Hi, all you very obsessive people (which I like), but absorbing all of this, even after trying for several days and weeks is just confusing the issue. The last time I had to make media decisions was a long time ago, when using plain old blank CD’s, to archive MP3’s and the like to, and Taiyo Yuden made the choice easy enough not to get a headache looking over various forums.
I’m an owner of a Benq DW1640, and an unknown rebadged ‘generic’ Benq, I believe it’s a Benq/Sony that is really a DW1655 (fuzzy memory - this research was done a long time ago), I don’t really use it – EAC what I primarily am using to burn things with (lossless audio), notices little if no difference in either. I read somewhere, that I can reflash (now?) the generic, but this is getting off topic.
- blank CD media for long time archival and to also serve dual purpose to occasionally pass files to friends
- blank DVD media for long-term archival of single movies or several compressed movies
- blank DL media (or whatever you call what this Benq model prefers) for long term archival, due to rapidly running out hard drive space
If someone could be so helpful as to telling me, regardless of price, what would be the best to purchase, and if possible a direct link to supermediastore or wherever you prefer to purchase from (I am from the USA), I would love you and that.
- a spindle or two of 100 blank CD’s - several year old Taiyo Yuden 48x has worked well, but now I’m out; so without advice I will purchase those again.
- blank DVD media, no reason to tell me the why of +D or -D, just tell me, and let me research the reason later. A single spindle of 100. Without advice, the best I can gather from grokking the forums is DVD+R …something… heh. Pointer, please.
- high quality DL DVD media, speed quality doesn’t matter as much, as these are meant for long term archival. Clueless, I can’t find much help on the forums in a useful definitive statement.
Thank you anyone for your time and any effort put into replying to this post. It is very appreciated.