BenQ - Setting Booktype DVD-Rom

vbimport

Finally am pretty happy with my BenQ DW1620 I think. It was a Bulkpack drive and I cross flashed it to B7S9 at first and that firmware just didn’t seem to be working well with it - I flashed it back to B7P9 and now my scans seem to be pretty good overall.

My problem is though, I can’t figure out how to set the booktype on this drive. I know they have the Booktype Management program but how do you use it so the defaults stay to Set Booktype DVD-Rom? I’m pretty confused here since I have a NEC-ND2500A as my other drive and that was just a matter of setting it in DVDInfoPro and the settings stuck in permanently. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

the drive is alreaty set.
Booktyping means: setting whatever media to Dvd-rom for compatinility issue.
But if u get the book type management software u can set the + to also remain as +
Remember only the + type media support booktiping

I understand the fact that only +R media needs Booktype settings. But I just burned a DVD and can infact confirm my DVD-Rom Booktype is not set. /boggle

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
Media Product Revision Number 02h
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name WARLOCK2
Application id ELBY CLONEDVD
Implementation id ELABORATE BYTES
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 12/11/2004 10:29:49
Format Capacity 4.20GB(4.51GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 2195FFh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Plain as day I think… I’d like to change the Book Type to DVD-ROM instead of DVD+R.

Go to this site and get CDSPEED, it allows bitsetting the firmware.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Or you can go to the Benq support site and get the following:

http://support.benq.com/front/BenqMain.asp?MenuHead=128&ShowType=program&FileURL=service/driverlist.asp&Dataid=15041&downloadclass=Software&product=3731&langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

BookType Management v8.4

Thanks dsdarli. Not sure what changed but it’s not listing everything as set to DVD-Rom in DVDinfopro - I was able to change to that and ever since it’s been listed as such. A little confusing but at least it’s working that far. :slight_smile:

The BookType Management v8.4 tool from BenQ works perfectly. You can get it here as the post above mentioned:

http://support.benq.com/files/Storage/Software/Book%20Type%20Management/BookType%20Management%20v8.4.zip

At least with the BenQ DW1620 you can just use this tool once to set the booktype to DVD-ROM forever for DVD+R, DVD+RW, & DVD+R DL discs. This is unlike your NEC-ND2500A where you had to use “hacked” firmware in order to enable booktype bitsetting. With the BenQ DW1620, booktype bitsetting is enabled in the retail firmware.

Hi all.

I bought 1620 few days ago and did my first DVD+R burn with this burner. Even though BM 8.4 shows that writing “+” media is set to DVD-ROM, after burning the YUDEN000T02 it remained DVD+R. Today I will try Nero as the first burn I did with bundled Sonic RecordNow 7.1. But I think booktype setting is set in BenQ firmware and therefore it shouldn’t matter which burning sw i use and every “+” media that comes out my burner should be DVD-ROM. Am I right?

Thanx for any recommendation.

Disk Info in Nero and other disk information tools will still report DISK Type as DVD+ disks, because that is what they are. You are NOT changing the DISK type.

BUT if you LOOK closely you should see BOOK-Type setting as DVD-ROM if you have it set to burn this way in the Book Type Management tool from BenQ (see above post about it). You only need to set this once and the BenQ should burn the disk this way every time.

So FIRST:
Look at your disk info again,
Should say DISK type - DVD+R/RW
Should say BOOK type - DVD-ROM

If NOT
Then run Book Type Management tool from BenQ and set it to burn as DVD-ROM
and burn another disk.

For +RW’s you can ALSO change the BOOK-type as DVD-ROM after burning with a program like DVD-INFO Pro.
http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Hope this helps!

@Falco63
I realized all that after sending my post when I put burnt DVD into my LiteOn 165H - it showed up as DVD-ROM in CD-DVD Speed and in DVD-Info Pro it shows exactly what you write.
Anyway, your post help me to clear that up.
THANX!