BenQ DW1650 convert

vbimport

OK guys, first time here at the BenQ forums after purchasing the BenQ DW1650 DVD burner. I’ve been using my trusty NEC2500 for the last 2 years and am somewhat out of touch with the latest technology. A friend of mine convinced me to make the switch to the 1650 model since I have no use for the LightScribe feature.

I’ve reading some of the threads here I’m not sure which features should I enable/disable? There’s SolidBurn, OverSpeed, WOPC, etc. Seems like different people recommend different settings for different media.

I burned a DVD ISO image on my new BenQ DW1650 using TYG03 media(authentic) at 16X with ImgBurn. The drive came with firmware BCDC and I didnt touch any of the default SB, OB, WOPC settings.

I’d appreciate some feedback based on my results. I’m open to any suggestions…

That is what you will get burning TYG03 at 16x. Quite high PIE, low PIF and rising jitter from the middle towards the end. It should be no problem during playback.

I would suggest burning at 12x with default settings (SB off for known, on for unknown, WOPC on). If you then decided to try SB on, you will be able to compare the result using SB on and off.

qweqaz5, welcome to the Benq club! Nice burn. My feedback would be keep on burning and start at the top of this forum and read everything with 1650 in the thread title until your head explodes. It’s all here but there’s a lot of it. :rolleyes:

To avoid having to take the step of spraypainting out your movie title, er, uh, I mean your Disc Volume Name, in Nero CD-DVD Speed go to File > Options > Disk Quality and uncheck the Show Disc Label box. Then you can just click the little floppy disc thingy instead of the the book looking thingy you have been clicking and save .png pictures that show up a little sharper than the .jpg.

OK I’ll give that a shot tomorrow and I’ll post the results. Thanks for the feedback. Should I be worried about the high PIE errors and jitter towards the end?

Thanks for the warm welcome. Hopefully I’ll be here for a while…
I’ve actually been trying to read every single 1650 thread for the past 2 days. Boy, theres a lot of information to absorb.

Hehehe… will do.

Well I tried burning the same image at 12x this time…

OS - Disabled
WOPC - Enabled
SB(known) - Disabled
SB(unknown) - Enabled

Higher PI failures,lower PI errors, lower jitter and lower quality score. Does it look like a better burn?

[B]
EDIT :[/B] Cant seem to upload images for some reason…

Couldnt edit my last post; also I uploaded the images elsewhere…

Original 16X burn from first post:

[B]New 12X burn :[/B]

OS - Disabled
WOPC - Enabled
SB(known) - Disabled
SB(unknown) - Enabled

Higher PI failures,lower PI errors, lower jitter and lower quality score. Does it look like a better burn?

While the max PIF and total PIF is mildly higher in the second burn, the jitter and and PI levels are better. Discs can and will vary disc by disc, so you will almost certainly find that, over a number of burns, that the results will be better at 12x than 16x. 12x will nearly always give better results than 16x, this will almost always end up being the case regardless of media or burner.