BenQ DW1655 - WOPC and SolidBurn settings

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the BenQ DW1655. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]As this is my first post on this forums - hi.

I have BenQ DW1655 burner with newest firmware and I have some questions.

1. How should I set WOPC and SolidBurn options to achieve best write quality? I almost always use cheap CDs and DVDs, sometimes Verbatim… At this moment I have WOPC-on and SolidBurn-off/off.
  2. What write speed should I use to record CDs and DVDs for best quality? Maximum or not?
  3. In this topic I saw that there is possibility to change firmware to Philips DVDR1668P1 P1.6. Is there any benefits of this action?
  4. What is a max and average permissible jitter?

Sorry for my english and thanks for advance for the answer.

With cheap media I would leave WOPC and Solid Burn on. Verbatim may be cheap but its not bad, you could possibly turn it off with the Verbs.

Welcome to CDF rotflmao.
If you flash to the Philips f/w, then SB is enabled by default.
You’ll lose some BenQ utilities.
Stick with BenQ f/w.
Ideally to get the best out of SB.
Have it enabled for all media.
Once media is learned, disable WOPC.

[QUOTE=rotflmao;2099738]1. How should I set WOPC and SolidBurn options to achieve best write quality? I almost always use cheap CDs and DVDs, sometimes Verbatim… At this moment I have WOPC-on and SolidBurn-off/off.
2. What write speed should I use to record CDs and DVDs for best quality? Maximum or not?
3. In this topic I saw that there is possibility to change firmware to Philips DVDR1668P1 P1.6. Is there any benefits of this action?
4. What is a max and average permissible jitter?

Sorry for my english and thanks for advance for the answer.[/QUOTE]

1. First of all, SolidBurn should always be ON for unknown media, lest you just want to produce coasters on an obscure MID. There is never any logic to turning it OFF for unknown media, so just turn it back ON and leave it alone. Leave WOPC alone as well. That should always be ON. There’s little logic to ever turning that off either, except by the obsessive and anal experimenters. The only thing you need to ever think about is whether to turn SB on for KNOWN media. If you use a lot of really cheap and crappy media – and you’d need to tell us more specifically what you use, 'cause I doubt our definitions are the same – then turning SolidBurn ON for KNOWN media is a good idea. But as I said, that really depends.

2. A general rule that will help you stay out of trouble is to burn all media at half of it’s rated speed. A more specific rule would say that you burn data CDs at no more than 24x, audio CDs no faster 16x, 8x DVDs at 4x or 6x, and 16x DVDs at 8x or 12x. This also depends on the media. If the 8x DVD media is high-quality, then you can always burn it at 8x. If the 16x DVD media is high-quality, then you can always burn it at 12x, or sometimes 16x.

3. No benefits to doing that. Leave the drive as a DW1655.

4. Max jitter isn’t that important, because it can spike in a certain spot and then settle down. More important is the average jitter, which should not exceed 12%.