BenQ is SLOW

I bought a BenQ DW1655 and a really cheap 25 dollar no name brand dvd writer.

When i burn movies, audio files, whatever, the cheap writer is flawless.

My BenQ though seems to not want to burn faster than 2.4x if that.

By searching on these boards i thought it may be the DMA, it’s not. ConvertXDVD says the DMA is on, and that is seconded by NeroInfoTool.

The BenQ is in the Slave slot of my IDE.

I would imagine the BenQ would burn better onto DVD’s that will then play in more DVD players. Any suggestions?

set the drive as master.

BenQ has had some problems with their latest bios updates that tend to manifest in this way (slow 2.4X burning - typically with very poor quality). Consider backflashing to an earlier bios and see if the problem goes away.

Also, how is your “no-name” burner identified? Chances are it’s a rebadge of one of the bigger names and the people in this forum may well know what it really is.

Finally, what is the “MID” code of the media that you are burning? You can use CDSpeed (CD-DVD Speed is a free download at http://www.cdspeed2000.com/) and the BenQ drive to provide that information. Launch CDSpeed and click on the “Disc Quality” tab. Next, look for the label “ID:” located near the upper-right corner - the MID code is located just to the right of this label.

An aside - it is often useful to use CDSpeed’s “Disc Quality” function to evaluate how well a burner is actually burning the discs. Burn quality typically varies wildly between both burner manufacturers and disc types.

The BenQ drive allows you to use CDSpeed to read any DVD and provide a graphical presentation of errors found on it. All DVD discs, whether store-pressed or user-burned, are always full of errors - to perhaps a frightening degree. Fortunately, the writer adds two levels of error-correction data to be used later on to correct all of these errors. All DVD readers know about these two levels of error-correction data and apply it automatically to transparently repair the raw data during the reading process.

What the CDSpeed “Disc Quality” scan gives you is the ability to view these errors graphically as they are scanned back from the disc. The top graph shows you all of the errors as they are read back from the disc without any error -correction data yet applied. The bottom graph shows you the remaining errors after the first level of error correction data has been applied.

Note that CDSpeed doesn’t attempt to graph the errors that might remain after the second level of error correction is applied - since a properly burned disc [B]must[/B] have zero errors remaining at this point, or it’s considered to be a “coaster”. If errors are still encountered after the second (and also the “last-chance”) level of error-correction data is applied, then CDSpeed will merely count them in the “PO failures” count (located along the bottom of the CDSpeed window). Needless to say, “PO failures” should always show a count of zero.

So if you want to compare your discs to see which ones have the better error-rate, try doing a “Disc Quality” scan from within CDSpeed.

PS - If you already know about all of this CDSpeed stuff, I apologize for providing useless information; however, perhaps some other users browsing this forum might find it useful.

My BenQ though seems to not want to burn faster than 2.4x if that

my 1655 will burn at 8x + with the latest firmware update (BCHB)

Also, how is your “no-name” burner identified? Chances are it’s a rebadge of one of the bigger names

ID your burner using [B]Nero CD-DVD Speed Tool[/B] as per Spartanes’ post to be sure what you really have.

regards, katzz :slight_smile:

You also need to identify the media used with Nero CD-DVD Speed “Disc Info”. Let us know what is the MID.

Also, which firmware you have.

Thanks guys. First off, my BenQ’s firmware is at BCHB which i understand is the newest firmware. I have allready tried to backtrack to older firmwares, with no luck.

My “no name” brand burner is labeled in Nero InfoTool as DVDRW IDE 16X. It has firmware version A089…

Lastly, should i attempt to switch the IDE cables and make the BenQ master, will that do anything?

You were asked 2 days ago to use CD-DVD Speed & the Disc Info function. This will give us vital info to help you. Obviously you need a blank disc inserted at the time.

In this app save the image using the “floppy icon” (top right) and save as a png image & then post that back here using the Manage Attachments function in Go Advanced.

[QUOTE=CColtManM]
My “no name” brand burner is labeled in Nero InfoTool as DVDRW IDE 16X. It has firmware version A089…

This brand of burner with f/w A089 is Aopen brand and you can go to www.aopen.com and get more information about it.

I have had problem with BCHB firmware. It slow my 8X,16Xmedia to 4X (and some in this forum got only 2.4X) I flashed back to BCGB and it works like it’s supposed to.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=182365

This is a bit vague - as I interpret it, you could mean any one of the following possible things :slight_smile: :

1. I tried to find the older firmware but failed to locate it.
  2. I tried to flash the burner with the older firmware but the flash failed to work.
  3. I flashed back to an older firmware but the problem remained the same.

Assuming you’re having a bit of trouble locating the older firmware, you can get BCDB here:

http://support.benq.com/front/BenqMain.asp?MenuHead=128&ShowType=program&FileURL=service/driverlist.asp&Dataid=21205&downloadclass=Driver&product=3731&langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

It might also be a BTC burner - specifically a DRW 1016 burner as per this page:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=145930&highlight=a089

Lastly, should i attempt to switch the IDE cables and make the BenQ master, will that do anything?
You should probably attempt this just to rule it out. In addition, I’d recommend that you consider temporarily disconnecting the other drive while you run your tests - just to rule out some sort of weird conflict. It’s unlikely, but I’ve heard of that sort of thing occasionally happening.

When i briefly owned a 1650 it did not like being on the same IDe as my liteon,first burn was a coaster, seems the new benq’s are finicky.
Def set the Q to master and unhook the other drive off the the same ide cable.

Mine is slave to a Pioneer 111L & it’s performance is not affected in any way by this.

I switched back to an older firmware, BCGB, thanks for the tip by the way, and the burner is burning at a requested 4x speed, at 4.10-4.13 steady. So all is well at that speed.

At 8x requested, it burned at a 7.35 speed. Not the max, but the dvd-r’s are only rated at 8x, so i won’t be doing that speed again. Just so i know its up in the 7x-8x speed is better than before.

Thanks everyone!

Why would BenQ release firmware that sucks?

:iagree: My 1650 is slave to a LG-4163B and works fine :iagree:

Michael

Good question!