Benq EW162i

I am not sure if this is the right place for this posting, but I already searched for a topic like this, both in this thread on over all forums, so I figured I would post it.

I just ordered a BenQ EW162i and I was wondering if anyone has had really good results for media with this drive, such as using 8X, and getting 12X speed.

Mods- please move this if its in the wrong place, and let me know where it should have been, as I looked around and didnt find anywhere particulary suitable.

B

Well the answers I ve benn getting about external burners, even though they are sold as 16x , are that they, in theory cant even phyically make it to 16x, so if you have done it since this post let me know your thoughts on this drive as I am thinking of getting one too. Hows the case? Quality? Does it feel cheap?

You are better off buying a 1620A on sale for around $40.00.
Then purchase a Plumax Case with PL-3507 Chipset ($32.00) that has both Firewire and USB2 support.
Best all around solution…

Is there a reason for that except for the $$?

Yes, The ability to burn @ 16X via Firewire !!!

So if you cant do 16x with the retail 162I, why does it say you can , even on the box?

You will not be able to reach 16X with USB2. The best you will do is 12X.
Using the external firmware installed in the 1620 internal drive gives you a burst rate of 24MB/s which is right speed for 16X…

OK? But the external FW installed on the EXTERNAL drive will do 16x then AS ADVERTISED? Why is it sold as 16x then if it wont? Its got to make it there.

On this message board, go read the “Big External Case” thread for all the details.

The external unit speed can reach 14x but you will have the option in Nero to burn at 16x … so that’s the trick… How about the Pioneer A08 16x burn speed that is reached only for the last 400 megs and usually leads to coasters… there are so many un-thrustworthy advertise boxes that you can figure out it is pure marketing label…

I have. I’m just responding to your posts. :slight_smile:
And I didnt see anything there about the LG 5163B external. That one in the review made it to 16x just fine, so it must be the liars at benQ thats feeding us BS. :a

The LG in there somewhere…
The LG did reach 16X on Firewire…
If I find where it is - I will post a link…

Only problem I noticed is…

You can only select 12X or 16X for burns (can’t select 14X)…

I have done both, the 12X burn is faster than the 16X burn because the slowdown after 14X goes way below 14X (like 10 than 8 than back to 12 that back to 8)…