BenQ hardware installation

vbimport

Hello, I’m a newbie (total newbie) and I found this forum trying to make my BenQ 1620 pro (internal) work.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400. I replaced my regular DVD drive with the BenQ and my computer can’t detect the thing and my CD drive won’t work either. When I restart, sometimes the computer makes a noise and it displays a screen something about a slave, master not found.

When I bought the thing, the “the Hardware Quick Start Guide” wasn’t in detail enough and it didn’t have an installation CD with it. I checked the official website and they didn’t have a manual available for 1620. I’ve been browsing the internet and this seemed to be the best place to answer all my questions.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

What operating system are you using?
Is the Benq jumpered as master or slave?
Is the Benq attached to the master or slave position on your ide ribbon?
Did you plug in the power cable?

I’m using Win XP Pro
I set it first as master (no change), then to slave (no change), finally to cable select (still no change)
Power cables are plugged in, lights turn on and I can eject the tray.

I checked my Device Manager and under the DVD/CD-ROM drives section, the computer says that it (the 1620) is an AVX CD/DVD-ROM SCSI (BenQ isn’t SCSI, right?) Cdrom drive. I’ve been looking for the driver specifically for dw 1620 pro but all I can find are firmware updates. I tried to flash it too but it says that the “drive is not supported”.

I’ve never owned a Dell, but maybe there’s something about their versions of XP Pro that don’t allow non-Dell hardware to be used? I’m really reaching here, of course. Is this XP pro sp1 or sp2? I have an OEM XP pro w/ sp1 and didn’t have any problems whatsoever getting my 1620 to be recognized. I don’t know what else to tell you. Have you tried another ide cable? Do you have another pc to plug the 1620 into?

This is XP pro sp2. My other pc is too old to be of any good. I just bought a new ide cable. Hopefully replacing the thing will make it work.

I’ve never owned a Dell, but maybe there’s something about their versions of XP Pro that don’t allow non-Dell hardware to be used? I’m really reaching here, of course. Is this XP pro sp1 or sp2? I have an OEM XP pro w/ sp1 and didn’t have any problems whatsoever getting my 1620 to be recognized.

I use XP PRO w/SP2 with my BENQ 1620 drive with no problems. Although I don’t own any dell pc but Ma_jie does and he didn’t have any problems with his BENQ 1620 drives. I would try installing your drive in another pc or buy a new ide cable a flat one. See if that would work for you. Check your BIOS to see if the drive is being recognized.

Right now I’m using a new Ultra ATA/66 IDE Ribbon Cable Dual Drive. BenQ drive doesn’t work and now my CD drive doesn’t work. Unfortunately the people in Dell placed the software driver in a CD not a floppy diskette. My computer keeps on detecting an infrared device but it can’t find the software for it.

Does the dw1620 require a real driver like *.inf file to make it function?

I could reformat the computer but there are files that I haven’t backed up yet and redownloading some of them could take a long time.

as already suggested buy another flat ide cable or a rounded ide one…last solution would be to reinstall windows…the BENQ 1620 doesn’t need any driver for it to function…i would try the brand new ide cable first before reinstalling windows and checking your BIOS to see if the drive is being recognized at all. :wink:

Hi jmu. DVD Addict is right: I have a Dell 4700, and I was able to drop my OEM BenQ1620 into it – it came w/ the Philips – and it works just fine.

Do you have TWO optical drives? If you do, double check to see that both are NOT set to cable select. When I first dropped in my OEM BenQ, it wouldn’t recognize — until I shifted the Philips jumper from cable select to master.

Cheers,

Jie

The 1st thing I’ll do tomorrow morning is to check the BIOS and make sure that I switched the BenQ to master. Its been a long day and I’m about to pass out.

I e-mailed BenQ.ca’s technical support to see if they’ve ran across a similar problem before.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys.

The AVX is not your BenQ drive! It is the virtual drive of alcohol.
Maybe it helps if your remove your driver for the IDE-channel which your BenQ is on.
WindowsXP should install it when you restart your computer.

BenQ finally works! I changed the configuration for the IDE and then both my CD-RW and DVD-RW work. The probably must have been caused by the fact that my old DVD and CD were set on cable select.

I feel relieved. Thanks so much everyone.

Anybody know is the best version should I flash the BenQ with. Is it the B7T9 or the B7U9?

Why not just use it for awhile and burn some discs before attempting anything else.

If you don’t mind disabling WOPC I suggest you stick to B7T9, it gives me better burning on DVD-r. For DVD+r I think it doesn’t make much difference.

Help me please. I have a Dell optiplex GX 240. I am trying to to install the BenQ 1655. My Pc is not detecting it. I am running windows 98se. What do I do???

I use B7W9 and it works very well. @spiderdan0 You would have better luck with a new thread or one about 1655. Good luck

Welcome to the forum. You will probably get lost in this old post but in the meantime: check to make sure your jumpers are set correctly, make sure your drive is on its own 80 wire cable or as the slave with a hard drive.

Windows 98 is quite old, I would expect you will have other problems as well. Is your drive in place of an older optical drive?

thanks man, how do i start a new thread?

K. So I am replacing an old dvd drive that came with the machine. what are jumpers? I am really new at this but I think I can fuigure it out with a lot of help. The Jumpers, is the the little thing at the back that you can slid from one postion to an other?

Yes, it is!