benQ DW1640 questions

vbimport

Hello, I just bought a new benQ DW1640 to replace my liteOn 812 that I was having ALOT of dvd quality problems with, but was wondering what software, firmware an media are the best for this benQ drive to back up my DVD’s an for the best quality. Thanks guys

Software for backups isn’t drive dependant at all- You’ll be fine with DVD Decrypter no matter what drive you use.

Firmware BSKB should be fine, and media is what’s good for most drives: Taiyo Yuden or Mitsubishi (Verbatim).

Thanks tehGrue, one more think I have verbatim in both -R an +R will they both burn fine or is one better then the other…

+R will be slightly better

Thanks Corbus, I hope I have better results with this benQ then I have had with my lite on.

Hi :slight_smile:

To get the best out of 1640 & the latest f/w BSKB you need QSuite2.

As for media, Verbatim, I’ve found that + is marginally quicker write speed wise (only a couple of seconds). Whereas - has marginally better quality 1>2%.

Verbatim 16x DVD-R disks are giving me awesome results with the
BenQ 1640 and the BSHB firmware that it shipped with from Newegg.
The drive is 100% stock with no mods or Qsuite stuff.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I did update the firmware to BSKB an I do have Qsuite2 but I have not changed no setting. Which setting do you recommend to tweak for best DVD quality playback? I also notice in the stock firmware the booksetting were all DVD-ROM where as in BSKB they are not. Will it affect quality changing DVD+R bookmark to DVD-ROM? Thanks guys

Here is my first burn with the drive.

Nice burn. If you set booktype for +R’s to dvd-rom it won’t effect quality but might make it more compatable to play in various players. I’m not sure i’d change anything for that type of disc. Looks great.

I’ll give that a try rolling56 thanks.

These type questions have been posted and answered several times on several threads, please use the search engine before you post new thread for the same subject.

I did do a quick search censored.

Okay guys. Let’s keep it friendly.

TCAS, thanks but please leave it up to the moderators to decide when someone needs instruction on forum procedures.

xxxcobra, please refrain from cursing at other members. If you’re not happy with a reply then report the post, otherwise a comment like “I think that is uncalled for” and a reason should be given.