BenQ DW1640 -- for DVD+-R *DL* (dual/double layer)

vbimport

Verbatim DVD+R DL
Media Code: [B]MKM 001[/B]
Burned with: ImgBurn v2.1.0.0
Source: Original Disc ISO\MDS
Burned at: 2.4x (DW1640 BSLB)

This is my first [B]DL[/B] burn :bigsmile:

Verbatim DVD+R DL
Media Code: [B]MKM 001[/B]
Burned with: ImgBurn v2.1.0.0
Source: Original Disc ISO\MDS
Burned at: 4.0x (DW1640 BSLB)

Second DL burn :wink:

This is my first scan from a spindle of 20 2.4 speed verbatim datalife plus. It was burnt at 8 speed in 14 minutes.

Question. I have burned a spindle of 10 Verbs same as I had in the jewel cases at 8x and the scans are not so good. In fact I lost one disc entirely that would not read back full afterwards. The others read back but high error rates and wobbly speedtest curves. Because they read back does that mean that they will remain able to read back or should I reburn them at their rated speed? I don’t want to lose the data later down the line. I just want to know if they read back fine (Albeit with a wobbly speedtest curve) should they read back fine later on?

Hard to say with any certainty how they’ll hold up over time. While Verbatim is considered good media for stability, even the best media can and often will show some slight deteriorating over time. Add to that the fact that you’re looking at shaky initial results so the margin for error in deterioration is much smaller vs. a good initial burn. My suggestion would be to split the data that’s on those DL discs in question and backup their contents onto two SL discs and store them away, then if your DL discs fail you’ll have the backups to fall back on. If you want to retain the layer change info, rip with DVD Decrypter as an ISO image and then split the ISO image file with something such as WinRAR, and if the layer change info isn’t relevant then just burn the raw files onto SL discs.

MID: MKM 001
Brand: Verbatim (MIS)
Type: DVD+R DL (2.4x Rated)
Burned at: 4x (BenQ 1640 BSLB)
Burned with: ImgBurn v2.3.2.0

I was considering reburning this disc. I am obviously concerned about the large section of PIF’s early in the scan. Am I just being paranoid? (I do [U]not[/U] want to have trouble reading this disc in the future.) Thanks!

I don’t mean to be a pain, but would anyone mind commenting on the scan I posted above? I need to know if this “borderline” scan warrants a re-burn before I permanently remove the content from my hdd.

Thanks

Burned at: 8x (BenQ 1640 BSLB)
Burned with: ImgBurn v2.0.0.0 (I need to update; thanks for the reminder, gr33dy)

Burned with: ImgBurn v2.0.0.0

Burned with: ImgBurn ver2.0.0.0

Transfer rate test is smooth so I would say it’s safe for now. The PIF mountain must be dust or scratch? Other than that it’s a clean one.

@Some Random Guy: Excellent burns. :slight_smile:

Depends, I would run a reading/TRT test on some other drive (preferably DVD-ROM drive) to determine it’s wider readability. Though in general I do not trust a disc with large PIF clumps for archival.

The disc is brand new and was scanned just minutes after burn/verify.

Unfortunately, my only other drive is also a BenQ 1640.

I think I may just re-burn this disc… Based on the results of “Some Random Guy,” I may even trying burning @ 8x.

“Zevia” and “TL0,” thank you both for the feedback… Very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

TRT is okay but scan ended with NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION just before layer break :doh:
First burn with DL media, have I missed something?

Burned at: 4x (BenQ 1640 BSRB)
Burned with: ImgBurn v2.3.2.0
Solidburn: On/On
WOPC: On

:sad:

donpipo:

Did you figure out why your Nero CD/DVD Speed scan ended prematurely with “No Additional Sense Information”?

I recently flashed from BSPB to BSRB (not as good results overall compared to BSPB) then flashed down to BSLB since so many like it best. I had cleared all Learned Disks in QSuite when flashing from BSPB to BSRB.

First thing unusual I noted was a DVD+RW quick erased and burned the first time with BSLB was not readable in my Philips DVD palyer. This disc has been used many times previously, including a burn with BSRB. The disc was not recognized by Windows XP either (no directory listing) until I did another quick erase and reburned the data. Now all is fine with that disc. Was this problem because I flashed to an earlier firmware and the disc needed a second quick erase and burn before being recognized/readable?

Now I’ve burned a Verbatim DVD+R DL and recieved the “No Additional Sense Information” despite opening/closing the tray and even after rebooting and trying Nero CD/DVD Speed v4.7.7.5. This disc played without issue in the Philips DVD player. See picture #1. (This happened with the one and only Verbatin DVD+R DL burned with BSRB too. That disc played flawlessly in 2 diffrent brand DVD players)

Funny thing is, I got a complete scan completed without issues using an earlier version of Nero CD/DVD Speed v.4.61.2 beta, which I’ve used until “upgrading” to 4.7.7.5 last month. See Picture #2.

As far as I can tell, both versions of Nero CD/DVD are set up the same, the error “No Additional Sense Information” only occured with Nero Speed version 4.7.7.5, both scans were completed with the earlier version of Nero Speed 4.61.2 beta, and all discs play without incidence on standalone DVD players.

Does Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.7.7.5 have incompatability issues with BenQ 1640 burners, have problems with only certain firmware versions (BSRB, BSLB), suggests that I need to reflash the drive and do it in some specific sequence other than the standard Windows executable file from BenQ, or is my drive starting to fail?

Burned with: Nero 7.5.7.0
Solidburn: Off/On
WOPC: On
Book Type: DVD-ROM

I got the same error “No Additional sense” when trying to scan my DL disk as well (Using version 4.7.7.5, DW 1640 with BSRB firmware)

Did you eject the disk after burning ?

It was a disk I nurned couple days ago using Nero 8

[QUOTE=ala42;1970075]Did you eject the disk after burning ?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

I have Nero set up to eject the disc when burning is completed.

After the first error “No Additional Sense Information” I opened and closed the cd tray, knowing full well about this issue if the disc wasn’t ejected first before scanning with Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.7.7.5. The error occurred again as before.

Then I rebooted and scanned the disc after ejecting and closing the CD tray and had the exact same error.

Lastly, I used an earlier version of Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.61.2 beta and did [B]NOT[/B] have the “No Additional Sense Information” error in the scan.

I have burned another Verbatim (MIS) DVD+R DL (MKM 001) (the last from that spindle) and the [B]same[/B] pattern occurred depending upon which version of Nero CD/DVD Speed was used. This also happened with a previous disk from the same spindle and burned with a different BenQ firmware (BSRB). In fact, Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.7.7.5 has never completed a scan of the Verbatim DVD+R DL - all ended at/around the layer break with “No Additional Sense Information” - yet all disc completed scans with Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.61.2 beta all all disc’s play flawlessly on two different standalone DVD players.

So, you might understand why I am asking about a specific fault of Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.7.7.5 with BenQ DW1640 (BSLB and BSRB) and/or the Verbatim discs.

[QUOTE=nhatduongchi;1970074]I got the same error “No Additional sense” when trying to scan my DL disk as well (Using version 4.7.7.5, DW 1640 with BSRB firmware)[/QUOTE]It’s a known problem with 4.7.7.5, seems BenQ DL scanning is broken on all models. I’m not sure if all the 4.7 releases have this problem, but 4.6.0 is fine I know.