbase among users, and it would be foolish for Liteon to discard the brand altogether. As I mentioned before I don’t know whether BenQ will retain their optical drives development team (which will operate under Liteon guidelines), or whether Liteon will take over future BenQ development altogether. In both cases I think that there will be some interesting drives to come out of this ‘marriage’. Lets hope that a newer variant of the Nexperia chip will be featured in some of these future drives…

I hope the new team does not forget the fanbase which is using the 16XX drives and expecting that the firmwares for those will be brought to maturity.

If not, this fanbase will have tremendous reluctance to move on to new Benq products.
This is how I see the “No more Benq” thread.

They indeed look nice, wonder if they will ever make a nexperia based drive that supports RAM too.

Finally…The Benq DW1800 begins pre-order in Taiwan. :bigsmile:

Website PCHome in Taiwan. About NT 1599。

The estimated time as buyers to get the new toy is 2006/10/30 ~ 2006/11/05

Is that its final look beacuse I remember the DW1650/1655 looking something like that before it was officially released but when it was it looks very different and any word on final specs (chipsets)?