Benq PIF/PIE

I have a Benq I620 &1655, I know the PIE/PIF tests show higher numbers then , say, a Lite-on scan, what are good numbers for the Benq’s?
T.I.A.

Here’s how my simple mind sees it:

-MediaTek chipset LiteOn’s report PIF per 1 ECC block (ECC stands for Error Correcting Code if you want to google). Maximum allowed PIF value is 4, which corresponds with a 95% score in CDSpeed for LiteOn scans.

• Nexperia chipset BenQ’s report PIF per 8 ECC blocks, so in a worst case scenario you could say you can have a max. of (8 x 4) = 32 PIF in those 8 blocks. This would represent a bad PIF “cluster” however and in practice a max. PIF value of 8 corresponds with a 95% score in CDSpeed for BenQ scans.

This doesn’t apply to PIE (max. allowed value is 280 in both cases), but you’ll still see differences between the two drive types, just because they’re different drive types ;).

[QUOTE=Cressida;2031378]Here’s how my simple mind sees it:

-MediaTek chipset LiteOn’s report PIF per 1 ECC block (ECC stands for Error Correcting Code if you want to google). Maximum allowed PIF value is 4, which corresponds with a 95% score in CDSpeed for LiteOn scans.

• Nexperia chipset BenQ’s report PIF per 8 ECC blocks, so in a worst case scenario you could say you can have a max. of (8 x 4) = 32 PIF in those 8 blocks. This would represent a bad PIF “cluster” however and in practice a max. PIF value of 8 corresponds with a 95% score in CDSpeed for BenQ scans.

This doesn’t apply to PIE (max. allowed value is 280 in both cases), but you’ll still see differences between the two drive types, just because they’re different drive types ;).[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply, very helpful, so a Benq can have up to 32 Pif, the reason I asked was I recently got a Benq 1620, and the burns have been very good according to this info, my PIF’s have been about 11 -15.

You’re welcome. Just think of what one 32 PIF BenQ spike could look like in a LiteOn scan. It could also be just one 32 PIF spike or it could be one 12 spike plus another 20 spike or again it could be the eight adjacent 4 PIF spikes mentioned above, etc. None of these possibilities is desirable however (although the 8 x 4 is theoretically in spec.). But the individual 11 - 15 PIF spikes in your scans are perfectly acceptable.

[QUOTE=Cressida;2031378]Here’s how my [B]simple mind[/B] sees it:…

Post when more details needed, [I]Cressida[/I]. :wink:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2031441]… And is also able to report [B]1 ECC[/B] block at 4x speed. :smiley:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/new-benq-1ecc-error-scanning-thread-214040/#post1742376

Post when more details needed, [I]Cressida[/I]. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes I forgot, thanks for reminding me, pinto2. I had the standard 8x speed BenQ scans in mind. :slight_smile: