BenQ DW1640 + RITEK F16 + BSLB/BEFB + SolidBurn = Coaster

I noticed a bug in one of my BenQ DW1640s with firmware BSLB or BEFB, where if I turn SolidBurn ON for known media and try to burn RITEK F16, I end up with a disk that is unrecognized, essentially a coaster. The burn completes fine, but you can’t scan the disk with CDSpeed, and if you unload and try to load it back in the same drive, the disk will not be recognized.

Burning RITEK F16 with BSRB and SolidBurn turned on for known media does NOT exhibit this problem.

Is this a known issue, or do I just have a bad drive? If not, can someone with a DW1640 and some RITEK F16 do a test using BSLB or BEFB? Turn SolidBurn ON for known media, then try some 8x, 12x, and 16x burns. Then try to quality scan the burns with CDSpeed after they finish. Also, unload the disk and then reload it into the same drive. See if the drive light goes solid and stays green.

Are you sure that Ritek F16 has a write discriptor in the firmware of BSLB or BEFB ? I would never use that media so I would never know.:wink: BSRB was the latest and may have one, where BSLB was older and Philips may not have added it.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2197645]Are you sure that Ritek F16 has a write discriptor in the firmware of BSLB or BEFB ? I would never use that media so I would never know.:wink: BSRB was the latest and may have one, where BSLB was older and Philips may not have added it.[/QUOTE]

You’re missing the point. SOLIDBURN is turned ON for KNOWN and UNKNOWN media, so it doesn’t matter.

This is about the operation of SolidBurn, but for the record, BSLB and BEFB do have a built-in strategy for RITEK F16.

This is about what happens when I don’t want to use that strategy, and have SolidBurn try to create one instead.

I checked one of the burns with my Lite-On and Samsung, and it can read them. Strange…

[quote=negritude;2197651]You’re missing the point. SOLIDBURN is turned ON for KNOWN and UNKNOWN media, so it doesn’t matter.

This is about the operation of SolidBurn, but for the record, BSLB and BEFB do have a built-in strategy for RITEK F16.

This is about what happens when I don’t want to use that strategy, and have SolidBurn try to create one instead.

I checked one of the burns with my Lite-On and Samsung, and it can read them. Strange…[/quote]
You got me. Just guessing.:wink:

It seems the problem is drive specific. While the media is utter crap, on another DW1640 it can read and scan the burned discs just fine. I already used a lens cleaner, so now I may have to crack it open and clean the lens directly.

I thought that BSRB fixed this issue. Did you try it? See here. http://benq-eu.com/support/downloads/downloads.cfm?product=750&page=downloads&dtype=B

About BSRB, the site mentions RITEKF1, but not RITEK F16 [the first is DVD-R, the second is DVD+R).

This was already resolved. Cleaning the laser lens fixed the problem. It was drive specific.

This particular drive has been demoted to scanning-only (no burning).