Benq Ew164b Problems

Hi everyone. I recently bought an external BENQ EW164B dvdr so I could use it with my hp pavilion ze4800 laptop. I had to buy a Belkin usb 2.0 notebook card to get it up the correct requirement which seems to work fine with all my other usb devices. The BENQ rewriter will read and play original dvd’s fine but will not read a blank dvd. Im totally new to burning dvd’s so I hope im not missing something obvious. Im using the latest version of nero and have installed the software from the disc I got with the writer. But as soon as I put a blank (DtatWrite 8x 4.7Gb dvd-r) disc in the drive either the drive will not read the disc or the laptop seems to freeze up until I unplug the usb cable between laptop and drive. Ive tried unplugging all other usb devices but no difference. Has anyone had the same problem, should I try a different make of blank dvd or try installing the driver/software again? Any help or ideas would be superb. Thanks…Andrew.

Anyone has a solution to this problem? I seem to have it too and I can’t find anything wrong with my writer.

Isn’t there anyone who can provide at least some help to this problem?

The BENQ rewriter will read and play original dvd’s fine but will not read a blank dvd.
How do propose to read a blank DVD?

I don’t know DtatWrite, but if you’re using Datawrite… Datawrite media isn’t good anyway, go Verbatim (Made in Taiwan or Made in Singapore, but not Made in India) or TY…
Which burning app are you using to write data to the discs?

The DVD writer doesn’t detect the blank dvd at all…it gives some kind of error.
It is probably not related to the brand of dvd being used.
Anyone with a solution to this?

Doesn’t anyone get the same problem at all?

Hi,

there are some points to think about:

• if you want help, then it is essential that errors are reported correctly.
  • also, basic specs of your computer hardware (CPU, memory, Harddisk) can help troubleshooting.
  • if you think, the drive is faulty, then return it if you are still under warranty.
  • using an USB cardbus-adapter, speed is limited to approx. 8x (or even less). This is, what I experienced with my notebook.

Michael

1.) The problem is stated in the first post.
2.) AMD64 Athlon 3500+, 512MB Kingston RAM x2, MSI Diamond Plus MoBo
3.) The drive can’t be faulty because it works on my other CPU.
4.) I seriously doubt my USB speed is limited to 8x or less.

Thanks in advance.

If you use packet writing software like Nero INCD or Sonic DLA, uninstall it.

Hi,

That was some guy with a notebook and USB cardbus adapter. I referred to that hardware configuration.

2.) AMD64 Athlon 3500+, 512MB Kingston RAM x2, MSI Diamond Plus MoBo
4.) I seriously doubt my USB speed is limited to 8x or less.

In that case USB speed shouldn’t be limited to 8x. OK.

3.) The drive can’t be faulty because it works on my other CPU.
See? This is a very important information. Then there is nothing wrong with the writer, but with your system.
Maybe your Windows is messed up. There are some copy protections, that install drivers disturbing the use of CD/DVD-writers.
Maybe you have buggy drivers installed…
Maybe there is a compatibility problem with your USB controller and the IDE/USB bridge of your drive. But I doubt that.

You wrote something about an error message, but you didn’t quote it. Sometimes, error messages are indeed meaningful.

Michael

The drivers are automatically installed when you plug it in which is the same method i used for the other pc.
The error message is Not Accessible, Incorrect Function whenever i try to enter the drive when a blank dvd is placed in it.
I’m not using Nero INCD nor Sonic DLA.

What does nero cdspeed’s disk info function display ?

how can i get to it in nero?

It is a seperate program. Just follow the cdspeed link to get the latest version, or take the one in your nero toolkit folder.

This is displayed when a blank dvd is in the drive.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R
Book Type : DVD+R
Manufacturer: : CMC
MID : CMC MAG E01 (000)
Write speeds: : 2.4 X - 4 X - 8 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4482 MB
: 4700375040 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Write strategies : 4 X
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
ADIP Information (11h)
0000 - A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F 00 00 00 00 - …&.?..
0010 - 00 00 03 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 47 00 45 30 31 00 38 - …CMC.MAG.E01.8
0020 - 23 54 37 10 02 38 6A 02 88 67 15 15 0B 0B 08 08 - #T7…8j…g…
0030 - 01 19 1B 0C 0C 0C 0D 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …
0040 - 01 00 38 38 02 27 61 16 08 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 - …88.'a…#…
0050 - 00 00 02 27 61 16 08 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 00 00 - …'a…#…

I’ve posted it above. Anything wrong about it?

Also referring to post #4, what exactly would you like to access on an empty disc? In fact, it is so empty that Windows Explorer can’t even tell as much. I’m afraid you’re concerned about a problem that really isn’t one. :slight_smile:

The reason being I can’t burn anything on my EW164B but I can read dvds and cds.
It reaches like 3% and it fails there with at least 5 different types/brands of blank dvds i’ve tried. When you try to excess an empty dvd, you should be able to at least get into the drive to see that its empty and not an error message popping up denying access to the disc.

Windows XP only comes with a built-in CD-burning service. This doesn’t work with DVD, so you’ll need to install dedicated burning software first (like Nero for example) to burn them.