BenQ DW1670 DVD Issue - Help Required

OK, I’ve been trying to sort this bloody thing for 14 hours solid now and I’m pretty damn agitated…

BenQ DW1670 will recognise everything but blank DVDs…

I managed to burn 1 DVD yesterday but since then, nothing… I’ve not installed ANY new software or hardware since installing the drive, the most I’ve done is shutdown my machine overnight, turn it on this morning and resume downloads… Nothing major really, not even installed any Windows updates recently…

Blank CD-R and CD-RW are found and burn fine, music CDs play fine and DVD movies are found and play fine, I’ve tried two different brands of DVDs so far, Verbatim and Infiniti, the one that I burned successfully yesterday was a Verbatim disk… Now I’m just not having any joy with any of the blank DVDs…

I’m running on Windows XP SP2 with an AMD 2400+, Generic 512MB RAM, 60GB Seagate HDD and a Lite-On CD-RW Drive… Unsure of the motherboard, cant find any markings or drivers for the thing…

I’ve emailed BenQ to see if they can provide a solution but who knows when they’ll do anything, so I’m asking you guys for a helping hand…

Cheers…

Edit:

Forgot to list the things tried so far from reading similar posts with different make/model drives…

Tried using different IDE cables and in both Primary and Secondary ports
Used Master and Slave Jumper Settings
Removed burning software (Nero and Alcohol 120%)
Altering the hardware settings in Windows (for what little there was)
Used different brands of DVDs
Tried using other software (Clone DVD and Windows itself)
Tried using BenQs own drivers for the model (versions 1.02 and 1.03) as well as windows generic driver

Cant think of much else I’ve tried…

You said you successfully burned a Verbatim yesterday. Did you try another verbatim after that? Theres been times I have suddenly run onto a bad batch, espeacially if they werent top notch media. BTW welcome to the forum. :clap:

How about the Cable Select jumper setting? Regards, gamma1

Yeah, tried at least three Verbatim disks as well as at least 2 infiniti

Yeah, tried that too…

Test it as Master with no Slave connected (disconnect the Lite-On).

Tried that aswell… Knew I forgot to stick something in that list :doh:

BenQ just replied, useless they are, “try different disks and make sure you have the latest BenQ Firmware installed”…

Now I’m sure trying other disks was the first thing I tried and then about halfway through my day found the latest firmware… Thats the kind of suggestion I would expect from my dad, not from supposed “Technical Support”…

Then it must be software related. Uninstall everything related to CD/DVD burning, especially any virtual drive software. Maybe clean out the Upper/Lower Filters in the Registry too. Then try to burn your DVD’s with ImgBurn.

How do I do the filters in registry? Its not something I’ve done before…

There’s a link here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1613489&postcount=43. I haven’t done this either, but I try to keep my main system clean (don’t install/uninstall a lot of software) and regularly clean-install Windows as well.

Make a backup of your registry first (click File -> Export in Registry Editor).

Still no joy…

Not much left now :confused: . Test the drive in another PC and if it does the same, get it replaced. If it doesn’t, clean install Windows on your box (once you get the hang of it, it’s actually fun :wink: ).

You can still wait a bit for more idea’s here. :slight_smile:

Well… I think I may have it sorted, my primary partition needed formatting anyway, so I done that, installed Nero again, didnt work at first, but then I installed Nero with InCD and it looks like its working perfectly…

Thanks for all the help :smiley: