BenQ Rebadges

vbimport

[QUOTE=memory;2658181]very good deanwitty. :cool:

maybe a suggested change
"Thanks to all for their investigative work in finding these rebadged BenQ jewels.“
to
"Special Thanks to [B]jadburner[/B] and [B]negritude[/B] and to all for their investigative work in finding these rebadged BenQ jewels.”

specially [B]jadburner[/B] and [B]negritude[/B] trimmed the list some years. :flower:[/QUOTE]
Thank you, my friend :flower:

I like your idea. Something like that seems justified.

[QUOTE=memory;2658136]thanks but that was not the problem.

BenQ DW1640
Sony DRU-810A ([B]some[/B]) *, DRX-810UL (ext/some) , DRX-810UL/T (mac/ext/some) *
[1]
Be EXTREMELY careful before crossflashing the Sony 810 series drives! Make sure you know if you have a DW1640 or DW165x before attempting to crossflash!

that “([B]some[/B])” was the problem. :bigsmile:
what was meant with this “([B]some[/B])”?
before i kill a drive i ask two times. ;)[/QUOTE]

That means that you can’t always tell by the model number on the outer packaging, you have to physically inspect the drive to know for sure.

For external drives, you can’t tell without opening the enclosure up.

BTW, on the next to last line of the list of drives, you need to add “(mediatek/lite-on)”, because that was actually supposed to be a single line that got split in two.

[QUOTE=negritude;2659907]That means that you can’t always tell by the model number on the outer packaging, you have to physically inspect the drive to know for sure.

For external drives, you can’t tell without opening the enclosure up.[/QUOTE]

Do you think that the caution that I left in the new sticky is sufficient?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2659910]Do you think that the caution that I left in the new sticky is sufficient?[/QUOTE]

My original blanket admonishment and liberal use of “some” was intentionally and deliberately more cautious. You changed things a bit to only refer to external drives and removed a “some” or two, but the problem of proper identification is tricky. You can decide how to word it, but it needs to be clear that

(a) the outer packaging is not enough with boxed internal drives, you have to actually look at the drive label to be sure,

and

(b) with external drives, you have to crack the enclosure open to be absolutely sure.

Notice how @memory above, had to stop and ask a question about what “some” meant? That’s exactly what I want newbies to do, stop and think before cross-flashing, so they don’t destroy their drives.

I’m reasonably cautious by nature, too. I did try to distinguish between the A and A-R using color highlights, and of course leaving the (some) in next to the externals to prompt anyone to look further. Can you think of another way to highlight the distinction between A and A-R without the perhaps overly ambiguous (some) next to it?

[QUOTE=negritude;2659912]My original blanket admonishment and liberal use of “some” was intentionally and deliberately more cautious. You changed things a bit to only refer to external drives and removed a “some” or two, but the problem of proper identification is tricky. You can decide how to word it, but it needs to be clear that

(a) the outer packaging is not enough with boxed internal drives, you have to actually look at the drive label to be sure,

and

(b) with external drives, you have to crack the enclosure open to be absolutely sure.

Notice how @memory above, had to stop and ask a question about what “some” meant? That’s exactly what I want newbies to do, stop and think before cross-flashing, so they don’t destroy their drives.[/QUOTE]
Thanks negritude. :iagree:

For a’lot of new members (moderators included) cdfreaks history might not be known that well. And in this case this thread can exemplify what made us aware abouth the difference betwen 810A and 810A-R
[810A firmware 1.0e is a part of confusion]

[QUOTE=pinto2;2661208]Thanks negritude. :iagree:

For a’lot of new members (moderators included) cdfreaks history might not be known that well. And in this case this thread can exemplify what made us aware abouth the difference betwen 810A and 810A-R
[810A firmware 1.0e is a part of confusion][/QUOTE]

That’s two votes for more caution.

Thanks for pointing that thread, an excellent way to let people know what they’re getting into. Does the sticky reflect a more appropriate level of caution now?

It’s not my intention to edit the firs post in this thread and also, I don’t have the time nowdays to checkup all the rebrands and rebadges of Nexperia-chip drives. {Man, I must be getting old and lazy. Let’s hope somebody has the time.}
But there is a lot more to it to make me satisfied. :flower:

But then, for this forum [cdfreaks] I’ve intently fried up quite a few drives in the name of “experimenting”… :bigsmile:
This in the sake that our yougest members should’t need to make the very same “mistake”. :slight_smile:

hi
I see there are quite a few DVD8701 on ebay. Can those be bought without distinction, they all are good old 1640s? Do they need to be flashed?

http://www.ebay.ch/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=DVD8701&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=2

[QUOTE=Lebowsky;2772686]hi
I see there are quite a few DVD8701 on ebay. Can those be bought without distinction, they all are good old 1640s? Do they need to be flashed?

http://www.ebay.ch/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=DVD8701&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=2[/QUOTE]

Lebowsky - Yes, DVD8701 drives are DW1640s (as are DRU-810A and PX-740A drives, among others). You will need to flash the drive using BQFlasher.

thank you :slight_smile: ordered one