BenQ DW1640 -- for DVD+-R *SL* (single layer)

vbimport

CMC Made PAPA Verbatim MCC004 (Old Packaging)

500 PIF between 1.0-1.5 GB in whole batch :frowning:

Philips DVD1628K @ BenQ DW1640 BSLB

SB: On/On OS: Off WOPC: On

Burnt at 8x w/ ImgBurn 2.4.1.0

Verbatim DVD+R
Media Code: MCC 004
Burned with: Dvd Shrink 3.2
Source: Original Disc
Burned at: 8.0x (DW1640 BSRB)

Some more scans after a bad batch, we are back to normal.

How comes you don’t get the comb effect with BSRB?? I do :frowning:

Comb effect [as I know it] usually doesn’t happen at 8x, I don’t think.

Any patterns seen at 8x are usually based on a particular batch of media or a quirk of your particular drive, IMO. :iagree:

Ya, I reflashed yesterday and I don’t get the comb this time :smiley:

New Retail BenQ DW1640 I had in the closet. I didnt flash it yet to BSLB
Burned at 8X with Imburn. WOPC OFF

Same drive after flash to BSLB
8X burn

WOPC was off on BSLB burn too?

Seems a large PIF drop for just a firmware flash :o

[quote=lawrywild;2085101]WOPC was off on BSLB burn too?

Seems a large PIF drop for just a firmware flash :o[/quote]
Same settings on both burn, every piece of media is different, if you look closely you can see slight imperfections in all media, some can be just dust in the air, if I really want a good burn I used some compressed air on the disc ( not to close now) to make it clean without touching it. I have had batches that had PIF counts under 50 and batches that had counts over 500, but in the end they all play great, bottom line scanning is just fun for me.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2085106]Same settings on both burn, every piece of media is different, if you look closely you can see slight imperfections in all media, some can be just dust in the air, if I really want a good burn I used some compressed air on the disc ( not to close now) to make it clean without touching it. I have had batches that had PIF counts under 50 and batches that had counts over 500, but in the end they all play great, bottom line scanning is just fun for me.[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah I know, I just assumed that you’d done more than 1 burn on each firmware and those were ‘average’ results :slight_smile:

I just broke my BenQ out of the closet after a long time and popped it into a cheap external enclosure while I am waiting on my Initio 1394A PHC500BC to show up I’m going to put it in that I have nothing but good luck with that enclosure/chipset but here is a couple of results from the cheap usb enclosure

a few more

Memorex 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05
Written at 12x
SB Off/On; OS=off; WOPC=on

Pretty nice scan. :iagree: Means nothing when compared to the TRT [didn’t fail; just canceled for obvious reasons].

[QUOTE=Albert;2089509]Memorex 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05
Written at 12x
SB Off/On; OS=off; WOPC=on

Pretty nice scan. :iagree: Means nothing when compared to the TRT [didn’t fail; just canceled for obvious reasons].[/QUOTE]

@ albert everytime I use read speed patch this happens to me on pioneer & what I don’t understand is if the drive can burn @ 18x then why in the heck can’t it read @ 16x!!!

TDK 8x DVD-R
TTG02 [MAH6; CMC Magnetics for TDK]
Written at 8x
Sony DRU-810A FW 1.0f

[My Sony/BenQ can’t do a full 16x read curve for some reason, much like the Pioneer can’t, so I just put the Pioneer back to stock and did it that way].

In external enclosure
this drive is over 2 years old and has been in the closet I broke it back out and put it into an initio (1430L-fw 4.73) 1394a enclosure tried BSRB & BEGB I did find out that a disk has to be cycled out after burning befopre scanning or there will be problems

I firgot to cycle this one out = bad trt after cycle it is ok
any one else’s 1640 do this??

more 164B = way better burst is there a newer firmware to the 164B?? than BEGB

more scans & burns

more :slight_smile:

all settings are default except when overspeeding then solidburn = on/on
but if no overspeed then solidburn = off/on
forgot to cycle dvd after burn :doh: