BenQ DW1650: 1650 vs. 1655 Firmware

OK, so the BenQ DW1650 and DW1655 are technically the same drive except for the LS feature. So, they should burn exactly the same with non-LS media, correct? Well, the impression I’ve gotten from reading a lot of threads is that some folks consider the 1655 and it’s firmware to be a slight bit better than the 1650.

So, my question is, are there any people here with 1650s, that have cross-flashed them to 1655s, and finding that their burn consistency and overall performance is better? In other words, is your 1650 working better as a 1655?

I’ve seen some people here who crossflashed their DW1650 to DW1655, but don’t know about performance…

There is no difference in firmwares write strategies between DW1650 and DW1655 (for the non LS part).

I’ve been running my DW1650 (actually a Philips DVDR1660P1) with both drives firmwares and have only seen marginal differences in burn quality. But this might all be due difference in media quality…

Hasnt been very different for me:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=218943

I did the flash once, the difference was negligible if any so I flashed it back for the peace of mind. Try it and see if you like it. Of course, make sure you don’t kill the drive by accident :smiley:

Surprisingly, I got a ‘Flash failed’ message from Quickee’s BenQ flash tool. But I have not seen any problems with the crossflash so far :slight_smile:

No noticeable differences in my experience, BCIB vs BCIC.