Benq DW1650 won't burn past 4x

vbimport

I’m trying real hard to keep my Benq DW1650 going. I know it’s several years old and slow by today’s standards, but it rips pretty fast, and its scanning abilities can’t be beat.

Lately, it doesn’t seem my drive wants to burn past 4X. I don’t know how long this has been going on for, but probably at least a year or more. Since I don’t use this drive often for burning, the few times I noticed it at 4x, I chalked up to bad media.

Now I have a slew of titles I need to backup, so I put the Benq to work, and it won’t record past 4x to save its life (quite literally, cause it’s going in the trash if I can’t fix it.) I downloaded QSuite and tried various settings to no avail. I even tried enabling OverSpeed, and setting some 4 and 8x media to burn at 16, but it will still only record at 4x no matter what I do!

I reflashed to BCFC (from BCIC) and it didn’t help. Please help me save my Benq!

What DMA mode is the drive running with?

You may use nero cd dvd speed and perform a Transfer Rate Test (F2).

It’s presently on UDMA Mode 2, which I assume is the device default (fastest).

I have no issues with transfer rates; I occasionally use it to make backups, and it will happily run to 8, 10, 12x and beyond.

It’s presently on UDMA Mode 2, which I assume is the device default (fastest).

I have no issues with transfer rates; I occasionally use it to make backups, and it will happily run to 8, 10, 12x and beyond when ripping a disc.

I should note that the drive isn’t even [I]trying[/I] to burn past 4x. It’s not running out of buffer, and there are no bottlenecks whatsoever, such as getting information off the source drive.

It’s as if the burner is overriding my selection for some reason. I know some drives (Liteon?) will automatically use a lower speed when using suspect media in the interest of burn quality, but I didn’t think the Benq did this other than slowing down on the fly. Still, it doesn’t matter what media I use-- Cheap fakes, or top shelf Yuden000 T02, it will always start and finish at exactly 4x CLV regardless of what speed is chosen, or what options are set in QSuite.

I’m puzzled! I think it’s time to rip the drive apart and do a thorough cleaanig.

Have you been using it with SolidBurn set to ON/ON? If so, change it to OFF/OFF and clean the learned media. Then try again.

Hi,

is your drive connected to that Asrock motherboard from your signature?
What Controller is your drive connected to, and what operating mode is selected in Bios (if applicable)
Has the drive been faster recently - on the same computer?
Is there any improvement if you run your system at stock speeds?

I suspect there are issues with your storage controller. Be prepared to either install an PCI add-on controller card (preferably with Silicon Image chipset) or an external enclosure (my DW1650 did rather fine with a Cypress AT2 based enclosure, haven’t tried others yet).

And before I forget: Make sure you have a 80wires 18" (46cm) flat ribboncable installed, and this cable is in perfect condition.

Michael

Actually the system I presently have is AMD based, a 770 chipset. I know it’s not the controller- I have an ATA/133 hard drive on the same channel that I use infrequently, but it’s speed and burst rate are fine.

Looks like I’m going to be ripping it apart and giving it a thorough cleaning. IIRC, these drives are from 2006, that’s plenty of time for some crud and dust to accumulate in important places!

[QUOTE=adelphia83;2620746]Actually the system I presently have is AMD based, a 770 chipset. I know it’s not the controller- I have an ATA/133 hard drive on the same channel that I use infrequently, but it’s speed and burst rate are fine.[/QUOTE]Don’t say that - some controllers are optimised for HDD operation and do not support ATAPI devices. So please doublecheck. AMD’s native controller should do, normally.

What you could try also: burn a disc with Imgburn. It is logging the speed events also. That should reveal if the speed setting is accepted by the drive or overridden by a magical “stick with 4x”.

Michael

I tried Imgburn-- It reveals nothing out of the ordinary. When set to MAX burn speed, it chooses 16X, and in the log it displays “Write speed successfully set, Effective 22160 KB/s (16X).”

It then proceeds normally finally showing “Writing Track 1 of 1… MODE1/2048.”

During writing, the write rate starts around 2.4X and settles on 4.0X within about 30 seconds. Then it’s pegged at 4.0X for the remainder of the burn. I’m perplexed. I’ll dig around in the BIOS and see if there’s any settings related to the IDE controller that I could change.

The problem looks like unsupported media code.

What is the media code ( MID ) of the disks that you are burning ?

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2620812]The problem looks like unsupported media code.[/QUOTE]I doubt, this drive would accept 16x as speed setting for unknown media.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2620883]I doubt, this drive would accept 16x as speed setting for unknown media.

Michael[/QUOTE]

My 1620 show up to 16x with overspeed enabled but burns at 4x any unsupported media regards the write speed selected ( 8x, 12x etc ).
I suppose that 1650 behaves the same way.

By unsupported media I mean a MID not present in firmware.

There should be a MID in the the firmware for what I’m using. I’ve thrown all sorts of discs at it, CMC MAG M01, Yuden 000 T02, MCC004, Optodisc R008, the list goes on.

[QUOTE=adelphia83;2620916]There should be a MID in the the firmware for what I’m using. I’ve thrown all sorts of discs at it, CMC MAG M01, Yuden 000 T02, MCC004, Optodisc R008, the list goes on.[/QUOTE]

Well then, please post a full ImgBurn log so we can verify that the MID is, in fact, supported, and possibly see if something else is amiss. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2620910]My 1620 show up to 16x with overspeed enabled but burns at 4x any unsupported media regards the write speed selected ( 8x, 12x etc ).[/quote]Oh!

I suppose that 1650 behaves the same way.
Never tried that - and it’s kind of hard to get something unsupported unless you buy tons of no name brand media :wink:

By unsupported media I mean a MID not present in firmware.
Me too :slight_smile:

But we could learn, the problem is present with known stuff like Yudens and Verbies, too.

Michael

adelphia, is there any opportunity to test drive the unit with another computer or interface? USB/IDE adapter, something like this?
Perhaps you could also try a live Linux running from an USB thingy?

Michael