Benq DW1655 and Philips DVD8851 with TDK DVD+R DL not working

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the BenQ DW1655. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just bought a 50 pack of TDK DVD+r DL. Nero CD-DVD Speed says that they’re Ritek S04-066. I tried burning a backup game using these disks on imageburn and it did not work giving me this error:

I/O error!
Device: [5:1:0] Benq DVD LS DW1655 BCDB (J (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 1D 34 E0 00 00 20 00
Interpretation: Write(10) -Sectors: 1914080- 1914111

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 21 02 00 00 00 00 00 01 02 03 04 05
Interpretation: Invalid Address For Write

I’ve previously burning backups fine with Memorex DVDs but these always give me errors. I’ve tried using both my Philips drive and my Benq drive. I also just tried to burn a data DVD but it also failed. When i tried to burn a cd it worked fine so I dont think its my drive. I also updated the firmware to the latest versions.

Has anyone used Benq DW1655 or Philips DVD8851 with these DVDs?
I’ve wasted about 10 disks already trying both drives and different programs.

Would changing the firmware on the Benq help? I’ve read BCGB might be better. I currently have BCDB firmware. I just downloaded Qsuite and i noticed that under book type says DVD-rom for all of them. Would changing the current write settings to DVD+R DL make a difference.

The real difference would be changing the media itself. I’m pretty sure everyone will agree with me that only Verbatim DVD+R DL discs agree with BenQ drives (at least with the DW16xx series). Ritek S04-066 is a relatively new “dye”, and using MCSE (Media Code Speed Edit) shows that there is no write strategy present for this type of media with the BCGB firmware. Changing the booktype “setting” to DVD+R DL wouldn’t make a difference in helping you burn and it is actually recommended to keep it at DVD-ROM for greater compatibility with standalones.

The fact is, you’re better off using those Ritek S04-066 with newer drives or buying Verbatim DVD+R DL for use with your BenQ/Philips drives. IMHO you’re better off buying Verbatim media as you have excellent burners, and Verbatim DL discs are the only ones that I’d trust - Ritek DL discs still yield dodgy results, and I’m pretty sure are the culprits in your problem.

Did you Try BCIB? That is the latest. Far as I know… Get it her http://tdb.rpc1.org/ :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Thunderbolt69;2159551]Did you Try BCIB? That is the latest. Far as I know… Get it her http://tdb.rpc1.org/ :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I just tried BCIB and even tried BCGB before it but it didnt work. I also just realized that it stops at 50% exactly so could it be that it cant burn the second layer?

I will buy some Verbatims though but i thought i might as well try with these since I cant return them.

I have had some success with using the Ritek D01 write strategy on Ritek S04-066 media 2 succesfull burns and 1 bad… however I could not test more cause I run out of the discs… if you want to use cheap 8.5GB media with your BenQ 16xx you should use Ritek D01 (Arita Dual layer) they work fine.

I just bought Memorex DVD+r DL disks that I previously burned 8 games on and now they don’t work. I get the same errors as the TDk disks. I dont think i’ve changed anything since then and the Memorex disks also are Ritek s04-66.

I put in the old disks that i burned and the disk id for those were also s04-66. I dont understand why the just stopped working.What does that code mean?

Oh and i dont understand what the ro1 write strategy is.

Just for the hell of it, did you try to clean the solid burn under the Q-Suite V2.1 options? This worked for me on other single layer media such as RICOH R03…

[QUOTE=Thunderbolt69;2162136]Just for the hell of it, did you try to clean the solid burn under the Q-Suite V2.1 options? This worked for me on other single layer media such as RICOH R03…[/QUOTE]

What do you mean clean the solidburn? If you mean disable solid burn then I already did.

Does anyone know if these errors are possible from a bad wire connection or improperly connecting the wires?

I just removed the Benq drive which was the bottom one and left the philips drive. I even tried to unplug the wires for the Philips and use emergency open to clean the inside but it didnt work again. This time i got the error at 4%.

I also tried to do system restore to about a month before to when it was working but it still didnt do anything.

Since the Memorex and the TDK both have the code s04-66 does that mean that they are the exact same disks or would i have different results? If not then i dont understand why they both wouldnt work.

I finally got it working by removing all the things under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. When i rebooted the computer they reinstalled and then the DVDs burn fine but i can only burn one DVD then i have to repeat the process.

Does anyone know a permanent fix instead of resetting the comp twice before each burn.

[QUOTE=amana;2164989]I finally got it working by removing all the things under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. When i rebooted the computer they reinstalled and then the DVDs burn fine but i can only burn one DVD then i have to repeat the process.

Does anyone know a permanent fix instead of resetting the comp twice before each burn.[/QUOTE]

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
i thk this might work but im nt sure