BenQ OEM firmware update

vbimport

I have just bought a BenQ 1620 OEM drive with G7L9 firmware. I am wondering if I should:

1. flash it to the latest bulk firmware version
  2. cross flash it to retail or
  3. leave it alone

I have been searching the forums for the last while and have been finding mixed opinions and results. Some say to flash it back to 1600 then to 1620 retail for example. Is the latest retail firmware superior to the latest bulk firmware? The model of this benq 1620 oem (as listed on drive) is: DW1620.0C3 and manufactured date is: Oct. 2004 (Malaysia). I am running Windows XP Pro (SP1) (NTFS file system)

What would you do?
Thx.

Test the drive to make sure all is well. You can post your results here for others to review. There have been some quality issues with the 1620.

I just made a backup of some data to dvd using Record Now 7. Went ok. I also backed up my original dvd movies of “The Fog - Special Edition” and “Jaws - 25th Aniversary Edition” usin DVD Shrink 3.2. “The Fog” was originally 6.6 Gb and DVD Shrink shrunk it down to 4464 Gb (auto setting). The video slider bar in the main movie folder was set to 71% on auto setting. Forgive my terminology, this is my first time using DVD Shrink :slight_smile: I burned it without ripping anything out and the copy looks identical to the original (watched all of it including extras and not a hitch). I was amazed by this. Thought there would be a quality loss. I’m using Maxell DVD -R’s from Walmart (MID=MXL RG03 / JAPAN) that are 8x certified and I burned everything at 12x without any problems. I’m playing these back on a Playstation 2 as it’s my only standalone player at the moment.

The only thing that sucks so far is the read speed. I’m using the benq as the reader also. It took DVD Shrink 30 mins to read the image , another 30 mins to encode, and 5 mins or so to burn. Is riplock this bad? I don’t know if my DVD Shrink settings are what they should be, I’m just using defaults (might have put a check in “deep analysis”). Also the IDE cable I’m using is at least 4 years old and the drive is running in UDMA mode 2. My average read speed in the nero speed test was 6.23x. I’ll post Nero speed test results later or if anyone wants to see any other test results let me know.

If you have G7L9 on it, there is at least one good reason for upgrading to G7P9 (which will not touch your warranty):
PIE/PIF testing with L9 is slow and does not give one of those rates (forgot which).

Boot to safe mode, run the G7P9 updater you can get e.g. from the benq.com / Location: US, reboot windows, will tell you you possibly need to reboot for the new hardware (win as usual), so do it and enjoy much better disc quality scans.

Go Retail no earlier than you are SURE everything is okay! In the Recording hw / Benq/Philips Forum you will find more and more examples of ppl whose DW1620 (I guess mostly OEM, but some retails or Philips branded drives as well) died in the first 6-8 weeks or so.

Here’s an image of the Nero CD Speed test. Not sure how to insert an image. Hope this works.

Damn that didn’t work.

If you have G7L9 on it, there is at least one good reason for upgrading to G7P9 (which will not touch your warranty):
PIE/PIF testing with L9 is slow and does not give one of those rates (forgot which).

Do you think that flashing to this firmware would significantly increase read speeds? If it’s only gonna save 2 minutes off a half hour or somethin like that I don’t think I’ll bother. Leave well enough alone. Seen too many bad results of flashing on this forum.