BenQ dw1650 jumper settings

Hi
Just bought a BenQ dw1650 oem which I am installing with an LG DVD ROM.
Problem is the 1650 came with no paperwork and the settings aren’t marked on the casing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

evereel

Welcome to cdfreaks. :slight_smile:

There are jumper position markings on casing although they are hard to see. Turn the drive against linght and you’ll see them. :wink:
Drive comes jumpered as “slave”.

zebadee also posted good pic’s here and here.

pinto! My 4550/3550 just died! That’s it for me and NEC. The quality has really went down on these new models. My 1640 and 110/A10 are perfect.
My question is which one to get for a replacement that will work as a slave?
New Liteon, 111, 1650, etc

That reminds me of a question asked many times here; what’s the best drive?
Honestly, I don’t think it really matters. :wink: Get the one you think will add “something” you don’t already have. Looking at your setup I would go for a DW165* or Lite-On SHM-165P6S.

I don’t have the latest Lite-On’s or BenQ’s simply because my current drives can do everything the “newer” drives can.
And on my setup, I haven’t noticed any differences if I connect drives as master or slave.
But then, every setup is different HW/SW wise… :slight_smile:

I have both the 1650@BCFC and 1655@BCGB and I’m happy with them in everything but DL burning. I used to use LiteOn drives in the past, but decided to wait b4 buying a new Liteon model, at least until their new Solidburn style firmwares mature. The 1650 and 1655 are both decent drives, (as well as the older DW1640 which sports firmware that has matured nicely), but remember that LiteOn has acquired BenQ so we should be able to see some decent new drives emerging from this partnership in the near future.

If you want a seriously good reader of damaged/scratched media I’d recommend the Samsung SH-W162C, it is by far my fastest burner with consistently decent quality, and it can also succesfully rip some heavily damaged discs that wouldn’t rip with ANY of my other active drives. You probably already know this as it has been covered b4 in this forum, but I will repeat it for the benefit of newer users: If you go for the Samsung and want to do quality scans with Nero CD-DVD Speed, don’t forget after installing the drive to go to the Windows registry to the follwing key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality

In there there is a value called Blocked, open that and remove the TSST entry so it looks like this:

SAMSUNG,HL-DT-ST,PLEXTOR

Close registry editor and you’re done.

I need a drive as good as the 1640 and 110 that will write cheap media very well. The 110 and 1640 do a great job at that! The 3550,716 will not do that at all. I will check out the Samsung, BQ and Liteon.
Thanks

deleted by poster

[I]Way off topic, sorry.[/I]

Yeah, but why go the xtra mile?
IIRC SH-W162* drives use MediaTek chipset^ and [B]KProbe[/B] would be a more logic tool to use when you perform quality scans… :wink:

^=basically the same as Lite-On SHM-165P6S.

imo, depends on whats master on your IDE, i know the pioneers like to be master (UDMA4) so if you have a UDMA2 drive as master and a pioneer as slave. i’d swap them around.

It must be a slave! trust me!

True, however I only use Nero CD/DVD Speed because the majority of users in this forum seem to be using it, which in my view makes it the more logical choice for comparative scanning…