BENQ/Phillips DW1650 DVD/RW drive

vbimport

Hello,

I purchased the BENQ/Phillips DW1650 DVD/RW drive (rebranded under a different name) from CompUSA a few months ago. I have finally got around to where I want to try and do some burning. I have noticed that when I put the blank DVD media into the drive it sees it as a CD. It also does not open it up for burning, its like it does not see the drive at all.

I have read a little on this forum about flashing the firmware and such. I am a little uncomfortable at the moment on this.

I tried to use BENQ’s site (www.BENQ.com), but its usless from a support perspective.

Can someone provide me some assistance on this?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi and welcome,

This is a err… feature of Windows Explorer. Nothing to be worried about.

It also does not open it up for burning, its like it does not see the drive at all.
This is normal, too, as Windows burning service does not support DVD discs. Use a CD/DVD burning application.

Michael
P.S.: There is a huge Benq section on CDF :wink: worth spending a little time of reading :slight_smile:

i had this happen to my 1650 last week but with no media in the drive, i uninsatlled the IDE drivers and rebooted and it was reconised as a dvd/rw again

If what you wanted to do, is to burn ISO images to DVD and you are planning on running Windows Vista, check this out :
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
Right-click an ISO image, and burn to CD in XP, or DVD in Vista.
Or right-click any ODD and create an ISO image file from the inserted disk.
Or copy on the fly (not sure, because it’s over a year since I used it).

After you install ISO Recorder, no program group is created and there is no application to run.
ISO Recorder is a Shell extension, which means it provides additional options in a file right-click menu.
To create a CD with ISO Recorder right-click on a file with .iso extension and select “Copy Image to CD”

It’s free for personal use.

ImgBurn is far superior :stuck_out_tongue: as it supports DVD images on any supported Windows version.

Michael

I agree, and know it’s superior. I use ImgBurn myself.
But I was under the impression (like you) that the TS expected to see and access a blank DVD he inserted from Windows Explorer. So who am I to argue ? (Especially when there is a way.) :

And the reason why I started my phrase with [B]“If what you wanted to do, is to burn ISO images to DVD …”[/B], is because if he wanted to make a compilation and burn that to DVD, my suggestion (ISO Recorder) wouldn’t have helped him either :

The above quote doesn’t let me know what (ISO, disc, or compilation) and how he exactly wanted to do this.

Also ISO Recorder does have it’s place. It’s very good for users who know their way around Windows but are casual/not-so-frequent (ISO) burners. The right-click menu has become second nature to many. ImgBurn’s zillion right-click menus for example ?

Quoting the topic starter :

It took him a few months to try and burn something.